For posting text-only dream cards (no graphical cards or links to sites hosting such cards) and for speculation on future sets.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I am very sorry for the delay. As you know now, Decipher has "ended" the game of Trek, but I have been working diligently and behind the scenes to keep things going, and this has consumed a lot of my time. I hope you'll forgive me.

Check out the master post for a record of previous contests!

Now, let's look at the results from last time. This contest is the second (#6 or 8) for Segment #6. The winner was Foreman's The Doctor, Renaissance Man. Congrats!

Now, typically, we do voting for the winner of the previous week's contest. But since it's been so long, and the last edition was the 50th anniversary edition anyway, I've decide to just choose winners for each episode and we'll continue the series.

For the Enterprise episode, "North Star", the winner is CaptMDKirk:
[P] 2 Unfamiliar Territory
Dilemma
Choose to stop either an Engineer or two [Stf] personnel. If you cannot, this dilemma returns to its owner's dilemma pile and the next dilemma revealed during this mission attempt is cost -2.
"Do you have any experience riding these animals?"
"Look, how hard can it be?"
For the Original Series episode, "Shore Leave", the winner is Foreman:
[P] 3 Be Careful What You Wish For
Dilemma
When this dilemma is revealed, you may discard any number of cards from your hand. Randomly select a number of personnel equal to the number of cards in your hand. Those personnel are stopped.
"Don't think of anything!"
For the Next Generation episode, "The Game", the winner is ravinok:
3 •Optical Burst Pattern
Event
To play this event, you must command two personnel you own but do not command. Discard this event to re-take command of up to two personnel you own, but do not command.
To help the crew escape the effects of the Ktarian Mind Game, Data reconfigured a Palm Becon to emit an optical burst that counteracted the game, effectively returning its victim's higher reasoning center to normal.
For the Deep Space Nine episode, "Civil Defense", the winner is The_Guardian:
0 •Reactor Overload
Event
To play this event, you must command three [DS9] personnel. Plays in your core. When you lose 5 points, you may destroy two of your events to score 5 points. You may do this only once each turn.
"We may not have time to disengage the fusion initiator. What would happen if we directed the explosion into the shields?"
For the Voyager episode, "Think Tank", the winner is MattgomeryScott:
[NA] 7 •Eureka, Think Tank Ship
[Cmd][Cmd][Stf]
Brainiac Class
To staff this ship you must have a personnel with Cunning >6 aboard. When you attempt a mission, if this ship is staffed and at that mission, you may meet Integrity and Strength requirements with Cunning instead. When you complete a mission using Cunning, if this ship is staffed and at that mission, you may download an equipment card or a personnel with Cunning >6 and place them aboard this ship.
"Oh, I'm sure you'll find a solution. Just give it some... thought."
[RANGE 9] [WEAPONS 9] [SHIELDS 9]
For the Animated Series episode, "More Tribbles, More Troubles", the winner is WeyounsLastClone:
3 More Troubles With Tribbles
Event
Plays in your core. Add 5 to each of your mission's attribute requirements. At the end of your turn, give command of this event to the opponent on your left.
"There's no such thing as a safe tribble."
That brings the scores to:

13 Foreman (47)
12 The_Guardian (110)
11 CaptMDKirk (122)
10 WeyounsLastClone (129)
9 ravinok (84)
8 MattgomeryScott (12)
7 deciusmaurus (119)
4 MidnightLich (42)
4 Capt_Frank_Hollister (35)
3 GooeyChewie (104)
3 Mogor1 (9)
3 anjohl (3)
2 madman22 (27)
1 Armus (73)

Not entered this segment:

0 keras (36)
0 traflaz (36)
0 Devoras (26)
0 JamesValEson (20)
0 jawajames (17)
0 KaiserK (15)
0 Ceridwen (14)
0 Benjita (11)
0 jjh191 (11)
0 Frimmel (10)
0 Mixer (6)
0 Evil_Spock (3)
0 whitestar29 (3)
0 ozuraravis (2)
0 CaptainSummers (1)
0 grandnagusmorn (1)
0 NalanBal (1)

Let's get back to the contest!

The point of this contest is simple. Each week, you'll get an episode title randomly pulled from the episodes of each of the five Star Trek television series. Your job is to make a card - any card - based on that episode. You can make any card type, from dilemma to mission to ship, as long as it draws from that episode. I'll provide a brief summary of the episode, just in case you can't quite remember it.

Each month, the participant with the highest score will get a random foil and their choice of cards from my extensive trade list sent to your home - guaranteed.

So, ready to play?

Episodic #51: Season 2 TOS's The Gamesters of Triskelion
Three disembodied beings wager on fights staged by prisoners abducted from around the galaxy.

Don't forget, these entries are due Friday, December 21st. Have fun and good luck!

Next: I Hope It's at Least a +1
Last edited by MidnightLich on Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dilemma
When this dilemma is revealed, you may discard any number of cards from your hand. Randomly select a number of personnel equal to the number of cards in your hand. Those personnel are stopped.
I really love this card. It fits the story while also changing the game a bit. While I'm not a stickler for story, when I see great gameplay that follows the story, it's a big bonus.
3 •Optical Burst Pattern
Event
To play this event, you must command two personnel you own but do not command. Discard this event to re-take command of up to two personnel you own, but do not command.
To help the crew escape the effects of the Ktarian Mind Game, Data reconfigured a Palm Becon to emit an optical burst that counteracted the game, effectively returning its victim's higher reasoning center to normal.
While I don't mind the somewhat limited gameplay, it could use a bit of refinement.
Event
Select an opponent. Place at your headquarters mission up to two of his or
her personnel that you own. You now command those personnel. Discard
this event.
0 •Reactor Overload
Event
To play this event, you must command three [DS9] personnel. Plays in your core. When you lose 5 points, you may destroy two of your events to score 5 points. You may do this only once each turn.
"We may not have time to disengage the fusion initiator. What would happen if we directed the explosion into the shields?"
I like this.
3 More Troubles With Tribbles
Event
Plays in your core. Add 5 to each of your mission's attribute requirements. At the end of your turn, give command of this event to the opponent on your left.
"There's no such thing as a safe tribble."
Nice.
Last edited by Mogh on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
3 •Optical Burst Pattern
Event
The thing that irks me about this card is that it doesn't function because it is impossible to command cards that you do not command. Try this:
"...an opponent must command two personnel that you own. ..."

Also, there is no "re-" doing of anything in 2E. And would the personnel then potentially stuck on an opponents ship? Plus, event's in play are "destroyed" not "discarded." Finally, this event never says where it is played nor if it must be immediatly destroyed (which probably makes the most sense and in which case it doesn't need to be unique).

The text should probably read (if it is meant to be used immediately):
"To play this event, an opponent must command two personnel that you own. Place two personnel an opponent commands but you own on your headquarters mission where they could be played (you now command those personnel). Destroy this event."
(Though still might need some touch-up)

Or (if it is meant to be able to stick around in the core):
"To play this event, an opponent must command two personnel that you own. Plays in your core.
Order - Destroy this event to place two personnel an opponent commands but you own on your headquarters mission where they could be played (you now command those personnel)."
(You could chose another timing for this text by going with "At the start of your turn..." or "At the end of your turn...", for example, instead of an Order.)
Last edited by CFHollister on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Dilemma
I really love this card. It fits the story while also changing the game a bit. While I'm not a stickler for story, when I see great gameplay that follows the story, it's a big bonus.
That's what I was going for. I think that sometimes there could be a stronger connection to story in 2E without having to sacrifice gameplay. I thought it was interesting that this dilemma would interact with TOS and all it's extra drawing. I kinda made up the quote though. I assumed from the episode synopsis that somebody must say something like that.
Last edited by Foreman on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Foreman wrote:
Dilemma
That's what I was going for. I think that sometimes there could be a stronger connection to story in 2E without having to sacrifice gameplay. I thought it was interesting that this dilemma would interact with TOS and all it's extra drawing. I kinda made up the quote though. I assumed from the episode synopsis that somebody must say something like that.
It made me think of the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]