For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
With more rushin' than a bottle of Smirnoff, it's the late-but-great...

2013 Australian Continental Championships

WHEN
Thursday the 4th to Sunday the 7th of July 2013

WHERE
(click for Google Map)
Good Games Hurstville
Unit 213, 7-11 The Avenue
Hurstville NSW 2220

(click for Google Map)
Maloney's Hotel, Sydney (for the Biermeister only)
81 Goulburn Street (corner Pitt St)
Sydney NSW 2000

WHAT
Plenty of STAR TREK CCG First Edition and STAR TREK CCG Second Edition action in one weekend, including the Australian Biermeister Nationals, a massive 2e Draft, plus two all-NEW formats never before seen at an AC. Of course, along side the and three Continental Championships for First Edition, Second Edition, and Tribbles!

THURSDAY (4th of July)

12pm - Tribbles CCG Continental Championships QUALIFIER - Heat 1
Rounds: 5
Projected Duration: 1 hour
Edition: Tribbles CCG
Format: Tribbles Constructed
Cost: $2
Venue: Good Games Hurstville
Other: Players randomly divided into pods of four or five. Top player from each pod qualifies for the finals.

1pm (immediately at the conclusion of the Tribbles Qualifier) - Infinite Diversity Draft
Rounds: 3
Projected Duration: 4 hours
Edition: Second Edition
Format: Infinite Diversity Virtual Draft
Cost: $15
Decklists: Submit online
Other: $5 DISCOUNT if you bring your own 21-card INFINITE DIVERSITY set! Remember, two copies of Product Placement, one of each of the rest. All full-colour draft packs will be provided, pre-cut and ready to play. Just bring sleeves and backing cards.

Then Six o'clock is Beer-o'clock, with the biggest Australian STCCG social event on the calendar, the Australian Biermeister!

6pm - Australian Biermeister Nationals [Australian Biermeister rules and cards]
Rounds: 4
Projected Duration: 5-6 hours
Format: Australian Biermeister-themed Academy Constructed Deck
Venue: Maloney's Hotel
Cost: $10 (plus cost of drinks)
Decklists: None required
Other: in the Australian Biermeister Academy format, build a deck using Common, Starter, Virtual cards (i.e. cards with "C", "S", or "V" only) as well as ANY missions, any 2011 and 2012 Australian Biermeister card (i.e. with collector's info "0TA28" - "0TA61" - printable PDFs will be available soon for download for those who want additional copies). At the event, each participant will also be provided one set of nine all-NEW 2013 Australian Biermeister cards, plus an exclusive 2013 AC Biermeister promo. These cards will already be affixed to backing cards, so no backing cards will be required. Players may add these to their decks prior to the start of the event. Open trading of the promos will be allowed up until just prior to the announcement of the Round 1 pairings.

FRIDAY (5th of July)

12pm - Slipstream
Rounds: 6
Projected Duration: 3 hours
Format: Slipstream Constructed
Cost: $5
Other: An AC-first, these rules offer reduced victory conditions for quicker games. A player wins when he or she has 50 points and has completed at least one mission of any type. The time limit for each round in Slipstream is 30 minutes. Differential is capped at 50 points in Slipstream tournaments.

3pm - Australian First Edition Continental Championships QUALIFIER/FINALS
Rounds: 6 + Final Confrontation*
Projected Duration: 7-8 hours
Edition: First Edition
Format: Official Tournament Format - Constructed Deck
Cost: $25
Decklists: Submit printed copy at the tournament, then submit online after tournament. Please enter your decklist in trekcc.org's Deckbuilder and print out a decklist (don't forget to check "Print Decklist" before clicking the "Print" button!)
Other: IF the event runs past 8pm, the Final Confrontation may be postponed until after the 2e AC Qualifier on Saturday. Final decision will be made in consultation with the venue and two finalists.

6pm - Tribbles CCG Continental Championships QUALIFIER - Heat 2
Other: Players randomly divided into pods of four or five. Top player from each pod qualifies for the finals.

7pm - Second Edition Side Event
Format: Standard Constructed Deck
Cost: Free
Decklists: Submit Online
Other: Anything goes. This free event will be very casual, just have some fun.

SATURDAY (6th of July)
Colossus in nature, Saturday's Second Edition AC Qualifier continues to maintain its status as the greatest marathon of Star Trek CCG in Australia, testing the stamina of even the most hardened card gamers.

9:45am - Mission Briefing
Important briefing about procedure for the day, as well as any important rulings or clarifications and the decision on the 2e finals bracket. Any

10am - Australian Second Edition Continental Championships QUALIFIER
Rounds: 6
Projected Duration: 7-8 hours
Format: Standard Constructed Deck
Cost: $25
Decklists: Submit printed copy at the tournament, then submit online after tournament. Please enter your decklist in trekcc.org's Deckbuilder and print out a decklist (don't forget to check "Print Decklist" before clicking the "Print" button!)
Other: The finals structure will be determined by the number of players in attendance prior to the start of the event: 16 or fewer players, Top 8 Modified McIntyre bracket; more than 16 players, Top 16 Modified McIntyre bracket.

5pm - Tribbles CCG Continental Championships QUALIFIER - Heat 3

SUNDAY (7th of July)
Capping off a big week in Trek, Sunday begins with the 2e AC finals, a whole heap of side events, award presentations, and culminating with with the deciding rounds of the 2013 Tribbles AC!

10am - Australian Second Edition Continental Championships FINALS
Rounds: Top 8 - 4 rounds; Top 16 - 5 rounds
Projected Duration: 5-6 hours
Format: Constructed
Cost: FREE
Other: All decks will be checked prior to the event and retained at the Judge's table between rounds. Random deck checks are to be carried out. The Final Confrontation will be best-of-three.

11am - 2e Virtual Constructed
Format: Virtual-only Constructed
Other: This card pool comprises all printable cards. Printable cards include all virtual cards, any virtual promo cards marked as printable, cards that have received an erratum, and authorised proxy cards. Second Edition authorised proxies include all missions, non-unique personnel, non-unique ships, and cards that have received an erratum.

3pm - Tribbles CCG Continental Championships QUALIFIER - Heat 4

4pm - Mission Debriefing and Prizes
Prizes from all the 2013 AC events will be presented. Any other announcements will also take place.

5pm - Australian Tribbles CCG Continental Championships FINALS
Decklists: Submit printed copy at the tournament, then submit online after tournament.
Other: Top player from each of the four qualifiers will play out 5 rounds to determine the Australian Tribbles CCG Continental Champion!

5pm - Open Tribbles CCG Constructed Tournament
Decklists: Submit online
Other: Missed out on the finals but still have something to prove? Dying to try out that Rainbow IDIC deck against competition from around Australia? Filling in time while you wait for your designated driver to finish playing in the Tribbles finals? Then take a seat!

====================

Subscribe to this thread (link at top of page) and stay informed of any updates as they happen!

====================
Last edited by stoovie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Please note that the tournament listing links are currently broken as I haven't created the respective events yet.

I will post an update here again when I have created the events and updated the above links.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions regarding the above schedule, or anything regarding the 2013 Australian Continental Championships.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
I'm in!

Leave is booked. Automobile is serviced. Ready to go!

By Wedge772 (Matthew Ting)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
1E Australian National Champion 2015
Shouldn't 1E start earlier in the day? If you start at 3pm, with projected duration 7-8 hours, that ends it at 11pm! If we can get that started at 10-11am it'll be more reasonable. Means 1E players will miss Slipstream, but also means Jamie gets to go home :)

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Wedge772 wrote:Shouldn't 1E start earlier in the day? If you start at 3pm, with projected duration 7-8 hours, that ends it at 11pm! If we can get that started at 10-11am it'll be more reasonable. Means 1E players will miss Slipstream, but also means Jamie gets to go home :)
I'd like to play the slipstream event but conflicts are always going to happen.

Other thoughts .... Does 1e need 6 rounds ... Does it need a final confrontation?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
chompers wrote:
Wedge772 wrote:Shouldn't 1E start earlier in the day? If you start at 3pm, with projected duration 7-8 hours, that ends it at 11pm! If we can get that started at 10-11am it'll be more reasonable. Means 1E players will miss Slipstream, but also means Jamie gets to go home :)
I'd like to play the slipstream event but conflicts are always going to happen.

Other thoughts .... Does 1e need 6 rounds ... Does it need a final confrontation?
An earlier start would be better I reckon

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Firstly, I'll just put it out there that the store's opening hours on a Friday are "12:00pm - Late", so pushing the schedule back to 10am is not an option.

The 1e AC has been at the same time (3pm) on the Friday for the past three years. While it can be a bit of a slug, Friday night's always been a late one. Though the event has varied in the number of rounds, and I think last year was the first time the event was run for the full six rounds.

The reason the mid-afternoon time was picked was that pre-2011, getting reasonable attendance before 3pm on either the Thursday or Friday was just not happening. There would be enough for side-events, but there was simply not enough of a draw to get people to take the day off work. So the compromise was to push it to 3pm at the earliest. That way people were more inclined to take the required one or two hours off to attend, and we still could run almost half the event before evening when the FNM crew usually arrive.

I'm not averse to pushing the whole schedule back one or two hours, but I am concerned about the affect on attendance. This is a key event, and has been seeing rising attendance since we chose this time. And Burwood has almost always been open late with other games also playing late.

I have messaged Jamie regarding the timing, just to verify his thoughts on the issue. In the meantime, please feel free to discuss!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've just had confirmation from Jamie that Good Games Hurstville usually closes around 11pm on Fridays.

Nevertheless, as a compromise, I'm happy to shorten the number of rounds to 5 (as in 2011) if we get 12-15 players, and 4 rounds if we get less than 12.

Thoughts?

By AdmiralG
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
An opinion of an old soldier.
If you wish to truly treat our games with the respect they deserve, then both versions should be so treated.
1E may be less popular but still has a strong legion of players who should be given the opportunity to compete properly for the recognition and acclaim they have practiced for for so long.
Whatever the time of start and finish, as initially planned, six rounds and a final confrontation should not be changed as it gives all players a chance of competing against as many as possible and then the opportunity for the best two to show their flair.
There is nothing wrong with the final confrontation being on a different day.
Six rounds would normal take 9 hours if all games go to time and admin is tight so starting as early as possible would seem prudent and since everyone has ample notice they should be able to attend if they truly wish to compete.
Just my 2 bobs worth!

By Wedge772 (Matthew Ting)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
1E Australian National Champion 2015
I've got no problem staying late, but I would also want to be able to get some sleep that night and save brainpower for Saturday morning :)

Final confrontation probably isn't necessary after 6 rounds, I would assume the top 2 players would have probably faced each other at that point. Or is this only in the event that they haven't?

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Wedge772 wrote:Final confrontation probably isn't necessary after 6 rounds, I would assume the top 2 players would have probably faced each other at that point. Or is this only in the event that they haven't?
It's happened before. Two years ago I faced Greg in the finale, having not faced him the day before.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think an earlier start may be the go. I can only speak for myself, but I am willing to miss the slipstream in order to play 1E, I actually have my own deck this year!

All of those playing 1E will be playing 2E as well and if the 1E goes to 11pm, that is only 11 hours before the 2E next day which may not give them a great deal of rest between the events.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
My preference is for the 3pm slot --- it means I can play the Slipstream event which I am interested in trying out.

I know it is impossible to please everyone and whatever the decision happens to be I will happily go along with.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
chompers wrote:My preference is for the 3pm slot --- it means I can play the Slipstream event which I am interested in trying out.

I know it is impossible to please everyone and whatever the decision happens to be I will happily go along with.
Same here, both bits that is! A 3pm start won't stop me from playing :)
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]