For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I was thinking about playing the five Think Tank personnel and the ship, solving two 50 point missions, and not using an HQ. No HQ would maybe blank some dilemmas, and generally be a weird deck I'd like to try.

I'd play with a lot of cards to thin out the deck (rituals, Optimism, Indebtedness) and Christening.

Then I realized that 1) Five is too few personnel, and 2) There's no Science for Harness Omega Particle.

So, how to get personnel in play without a headquarters?

Caretaker's array is in the right quadrant, and thematically appropriate. Fed personnel would also open up some additional missions. Buuuuutttt.... Voyager is pricey, and without a dedicated deck, there's not a good chance of getting the two free personnel.

Equinox is cheaper, so that's an option. It would be a reporting site for B'Elanna Torres, Straightforward Engineer, which solves two problems: damage on the Ivory Tower, and Science. Revised Janeway and Seska, Cardassian Agent also would bring in Science cheaply.

The second route I tried to follow was U.S.S. Enterprise, Earth's Savior. If I could get a [TOS] person in play, it could report to any of the three non-HQ Earths. The matching commanders Spock and Decker have Science, and could report with Captain on the Bridge. Probably not the most reliable, and I never did figure out a way to cheat in a [TOS] personnel.

The timeships play to the spaceline without a HQ, but would pitch all the Think Tankers, so that's out.

The last idea I had was to play with Ceti Alpha V, drop a To Rule in Hell, which would allow for Julian Bashir, Rebel Captain and Hannah Bates to supply science, and also keep with the high cunning theme of the TD personnel.

I think the 1-cost of Rule in Hell is the cheapest doorway to getting extra personnel in play. Mission set is:
Harness Omega Particle
Pegasus Search
Hunt for DNA Program
Destroy Transwarp Hub
Ceti Alpha V

Looks like they need some Security for Destroy Hub. There are options, but not cheap. Only Benbeck and Malik are 3 counters each. Others are 4.

So, that leaves us with a deck that has beefy personnel, hopefully a 2-mission win (with options on what missions to do), but no mid-mission chicanery. Add in an Enterprise-J, maybe something like Tapestry to get a restart if everyone gets killed.

Anyone have any suggestions? See any flaws other than the many I've already pointed out? Do you think Equinox is a better choice over To Rule in Hell?

And can we get an errata for Seven of Nine, Immersed in Chaos to give her Think Tank?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
SirDan wrote:And can we get an errata for Seven of Nine, Immersed in Chaos to give her Think Tank?
I don’t think so; I think the whole reason the Think Tank crew came undone at the ep’s end is because they couldn’t give her Think Tank.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
Danny wrote:I don’t think so; I think the whole reason the Think Tank crew came undone at the ep’s end is because they couldn’t give her Think Tank.
An excellent point.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
SirDan wrote:
Danny wrote:I don’t think so; I think the whole reason the Think Tank crew came undone at the ep’s end is because they couldn’t give her Think Tank.
An excellent point.
Was that episode after? If so, you could make a fanboy theory that the Think Tank escaped, but then got assimilated.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
One of my problems (probably the reason my decks stay Bad) is that once I get hung up on a tentpole for a deck idea, I can't see reason and won't take it down. Qo'nos and DQ Klingons may be a good pairing for the Think Tank - they already have a good distribution of skills and can readily report to the DQ. Conversely, using Deep Space 9 and Bustling would ensure you get a good mix of your non-aligneds out quickly, and a Rakal Shuffle wouldn't keep you from getting a key personnel.

But... I don't want a HQ. I want five missions with points so I can use Well-Prepared Defenses with impunity. I want dilemmas that reference the number of HQ's I command like Dal'Rok to do nothing and Agonizing to be expensive.

Is that worth the tradeoff? Probably not. But like I said, the calculus is pre-weighted in my head. And even though I am conscious of this derangement, I can't get past it. At least without building and playing the original design at least once. After crashing and burning with it I would probably come around and go with DS9. (After I tried and failed again with Think Tank + Equinox, of course!)

So. Onward with To Rule in Hell, for now.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]