For posting text-only dream cards (no graphical cards or links to sites hosting such cards) and for speculation on future sets.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Welcome all to this end of the year 2019 challenge! To make it more interesting this challenge will get double point from voting!

I updated now this post to reflect the entries from November's challenge. Please update your entries and vote for a last months entry. Please note that this votes will count double points towards the end of the year standing, which also do includes some prizes.

*** UPDATE ***
The deadline was extended until 20 December 2019. Voting will run from 20 December until 31 December.

ENTRIES FROM LAST THEMATIC CHALLENGE: We are old now
  1. [Evt] Much More Interesting
    After the Encounter at Farpoint, Picard ensures Riker that their future missions will be much more interesting.
    Plays on your orbiting ship at Deneb IV when you solve this mission. Going forward, any missions this ship is present at when you solve them, are worth +5 points.
  2. [Obj] Bridge the Crew
    Seeds on your ship or facility. You multi-affiliation cards are all of their affiliations while in play and allow cards of their affiliations to mix and cooperate where present. Your multi-affiliation cards may not lose or gain affiliations.
  3. [P] The Sheliak: Arduous Conferring
    In 2366 the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise encountered a race of strict legalists and were forced to entered tough negotiations. Captain Jean-Luc Picard turned out to be quite the pettifogger.
    You cannot progress unless you own a character card with at least Toughness 8 and Diplomacy in the Away Team or on the orbiting spaceship. Your opponent may reveal a character card with Diplomacy from hand during his or her next resource phase and put it into play tapped. Put this hazard card back when not solved.
  4. [Rom] Tasha Yar – Alternate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
    [Stf] [1E-AU] Security
    U.S.S. Enterprise security chief who transferred to the U.S.S. Enterprise-C. Consort of Volskiar. Mother of Sela. Would give her life for her crew, or her child.
    [SD] Leadership [SD] Anthropology [SD]Honour [DL] Sela [DL] Security Sacrifice
    Integrity 8 Cunning 7 Strength 8
  5. [Door] Game Store
    Place atop Game Store Side Deck (13 sealed Star Trek Customizable Card Game booster packs). Game Store is now open and in play. OR Stock in deck and use as follows: Play once each turn or when an opponent completes a mission (or successfully probes for a [BO] objective) to immediately open one pack from Game Store. You may seed one dilemma from pack under any opponent's mission and play any personnel and ships from pack where they can normally report for duty. Remove all other cards from the game. If you have a higher score than opponent, or played this card on your turn, lose points. [-10]
  6. [Int] Stripped
    Plays at the start of your turn. Until the start of your next turn, all personnel lose [DL] abilities and can only use standard skills. If your opponent has two or more Objectives or Incidents, you may shuffle this Interrupt into your deck.
    "I don't want to hear it. Just get me a shirt."

SCOREBOARD
WeyounsLastClone 11
commdecker 10
Armus 9
Pazuzu 9 (+1)
MattgomeryScott 8
HoodieDM 7 (+2)
Danny 7 (+1)
Naetor 6 (+1)
LostZoat 4
jrch5618 3
superdave 3
winterflames 3 (+1)
rferries 2
Cartagia 1
Smiley 1
Sexecutioner 2

PRIZE POOL
1st Place: 1 Year Premium Subscription + one random Continuing Committee Promo
2nd Place: 1 Booster Pack "The Motion Pictures" + one random Continuing Committee Promo
3rd Place: 1 Booster Pack "Reflections" (First Edition) + one random Continuing Committee Promo

THEMATIC CHALLENGE VI 11: ALTERNATE REALITY
Create a set of three to five Star Trek CCG (First or Second Edition) cards connected and based on an alternate reality that was seen or mentioned on-screen.
Such a set could be an engine card plus one or two characters, a ship and its crew or a time location and its natives. There are no limits. You can find a list on Memory Alpha.

DEADLINE 20th December 2019

Sneak peak for January's challenge: To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction.
Last edited by Pazuzu on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Pazuzu wrote:Create a set of three to five Star Trek CCG (First or Second Edition) cards connected and based on an alternate reality that was seen or mentioned on-screen.
Just to clarify, need the cards be based on events that were on screen, or could they be extrapolated from onscreen events? For example, a [NA] [AU]Tom Paris (from Non Sequitur) seems fair game because he's seen on screen, but what about a possible [Kli] [AU]Worf, leading Klingon forces against the Federation (from Yesterday's Enterprise)? This last one wasn't seen onscreen but it's possible.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:
Pazuzu wrote:Create a set of three to five Star Trek CCG (First or Second Edition) cards connected and based on an alternate reality that was seen or mentioned on-screen.
Just to clarify, need the cards be based on events that were on screen, or could they be extrapolated from onscreen events? For example, a [NA] [AU]Tom Paris (from Non Sequitur) seems fair game because he's seen on screen, but what about a possible [Kli] [AU]Worf, leading Klingon forces against the Federation (from Yesterday's Enterprise)? This last one wasn't seen onscreen but it's possible.
Make it so. Sincerely, we the voters.

But you're going to have to convince me Worf was not conditioned into a Section 31 agent after being rescued from Khitomer. Before ultimately murdered when Duras became Chancellor.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:But you're going to have to convince me Worf was not conditioned into a Section 31 agent after being rescued from Khitomer. Before ultimately murdered when Duras became Chancellor.
The timeline doesn't work out - in 2344, the Klingons have declared war on the Federation. At that point a four-year old Worf is living in the Klingon colony on Khitomer with his family (as the Romulans wouldn't attack until 2346). If anything, if the attack still takes place, he's killed (or at least, not found by Federation officers).

Maybe a [Rom] Worf?...

Maybe it's best to stick to onscreen events and depictions?

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:
Naetor wrote:But you're going to have to convince me Worf was not conditioned into a Section 31 agent after being rescued from Khitomer. Before ultimately murdered when Duras became Chancellor.
The timeline doesn't work out - in 2344, the Klingons have declared war on the Federation. At that point a four-year old Worf is living in the Klingon colony on Khitomer with his family (as the Romulans wouldn't attack until 2346). If anything, if the attack still takes place, he's killed (or at least, not found by Federation officers).

Maybe a [Rom] Worf?...

Maybe it's best to stick to onscreen events and depictions?
Up to you. You were starting to convince me.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
[Evt] (3) Temporal Vortex
Temporal.
Plays in your core. After your opponent has chosen dilemmas for his or her stack, you may stop your Borg Queen to have dilemmas revealed from bottom to top during this mission attempt.
"Sensors show chronometric particles emanating from the sphere."
[Int] Prepare for Ramming Speed!
Maneuver.
When your ship is in an engagement, or your personnel aboard are attempting a mission, for each [Cmd] staffing requirement on that ship choose one: that ship is attributes +1, or a personnel aboard gains Navigation until the end of this turn. Then place this on that ship.
Damage - This card cannot be removed from play.
"Perhaps today is a good day to die."
[S] •Typhon Sector, Engage the Borg
[AQ] <50>
3 Leadership, 4 Navigation, Cunning>48, and total Weapons at this mission>10
When you win an engagement involving your [Bor] or [Fed] ship, you may choose one: place a personnel from hand on a headquarters mission where that personnel could be played or flip this mission.
"We have it in visual range. A Borg cube on course 0 mark 215, speed warp nine point..."
[Bor] [Fed]
<3> (front)

[S] •Sol System, Assimilate Species 5618
[AQ] <50>
7 of any one skill, and Cunning>44
Region: Sector 001.
Expand the Collective may be played on your Earth and cannot be prevented or removed from play.
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
[Bor]
<3> (back)
[Fed] (5) •Jean-Luc Picard, Adept Captain
[Cmd] [TNG] Human/Borg
[SD] Anthropology [SD] 2 Leadership [SD] Honor [SD] Physics [SD] Security
Commander: U.S.S. Enterprise-E.
While this personnel is facing a dilemma, if a copy of that dilemma is overcome at a mission you command, you may discard the top card of your deck and stop this personnel to prevent and overcome that dilemma.
"I can hear them."
I:8 C:6 S:6
[Fed] (7) •U.S.S. Enterprise-E, Fleet Commander
[Cmd] [Cmd] [Stf] [Stf]
[TNG] Sovereign Class
When you play this ship, if you command more ships than your opponent, score 5 points.
"How many planets are in this Federation?"
"Over one hundred and fifty, spread across eight thousand light years."
"You mustn't get home much."
"Actually, I tend to think of this ship as home."

R:9 W:9 S:9
Last edited by Naetor on Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Pazuzu wrote: THEMATIC CHALLENGE VI 11: ALTERNATE REALITY
Create a set of three to five Star Trek CCG (First or Second Edition) cards connected and based on an alternate reality that was seen or mentioned on-screen.
Such a set could be an engine card plus one or two characters, a ship and its crew or a time location and its natives. There are no limits. You can find a list on Memory Alpha.

DEADLINE 20th December2019
Well this looks like a fun challenge for the cold winter month. I better get my thinking cap on! :D

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, but without TapaTalk notificatoins it's hard to keep up to date. I would say do what you want and let the voters decide :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Vote: A.

For my entry I decided to take a different approach, with a small "boutique" set of ships from a variety of alternate realities, including some familiar yet different ships and a couple of new ones. I also wanted to expand the roster of [AU] ships by bringing them to a couple of affiliations that haven't had any in 2E before, but realistically could have them.

It's also been a lot of fun to return to some of my favourite episodes, as I am a fan of the sort of "What If" stories these sorts of episodes involve.

My Entry:
[Fed] 6 *U.S.S. Voyager, Revised Warship

[Cmd] [Cmd] [Stf] [Stf]

[Voy] [Fut] Intrepid Class

While you do not command a headquarters mission, you may play this ship at Caretaker's Array. While this ship is at a [DQ] mission, you may play [Voy] personnel and equipment aboard this ship. Each non-unique [Voy] personnel you own gains Treachery, [Fut] and becomes a Hologram.
Order: Discard a card titled U.S.S. Voyager from hand to score 5 points.

Range: 9, Weapons: 11, Shields: 8
Notes: The U.S.S. Voyager from the alternate future of “Living Witness.” While some of the gametext is by necessity the same, I've made a few changes to fit the “Revised” version seen in the episode.

Firstly it's lost the ability to play [NA] personnel aboard (there's no place in this Starfleet for neutrals,) and the two free personnel when you play it. But in return this warship packs more of a punch with increased weapons and expands the “revised” crew a little with some “new” non-uniques.

Finally, in keeping with the rest of the “revised” cards, you can discard a copy of the card to gain an advantage, in this case some handy bonus points.

And yes, I'd like to have called it “Revised Voyager” but that messes up some other cards and there was no room for any more game text!

[Fer] 5 *Thief's Spoils, Mercenary Vessel

[Stf] [Stf]

Na'Fer Class

When your [Fer] [AU] personnel at this mission leaves play, you may download a [Fer] [AU] personnel with a different card title you do not command and place him or her aboard this ship. You now command that personnel.

“Brunt modified the dilithium matrix to maximise the output.”

Range: 7, Weapons: 5, Shields: 6
Notes: A little blast from the past, as the Mirror Universe version of Brunt's shuttle Audit's Spoils, as seen in “The Emperor's New Cloak,” brings with it a similar mechanic to the 1E Mirror Ferengi, and a new name more befitting of this Brunt's new occupation.

[Kli] 5 *I.K.C. Kruge, Klingon Battleship

[Stf] [Stf] [Stf]

[AU] K'Vort Class

Cloaking Device
Order: Discard an [AU] card from hand to begin an engagement involving this ship. If you win, randomly kill an opponent's personnel involved. If that personnel costs 4 or more, randomly kill another personnel involved.

"Federation ship Enterprise, surrender and prepare to be boarded."

Range: 7, Weapons: 8, Shields: 7
Notes: One of the Klingon vessels which attacks the Battleship Enterprise in the alternate reality of “Yesterday's Enterprise,” its ability is particularly nasty against that 4 or more loaded deck. Named for everybody's favourite Grand Theft Spaceship Klingon, because he too caused the destruction of an Enterprise so it seemed fitting.

And I.K.C. isn't a typo. As this is from a universe where things went differently, I decided to use the old 1E designation that Decipher mistakenly used back in the day and were stuck with ever since.

[Rom] 6 *Terix, Imperial Flagship

[Cmd] [Stf] [Stf] [Stf]

[AU] D'deridex Class

Cloaking Device
When you reveal cards from the top of an opponent's deck, if this ship is staffed and your corresponding Commander is aboard, you may discard one of the cards revealed. You may do this only once each turn.

“Has Starfleet Command approved this arrangement?”
“No.”
“I like it already.”

Range: 7, Weapons: 9, Shields: 9
Notes: A new persona of the Romulan Warbird Terix, this time from the episode “All Good Things” Part 2, where it's the flagship of a Romulan fleet and commanded by Tomalak. While the ol' Terix fits into the Romulan theme of making people discard cards from hand when attempting missions, this one works better with her Irate Commander, adding a bit of a sting to those card reveals.

[SF] 5 *I.S.S. Khan's Wrath, Imperial Vessel

[Cmd]
[Pa] [AU] NX Class

To play this ship, you must command 3 [AU] personnel. While you have no cards in hand, this ship is Weapons +2.
When an engagement begins involving this ship (or your [SF] ship at this mission,) if you have no cards in hand you may download a Maneuver Interrupt.

Terran battleship that engaged the Starship Defiant in 2155. Later swore fealty to Empress Sato, a superior leader.

Range: 6, Weapons: 5, Shields: 5
Notes: While I'm not sure it appeared on screen, according to the novel “Ages of the Empress” the Khan's Wrath was part of a fleet of ships which responded to the Starship Defiant heading for Earth in “In A Mirror Darkly” Part 2. It gives the Mirror Starfleet a slightly more battle orientated option, and also addresses one of the drawbacks of the “no cards in hand” mechanic, by allowing you to use Maneuver Interrupts.

Originally I was going to call this something else, but that name was just too cool not to use!

I also just want to take the opportunity to thank Pazuzu for taking over Thematic and doing such a brilliant job of running it this year. I'm already looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for 2020!

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Last edited by MattgomeryScott on Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I updated now this post to reflect the entries from November's challenge. Please update your entries and vote for a last months entry. Please note that this votes will count double points towards the end of the year standing, which also do includes some prizes.

As a reminder, December's challenge only runs until 20th December 2019. Then, we will vote for the December entries and find a winner of Season VI of the Thematic Challenges that were started by MattgomeryScott back in December 2010.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Vote E (This is just perfect!)

Because my entry from the Thematic Challenge VI 05 and because All Good Things is one of my most favourite episodes, I decided to build my entry around this entry and add some more missing cards from that episode.
[Fed] Vintner Picard
In 2395 in an alternate timeline Jean-Luc Picard became a vintner in La Barre, Earth. Has advanced Irumodic Syndrome. Once married to Beverly Picard. Solved the never ending trial.
CIVILIAN [1E-AU]
[SD] May meet any one requirement of Investigate Anti-Time Eruption.
[SD] Your 2395 [1E-AU] cards and Admiral Riker may mix and cooperate here.
[SD] Music [DL] Any 2395 [1E-AU] card OR Admiral Riker.
Integrity 7 Cunning 5 Strength 3
[Fed] Professor Data
Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University in an alternate timeline in 2395. Lives at Isaac Newton's house with several cats. Able to use contractions.
CIVILIAN [1E-AU]
[SD] ENGINEER [SD] Computer Skill x2 [SD] Music
[SD] Astrophysics x3 [SD] Physics x2
[SD] Scores 10 points if helps solve Spatial Anti-Time Anomaly.
[DL] Data Laughing
Integrity 7 Cunning 12 Strength: 12
[Fed] Nell Chilton
Ensign served as helmsman abroad U.S.S. Pasteur in an alternate timeline in 2395. Got the position with the help of her boyfriend. Killled during a Klingon attack.
[Stf] OFFICER [1E-AU]
[SD] Navigation x2 [SD] MEDICAL [SD] Youth
[SD] May volunteer for random selections (if applicable).
Integrity 7 Cunning 7 Strength 5
[Fed] Geordi
Former chief of engineering abroad the U.S.S. Enterprise and captain of the U.S.S. Challenger. Visited his old friend and captain Jean-Luc Picard regulary in La Barre, Earth in an alternate timeline in 2395.
CIVILLIAN [1E-AU]
[SD] ENGINEER x2 [SD] Computer Skill [SD] Navigation [
SD] Physics [SD] Diplomacy
[SD] May report (for free) to Vinter Picard.
Integrity 8 Cunning 7 Strength 5
[P] Picard's Vineyard
2395 Earth: Alternate future where Captain Picard retired as a vitner in La Barre, Earth.
Plays on Table. You may download Vintner Picard here. Native to this timeline: all [1E-AU] cards with "alternate timeline" and "2395" in lore. Once each turn, one such card reporting at this location may report for free. When you solve Investigate Anti-Time Eruption, score points and discard timeline. [20]

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Vote: D
[P] Roswell Military Base Camp
1947 Earth: U.S. Military base stationed in New Mexico.
Seeds or plays on table. Once per turn, your cards native to this timeline or your Quark, Rom, Nog, or Quark's Treasure may play for free here. Every turn, first time you report a non-human here, draw three cards and then discard two from hand. Native to this timeline: all personnel and equipment with "1947" in lore.

[NA] Faith Garland
[1E-AU] MEDICAL
Nurse in the United States Army Air Forces in 1947. Romantically involved with Jeff Carlson. Helped the Ferengi escape.
[SD] Honor [SD] Exobiology [SD] Anthropology [DL] Rescue Captives
INTEGRITY: 8 CUNNING: 7 STRENGTH: 4

[NA] Jeff Carlson
[1E-AU] SCIENCE
Professor stationed in Roswell in 1947. Romantically involved with Faith Garland. Befriended the Ferengi who accidently crashed at the base.
[SD] Biology [SD] Honor [DL] Incoming Message - Ferengi
INTEGRITY: 7 CUNNING: 8 STRENGTH: 6

[NA] Rex Denning
[1E-AU] OFFICER
Lieutenant general who was a flag officer in the United States Army Air Forces. Stationed at the Roswell Military base camp during the 1947 encounter of the Ferengi.
[SD] Leadership x2
INTEGIRY: 6 CUNNING: 7 STRENGHT: 8
~D

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Vote B

[Evt](2) •Before and After
Temporal. Plays in your core. At the start of your turn, you may shuffle your [AU] , [Fut] , or [Pa] personnel in play into your deck to download a [AU] , [Fut] , or [Pa] personnel with the same card title (or with lower cost of the same affiliation) and place him or her at that mission (that personnel is stopped).
"As far as I can tell I've jumped backwards a total of five times so far."

[NA](4).• Kes, Confused Grandmother
[Voy] [Fut] Ocampa
Anthropology, Biology, Diplomacy, Honor, Telepathy
Order- Download Kes. You may remove that Kes, this personnel, and a copy of Kes from your discard pile from the game to score 15 points.
"Everyone listen to me, please."
Integrity 7 Cunning 6 Strength 3

[NA](2) • Kes, Determined Ocampa
[Voy] [AU] Ocampa
Biology,Honor, Medical, Science, Telepathy
Order- Download a [AU] , [Fut] , or [Pa] card. Discard it, then shuffle a [AU] , [Fut] , or [Pa] card from your discard pile into your deck.
"I have to find the exact temporal variance of that torpedo."
Integrity 7 Cunning 6 Strength 4

[NA](0) • Kes, Confused Child
[Pa] Ocampa
Anthropology, Telepathy
At the end of your turn you must choose: place this in your discard pile to draw a card, or discard a card from hand to shuffle this card into your deck.
"Please try to believe me. I've been living aboard a starship called Voyager."
Integrity 7 Cunning 5 Strength 3

[Fed](2) • Linnis, Concerned Daughter
[Voy] [Stf] [AU] Human/Ocampa
Biology, Medical, Physics, Science, Telepathy
When a personnel present is shuffled into your deck, choose an event. Until the start of your next turn, opponent's cards cannot destroy that event.
"I'm your daughter and I love you."
Integrity 6 Cunning 6 Strength 5

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Vote: F
[Fed] (3) •Chakotay, "Galaxy's Most Wanted"
Human
[Cmd] [Voy] [Fut]
•Anthropology •Archaeology •Leadership •Security •Treachery
Commander: Delta Flyer. Thief. When you play this personnel, you may examine the top four cards of your deck. You may reveal a [Fut] card and take it into hand. Place the remaining cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.
INT 5 CUN 6 STR 5
[Fed] (3) •Tessa Omond
Human
[Stf] [E] [Fut]
•Anthropology •Engineer •Physics •Transporters •Treachery
Thief. You may play this personnel aboard your [Voy] ship. While this personnel is present with your Chakotay, she is attributes +1 and gains Honor.
"I didn't want Chakotay or Harry to have to face this alone."
INT 5 CUN 6 STR 5
[Int] "Guardian Angel"
Temporal. When your unique personnel is facing a dilemma, you may discard a [Fut] personnel with the same title from hand to make him or her gain all the discarded personnel's skills and attributes of until the end of that dilemma.
"...but if you're watching this right now, that means all of that has changed. You owe me one."

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]