For posting text-only dream cards (no graphical cards or links to sites hosting such cards) and for speculation on future sets.

-  
I apologize if I'm asking in the wrong place. New to the forums.

Looking at all the wonderful virtual sets, I'm curious why there are none for any of the new shows? Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, Prodigy?

There's so much content there. Am I allowed to ask this?

Thanks in advance.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
CitizenKeen wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:14 pm I apologize if I'm asking in the wrong place. New to the forums.

Looking at all the wonderful virtual sets, I'm curious why there are none for any of the new shows? Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, Prodigy?

There's so much content there. Am I allowed to ask this?

Thanks in advance.
Very short answer: Legal reasons.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Over at The Dojo’s Discord Server!

We have a pretty sizable DC category with Photoshop templates to help you make your own. These templates include logos from all the new shows which make them the best.

(Link in my signature below)

TK

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
Longer answer: the CC doesn't want to risk Star Trek's rightsholders shutting them down with a cease-and-desist letter (which the CC does not have the resources to fight in court, even if they might be covered by exemptions in intellectual property law). The prevailing thought is that this risk is minimised so long as only that material to which Decipher held the licence is used.

The one exception is The Animated Series, but that's only used for Tribbles and predates The Next Generation.

By Yalenus
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'm actually surprised that the Star Wars version hasn't been hit, considering that they're doing "new" stuff, and Disney is notorious for being more litigious regarding their IP, and they actually have a card game (though it's a deckbuilder) out right now.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Yalenus wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:15 pm I'm actually surprised that the Star Wars version hasn't been hit, considering that they're doing "new" stuff, and Disney is notorious for being more litigious regarding their IP, and they actually have a card game (though it's a deckbuilder) out right now.
Oh, wow, they sure are. And it looks like they've been doing so for a while now.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
The Star Wars folks get around it by not using any official images. The card slips technically have to go over original Decipher cards, and they either use the Decipher card image or an Player’s Committee generated image. A lot of the card images from the “newer” Star Wars material is either computer generated or cosplayers.

By Yalenus
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:58 am Some of the cosplay stuff is pretty bad, too.
I wasn't gonna say it, but looking again with a critical eye?

Oooof.

Just....ooof.

Still shocked they haven't brought down the Wrath of the Mouse considering how frighteningly well known for being litigious they were in the past BUT...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Yalenus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:06 pm
Fritzinger wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:58 am Some of the cosplay stuff is pretty bad, too.

Oooof.

Just....ooof.

Still shocked they haven't brought down the Wrath of the Mouse considering how frighteningly well known for being litigious they were in the past BUT...
"Your honor, we move to dismiss this case on the grounds that the image presented is clearly NOT a Star Wars actor. I mean, look at him..."

:D

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 pm
Yalenus wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:06 pm

Oooof.

Just....ooof.

"Your honor, we move to dismiss this case on the grounds that the image presented is clearly NOT a Star Wars actor. I mean, look at him..."

:D
You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:42 am The Star Wars folks get around it by not using any official images. The card slips technically have to go over original Decipher cards, and they either use the Decipher card image or an Player’s Committee generated image. A lot of the card images from the “newer” Star Wars material is either computer generated or cosplayers.
I'll admit it's been a while since I looked, but I thought they also got around it by not using the actual names of the characters in some cases.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]