For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
On the day of the 2nd European Biermeisterschaft I plan to found the WBA. Anyone interested in this global enterprise but unable to attend EC 2008 should PM me and thus may be able to become a founding member from afar, even involved in fateful first decisions about the chairman and so on. My impression is that Americans also want to partake in Biermeisterschaften (German plural), and even though I don't want to work at a strict COC / OPG etc. there oughta be some rules. Especially about the location of 2009's first WORLD BIERMEISTERSCHAFT. Let's just say the location will be voted for by WBA members and / or participants of tourneys sanctioned by the WBA. So if you want to get the WORLD BIERMEISTERSCHAFT into your backyard, act accordingly...

:cheersL: :mrgreen: :cheersR:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Sooo, are you guys going to come up with some STCCG drinking games? Something like, pull a crappy rare from a pack and take a drink?

By nosfer2
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Sooo, are you guys going to come up with some STCCG drinking games? Something like, pull a crappy rare from a pack and take a drink?
The first rule that comes to mind is: if you pull 'Blended', immediately down your cocktail.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
As I already explained privately to Maggie, the Biermeister rules can be found here:

http://www.open-cards.de/node/118

So far there was astoundingly little interest in joining the WBA. Don't lose track of the fact that probably only WBA members will be able to vote for the location of next year's World Biermeisterschaft. This alone should motivate some US residents...
Last edited by Borgified Tribble on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Rules and Regulations of the World Biermeister Association (WBA)

I. Membership
Membership is open to any person legally allowed to drink beer. Ability to play STCCG is strongly advised but optional.

II. Membership fee
The annual membership fee of the WBA is currently 2,50 Euro. The monies are used to further the global organisation of WBA events. This includes beer rounds at events to encourage players to become member of the WBA.
Sidenote: at the 2008 European Biermeisterschaft every WBA member will get his first beer paid for by the WBA proxy Chairman Thomas Vorwerk
Monies are governed by the current Chairman. A "Financial and Consuming Advisor" (FCA) is elected and assigned to support the Chairman and keep him from drinking everything him- or herself.

III. WBA judge levels
Every WBA member allowed by TCC standards to judge an ongoing Biermeister tournament (European Biermeisterschaft 2008 is viewed upon by the WBA as level 2 since the TCC authorities didn’t reply to a PM asking about “official” levelling) may increase his WBA judge level by assisting the head judge with sound rulings. A sound ruling (all qualified judges present decide upon the validity of rulings) may earn someone a WBA judge level equivalent to the number of beers this judge has consumed - but only in accordance to his or her victory points at this event. So you can theoretically become a level 12 WBA judge. (Maybe even level 15 if for the World Biermeisterschaft we should decide to go to five rounds.)

IV. Election of Chairman and FCA
The Chairman is elected after the most important WBA event of the year (European Biermeisterschaft in 2008, World Biermeisterschaft in 2009 and following years). First nominations may be announced (the winner of the recently decided event and the highest level WBA judge are automatically nominated), then a (possibly secret) vote will be counted. WBA members currently not present must have a chance to take part in the election. The person with the most votes becomes Chairman, the person with the second-most votes becomes FCA. In case of any ties the current Chairman (or proxy Chairman) decides the election.

V. Location of next year's World Biermeisterschaft
All WBA members vote for the location of next year's World Biermeisterschaft (and members of a lower level continent or country for the location of lower level events). Locations can be nominated by WBA members willing to organize said event. World Biermeisterschaften (German plural) should not take place in the same continent for more than three years running, just as Continental Biermeisterschaften should not take place in the same country for more than three years running. This should already be considered during the nomination process. If no one voluntarily wants to host the next year's event, a period of six months should be allowed to look for a willing host. If none is to be found, the "three years running"-rule can be ignored. If for any reason the World Biermeisterschaft (or lower level events of regional importance) is cancelled by a voted-for host, that host can either announce a new date no more than two months later (but still in the same year), or the current Chairman (assisted by the FCA) decides on a new location.

VI. Other decisions or changes of existing rules
I will ask Ulf to open up a forum for WBA-members only on http://www.open-cards.de where we can vote upon the annual fees and similar stuff. WBA-members are also strongly advised to join the open-cards-Group "Drinking Buddies" (but membership is not mandatory).

----------------(cut or carefully tear here)-----------------------

I concur with the above rules and regulations and want to become a member of the WBA. Membership fee will be handed over to the current Chairman (or proxy Chairman) with this document.

________________ _______________________
trekcc-Handle (optional) open-cards-Handle (optional)
Attachments:
WBA.JPG
WBA.JPG (30.36 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The foundation of the World Biermeister Association (WBA) was a phenomenal success. 16 STCCG members from six countries became members (of all the nationalities present at the European Championship only the Czech Republic and USA didn’t send any representatives).

Here’s a list of the members in the order they joined:
Thomas Vorwerk (Germany)
James Hoskin (United Kingdom)
Peter H. Møller (Denmark)
Søren Ramme Nielsen (Denmark)
Lars Flitter (Germany)
Auwerd Bijker (The Netherlands)
Carsten Hartmann (Germany)
Jens Beilstein (Germany)
Daniel Sinner (Germany)
Will Hoskin (United Kingdom)
Johannes Klarhauser (Germany)
Peter van der Helm (The Netherlands)
Derek Barry (Ireland)
Fergus O’Shea (Ireland)
Jens Petritzki (Germany)
Paolo Rubano (Italy)

All paid their annual membership fee of 2,50 Euros, James Hoskin and Johannes Klarhauser also contributed donations of 0,50 Euros. (Collected monies: 41 Euros)

At the second European Biermeisterschaft (which also doubled as the 1st German Biermeisterschaft), eleven players (astonishingly all but one card-bearing members, and the chairman realized that only two days later) consumed large quantities of beer. We are proud to announce that one brand of beer was no longer available at the end of the festivities because we drank it all. The same thing happened last year at the other location and it’s a fine tradition we will try to uphold in future Biermeisterschaften.

The proxy Chairman of the WBA paid for the first round of beers (all half-liters), which means 11 times 3,20 Euros (=35,20) was subtracted from our treasury, but 5,80 Euro remain for future Biermeisterschaften.

The results of the Constructed Tournament have been posted on both trekcc and open-cards, but the results of the Biermeisterschaft differ in some details. Three players had to be disqualified from the Biermeisterschaft part of the tournament because they were unable to keep up with the drinking. Those were Peter van der Helm (first to be disqualified and thus recipient of the illustrous “Johannes Klarhauser Memorial Award”, a bottle of alcohol-free beer with special labels), Oliver Thust and Lars Flitter.

Because of timing problems (even worse than last year), Will Hoskin had the great idea to make the first round count double. Will was the only one of three players earning three victory points in round one (which meant 1,8 litres of beer had to be comsumed until 20 minutes after the start of round two) not to be disqualified, and with two more full wins and 3,6 liters consumed in time, he became a worthy new European Biermeister. Last year’s champion, Tony Gammell, who describes himself as “not a big beer fan”, was missing this time, because he had to play in the finals next morning (something that did not make fellow Irishman Derek Barry or later semifinalist Johannes Klarhauser from Bavaria flinch). As Tony lost the first round the next day, he obviously had very misguided priorities, but that’s the problem with too much (wrong) ambition.

Derek Barry from Ireland, a Biermeister veteran, became second at the Biermeisterschaft (2,4 litres), followed by something not officially called “Team Germany”, but since rank #3 to #7 is all German, it looks a bit like an unsuccessful invasion. First German Biermeister (because of the “first round counts double”-rule) is Carsten Hartmann (2,4 litres), followed by Jens Petritzki (also 2,4), Johannes Klarhauser (2,1), Thomas Vorwerk (1,8) and Daniel Sinner (1,5). Auwerd Bijker from the Netherlands only achieved three losses (he conceced his last game against Thomas Vorwerk, as he did last year against Derek Barry), but at least he did all his drinking, which is, in a way, better than earning those three victory points already in round one, but being disqualified soon after...

During the Biermeisterschaft all official TCC level 2 judges present achieved those new WBA judge levels. Will Hoskin and Jens Petrizki are now WBA level 6 judges (Eat their shorts, Keller!), Johannes Klarhauser became level 4 WBA judge, and Thomas Vorwerk, the head judge and TD of the event, only became level 2 WBA judge, since he had lost the first two games when the only ruling of the event became necessary (and all four judges agreed on that ruling). During the Biermeisterschaft traditionally “anything goes”, as long as both players agree, and so for example the first Second Edition instance of a negative point result became possible. (Krim used his ability with the opponent’s permission)

On the next day when players where back to their senses again (although some major TCC official remarked that Carsten Hartmann looked like a Zombie, and Derek Barry was seen drinking beer shortly after midday again to cure a case of the jitters), the Chairman and FCA (Financial and Consuming Advisor) of the WBA were elected. 14 of 16 members (Carsten Hartmann and Jens Beilstein were already gone without informing the WBA officials) each had two votes, and the results are as follows:

1. Thomas Vorwerk (Chairman) 10 votes
2. Will Hoskin (FCA) 8 votes
3. Johannes Klarhauser 6 votes
4. Jens Petritzki 3 votes
5. Derek Barry 1 vote (which may have to do with the danger of the WBA monies turning up in the next pub...)

Regarding the location of next year’s World Biermeisterschaft (there are vague plans of doing one already this year in the USA, please contact Will Hoskin aka Gumbo for details), the WBA chairman and FCA came up with the following plan with which no member disagreed:

In the unlikely case that next year’s STCCG World Championship should take place in Europe, the world Biermeisterschaft will be at the same location while the European Biermeisterschaft will be at the location of the STCCG EC. If the STCCG WC takes place in Australia or some other continent inconvenient for WBA members, the European Biermeisterschaft will take place where the EC 2009 will be, and the World Biermeisterschaft will take place in another European country later on. Berlin and London have already been nominated for that case.

WBA members (and you can still become a member) are encouraged to do National Biermeisterschaften in thier respective countries (and of course Continentals on their respective continents). Winners of National Biermeisterschaften (minimum 4 players) will get a bye (soon to be explained) at the following Continentals, just as Continental winners will get a bye for the World Biermeisterschaft (this is already counting for this year, Will!).

The bye works as follows: Players with a bye can choose to get an additional Victory Point at the start of the tournament if they drink the beer for that point at the start and “in one go” (TD decides if it was done properly). While this may seem unfair point-wise, one should keep in mind that only the best players and beer drinkers will not be affected (negatively or positively ;-)) in their playing capibility by this procedure, so the probability that this advantage backfires is evident.

That’s all for now. By the way, I’m still in the spirit and drank a beer today shortly after noon ;-) :cheersL: :cheersR:

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian National Champion 2015
I'd like to get this sort of stuff started here in Perth, although I think that there might be a few logistical problems. There are only five of us here, Pat doesn't drink beer, Matthyas isn't a heavy drinker, and last Friday Matt threw up into his beer glass on his second drink after we decided to start holding beer sculling competitions at my local pub (how we managed to pull chicks by doing that is beyond me). And that just leaves me and Daniel.

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TBT wrote:Matthyas isn't a heavy drinker
I dunno, I was sculling middies of full-strength (6.3%) a few weeks ago at an exclusive Karaoke bar in Manila with some friends... they were shocked, but needless to say after three in succession my g/f needed to prop me up when I almost fell through the tinted glass wall... :roll:

:cheersL: :cheersR:

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
thems the dangers of trying to keep up with us irish! ok, i know i didnt win but i had a big game against johannes the following day which i played drunk or at least hung over. Thank you johannes for being a sport and allowing me to withdraw at least 2 messed up dilema selections. :cheersL:

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
whampiri wrote:thems the dangers of trying to keep up with us irish! ok, i know i didnt win but i had a big game against johannes the following day which i played drunk or at least hung over. Thank you johannes for being a sport and allowing me to withdraw at least 2 messed up dilema selections. :cheersL:
The easiest way to prevent a hangover is to drink at least 600mL of water before you go to bed (1L is its a really big night).

I regularly go out on the piss on Friday night, then wake up at 6am without my alarm feeling on top of the world. Then I go teach kiddies how to swim.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
According to a recent statistic, Germans drink 116 litres of beer per year (only coffee and water are consumed in larger quantities). Not regarding the slightly lesser consuming rates of children and females that means 0,3178 litres a day. Will Hoskin was a part of that statistic when he visited the European Biermeisterschaft, and during less than four hours he drank just as much beer as the average German would drink in twelve days. Thanks for helping making us look good!
A calculation that doesn’t work literally: If Will could keep this drinking speed up without sleeping or similar wastes of time, he could drink the amount of beer the average German drinks during a year in less than six days. Unfortunately 21,6 litres of beer per day would probably kill him by day 3 or 4 (not scientifically researched but an educated guess). The last time I drank 5 litres of beer in one night, I repeatedly slept in the grass along the side of a country road and either dreamt of an encounter with two policemen or actually met them. “Nah, I’m alright, guys! I will just shove my bike back home, I don’t need assistance!”

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ok,here are some rediculous things i heard around the tables as we played.guess who said them.

'OH MY GOD...are you stupid or something...I should have discarded 1 more card.'
This was said to an opponent half way through the opponents order phase when the speaker realised that he hadn't discarded down to 7 cards at the end of his own turn.

the reply from the opponent was funnier:

'NO!! it's ok...i'll just drink 1 more beer.'

Here's another classic that was said in a really really bad french/german(ok just a bad) accent.

'well well, who knew that tactical disadvantage doesn't work on planets'

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Last year’s champion, Tony Gammell, who describes himself as “not a big beer fan”, was missing this time, because he had to play in the finals next morning (something that did not make fellow Irishman Derek Barry or later semifinalist Johannes Klarhauser from Bavaria flinch)
^^
I nominate Derek Barry to receive a special commendation for this; and since I know that our Chairmeister is no stranger to voting for oneself, I nominate myself for said commendation for the same reasons. :cheersL:

By TBT (Robert Dawson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Over here its pretty much normal for between 1 and 3 of us to be hungover during a tournament.

On one particular incident, I had stayed up until 4:30 the previous night, drinking smoking, ect (the latter is not something I do very often), and then got up at 8 so that I had time to finish off my deck. I had what I thought was the worst hangover of my life, and spent a good deal of the tournament semi-comatose.

I spent the next several days bed-ridden, and eventually found out that my drinking had caused a moderate cold that I had was just getting over to develop into pneumonia. That was not a very fun few weeks.

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]