This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello, and welcome to the 4th iteration of Will of the Collective. Will of the Collective is a community-based and collaborative design process, in which we will all work together to design a new First Edition card. You will be able to submit suggestions for each step of the way, and will make all of the final decisions as we go from concept to finish card.

For this edition of the Will of the Collective process, we will be celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Deep Space 9 and creating a new personnel with a {Star Trek: Deep Space 9} property logo. We'll start by choosing which character to make, and then go through all the steps of selecting skills, attributes, and game text before finishing with your choice of image and lore.

This thread will be the master post for the entire process, so you can see the schedule and all of the decisions made to date. If you have general questions about what's going on or how to play, you can ask them here. Otherwise, there will be specific threads for each step of the process. When all the nominations and votes are done, we'll have a card that will appear in a product (or equivalent) later this year!

Let's make a new card!

-crp

Will of the Collective IV: FOURm Edition
Schedule
All dates are approximate and subject to change based on the results of previous steps.

1. Nominate Characters - W 1/17
2. Vote on Character - F 1/19 - Runoff between Odo and Facets Dax
2.5. Runoff Vote on Character -S 1/20 - Facets Dax won
3. Vote on Story - Su 1/21 - Runoff between Curzon Odo and Joran Sisko
3.5. Runoff Vote on Story - M 1/22 - Joran Sisko won
4. Vote on Affiliation - T 1/23 - Non-aligned ( [NA] ) won
5. Nominate Special Skill or Downloads - T 1/23
6. Vote on Special Skill or Downloads - Th 1/25
6.5 Runoff Vote on Special Skills/Downloads - F 1/26 - [DL] Shrouded Assailant won
7. Nominate Skills - S 1/27
8. Vote on Classification - M 1/29 - CIVILIAN won
9. Vote on Skills - M 1/29 - Music x2, Treachery x2, Anthropology, SECURITY, Greed won
10. Vote on Icons - T 1/30 - No icons on
11. Nominate Keywords - W 1/31
12. Vote on Keywords - F 2/2 - zhian'tara, murder won
13-1. Vote on INTEGRITY - Su 2/4 - INTEGRITY 3
13-2. Vote on CUNNING - Su 2/4 - CUNNING 7
13-3. Vote on STRENGTH - Su 2/4 - STRENGTH 8
14. Vote on Image - M 2/5 - Image #2 "Evil smirk close up" won (See below)
15. Nominate Title - T 2/6
16. Vote on Title - Th 2/8 - Joran won
17. Vote on Lore - F 2/9 - Lore #1 "Violent, unstable pianist..." (See below)

Click here to see the winning image:
Winning Image
Winning Image
joransisko_b.png (336.5 KiB) Viewed 3746 times

The winning lore:
Violent, unstable pianist embodied in the human Benjamin Sisko during Jadzia Dax’s zhian'tara. By 2286, he had murdered a total of three people.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I did not expect this. I doubly did not expect this while you were on a boat.

-  
Prophet
A few notes on the schedule:

1. It is possible that a vote will be "too close to call" and require a runoff vote. In such a case, an additional day of voting will be required to be added to the schedule, and thus delay subsequent steps. I'm still working on a standard to determine the triggering of a runoff, and I will post that before the first vote begins.

2. It is also possible that an additional decision point will be required, such as in the case where a character can be one of several different affiliations. As above, adding in a decision point vote will cause delays to the schedule.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
A note on runoff votes:

I will hold a runoff vote if and only if:

a) the top two choices of any given poll are tied,

or

b) the top two choices of any given poll combine to make up less than or exactly 50% of total votes.

In other words, only if there is a tie or if the combined number of votes for #1 and #2 do not represent a majority of votes.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
frakkingoff wrote:Why was this event not announced on the front page? Seems like a no-brainer to try and raise awareness by announcing its existence...
The premise of the event, and the plan to implement it, was to run the entire event on the forums. That way, the players that were most engaged in the forum community would have the highest chance of participating. That's not to say that others aren't welcome, because they are. But I'm trying to run this quickly and as self-contained as possible.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
The community has spoken and we'll be making a Joran Sisko from facets. A vote and a nomination thread are currently up, to choose his affiliation and generate ideas for special skills respectively.

We're about a quarter of the way done. It's not to late to start participating!

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really appreciate the opportunity to have input on this process, so please take this as constructive criticism (hopefully) but I think it's a mistake to have such a time-limited discussion when it comes to nailing down special skills and the like, having such a short window and then having them picked at the close of the one-day poll before more opportunity for back and forth, and hopefully greater consensus I think is an impediment to designing the best card, there's no reason for such haste, is there?
 -  
Prophet
princedetenebres wrote:I really appreciate the opportunity to have input on this process, so please take this as constructive criticism (hopefully) but I think it's a mistake to have such a time-limited discussion when it comes to nailing down special skills and the like, having such a short window and then having them picked at the close of the one-day poll before more opportunity for back and forth, and hopefully greater consensus I think is an impediment to designing the best card, there's no reason for such haste, is there?
Thanks for the comments! I chose this format for Will of the Collective IV for two main reasons:

1) Previous iterations of Will of the Collective took a long time, and participation dropped off drastically between steps. It tooks months to get the process complete, often with big gaps in between steps. It lost its magic.

2) I needed a tight, quick, schedule in order to keep me on task and make sure this got done.

I do agree that some steps could use more time, but I think overall having a fast paced schedule will keep engagement high without sacrificing quality too much. Moving quickly prevents debates from dragging on endlessly or turning negative, and keeps the focus on the fun.

I'd be happy to revisit these decisions after the fact.

-crp
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: 1) Previous iterations of Will of the Collective took a long time, and participation dropped off drastically between steps. It tooks months to get the process complete, often with big gaps in between steps. It lost its magic.
It'll be interesting to see if this is an artifact of the process of narrowing down the card. I mean, I guess I'm still voting, but I've never voted for the winning choice so far, so my investment in the final product is steadily dwindling.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Faithful Reader wrote:Shouldn't there be a step in there for a restriction box given the nature of the character picked?
I was thinking of this during the special skills phase, if I could've thought of a good one I would've proposed it then.

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thing is, the card is looking like it isn't going to be terribly useful. Adding a restriction, although possibly thematic, might just ensure it never sees play at all.

If you think it necessary, you could lump this in with one of the future steps (keywords for example), but setting aside another day of voting when the outcome is most likely going to be "no restriction" seems a bit wasteful.
 -  
Prophet
Maelwys wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:Shouldn't there be a step in there for a restriction box given the nature of the character picked?
I was thinking of this during the special skills phase, if I could've thought of a good one I would've proposed it then.
I view a restriction box as a consequence of a choice, not a choice itself. That's why no step for it.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Here is a mock up of the card as it stands now, a little more than halfway done:

Will of the Collective IV - Joran Sisko w/Skills
Will of the Collective IV - Joran Sisko w/Skills
joran_skills.jpeg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 3936 times

We'll be finishing up the card over the next week or so, and that means there is plenty of time to participate!

-crp
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]