Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 126 posts

Mannasters Main Event, for the WCT Heavyweight Title: John Corbett vs. BenHosp

"Flawless" John Corbett
46%
BROKEN BenHosp
54%

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Damn, looks like Sykes fed me up some crow.
:cheersL:

You weren't wrong about Cardassians in HoF though. With the kill rate down, and no PD or AIOT to suck up the Central Commands, wall dilemmas became almost auto-pass.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
I feel like TAIN PAIN would be my go-to build for HOF format. Surprised to see Sykes win with Cardies, just by leaning on Central Command.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:I feel like TAIN PAIN would be my go-to build for HOF format. Surprised to see Sykes win with Cardies, just by leaning on Central Command.
That was my best cheater, but definitely not my only one. Pimp Dukat is still a pimp and Crell Moset is a great SI substitute.

Also, I used Dial-a-skill [AU] Garak to get past some Archaeology shenanigans after BenHosp ran me out of Central Commands.

It's not that I didn't have the other tricks, it's just that the dilemmas I faced were Central Command-friendly.

Also, this deck has one huge advantage over TAIN PAIN: two missions in region. I think I played a second ship in one, maybe two of my six games. That logistical advantage dates to premiere with Kressari (which I did vote for on my HoF ballot), and gets added to with NeuCardassiaIV. I didn't even need a ship in my discard pile until I went to Metron, though Damar's drawing ability is so good I usually had one in there anyway.

Bottom line though, Cardassians are really good in HoF regardless of which flavor you prefer.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Naetor wrote:Yeah, affiliations that only need 1 ship to get moving are at an all-time high right now. That's why I like Deliver Evidence in my Tain deck. I know Kris fearlessly goes planet first in his.
My TAIN PAIN build has ridiculous amounts of mission skill coverage. Kill as many guys as you want; I've got 3 copies of Tacking in there and burn through the deck one and half times just about every game. I've never feared Nes Ex, and certainly don't with Cardies. :twocents:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Yeah, I saw a lot of people going planet first or [S] [P] [S] . I had more than one occasion to put down the hurt via Necessary Execution, Distress Call and The Needs of the Few.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

With the removal of easy dilemmas I was expecting either Legacy, Chula or Pattern Loss dilemma piles this tournament. I guess Pattern Loss was in favor for a lot of players including me.

I wonder if Borg interlink with a persistent pile would have been a good deck as well. They just dial the skill they need and give to all of them for Pattern Loss dilemmas.
I guess I can try that next time..

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
All politics aside, HoF was a nice, clean format, even with Ben's Shankar/Inner Light cheese.

I made a horrendous meta call and played an all-out anti- [SF] dilemma pile. I lost all my games by one turn. Great deck call, Scotty made people sad, but should've played a cheesy Chula pile. I thought everyone would be lazy and Go Lego. Good job to people for putting work in.

Imagine when the next 25-30 HoF cards are inducted... just going to keep getting more interesting.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
As soon as I reclaimed the belt, its power entered me and purged the Arby’s Council programming.

BROKEN BenHosp has been DELETED

REGULAR BenHosp has been UNDELETED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Everybody betting the under on Sykes. People forgetting I know how to play this game.

So BenHosp wins the belt. I beat him. Corbett was the reigning World Champ. I beat him. Yet somehow... SOMEHOW, I don't even get my name on the list for a belt shot, despite beating both beltholders AND the rest of the people I faced, several of which ALSO secured a belt shot. Talk about a screwjob...

That's ok, Mr. Commish. I know you're salty I beat you too and you're trying to keep me down. But you're powerless to stop me from getting the GOLD!

You want a rematch, you know where to find me.
Attachments:
57148.jpeg
57148.jpeg (452.89 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]