This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By pixie8778
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'm considering buying a Voyager Booster Box vs a Voyager Starter Deck Box.

The Starter Deck Box has 12 40 Card decks. Does anyone know the contents? Are they random or do they have set specific Starter cards? Are there 2 or 3 random rares in each?

When I looked at the Premiere 2e Combo Box online it said it only had 40 cards + 3 rares but when I got it each deck had 60 cards + 3 rares. So I just want to make sure I know what I'm ordering. If there are Starter only cards in the Voyager deck boxes I'd also want to know that (cards that you can't get in Voyager booster packs.)

Thanks a bunch.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
IIRC the Voyager starter contain 40 cards. 2 rare and a random mix of C, U, and S.
The S cards are exclusive to the starters, 3 new cards and 17 reprints(new image).
There was limited number of S cards in each starter, so to get all, you needed to buy several starters.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
What's in a Star Trek CCG: Voyager Starter Deck Box ?
Broken cards. :P

Well, not so much any more.

By Nava
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:IIRC the Voyager starter contain 40 cards. 2 rare and a random mix of C, U, and S.
The S cards are exclusive to the starters, 3 new cards and 17 reprints(new image).
There was limited number of S cards in each starter, so to get all, you needed to buy several starters.
Voyager starter were a curious mix - the content of each box was semi-fixed and determined by the print sheets; you got 8 different starters each containing a fixed set of the S cards (9 or 10 IIRC) and a matching fixed set of C and U (22 or 23) which ensured you were able to use the cards. To those 32 fixed cards you got 2 random Rares and 6 random Commons in each starter.

Disclaimer: I saw the print sheets only once (they were given away at some Con as a prize) and we deducted the rest from quite a lot of boxes we opened. Decipher never publicly announced the exact content and makeup of the starters

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:If not and just going for the pulls, then booster box always!
This was years ago, when the Canadian dollar was equal to American (although we're going back in that direction), but on the Hill's Gaming site the Starter Boxes actually worked out to cheaper per rare.

You still need to buy both, because some Uncommons don't show up in Starters.

Warp Speed play with a just a couple starters is actually pretty fun. It's a better and more modern game than OTSD gameplay-wise.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
One thing to bear in mind: I got a couple of starter deck boxes a while back and there were a LOT of repeats of rares.

I looked up the old thread and you can see my results here: viewtopic.php?p=303912#p303912

-  
I am looking for deck lists of opened Voyager starters so I can make new starters because my old voyager starters got mixed into the rest of my voyager cards. My Decipher's end of first edition booster box sale purchase of a VOyager box. I planned to learn Star Trek ccg first edition but it never happened. I play Magic: the Gathering causally and would like to finally use those Voyager cards. I can print the cards in the starter lists that I don't have. I am interested in Warp Speed voyager sealed because of my old Voyager box.

-thank you Captain_Genius

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Captain_Genius wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 pm I am looking for deck lists of opened Voyager starters so I can make new starters because my old voyager starters got mixed into the rest of my voyager cards. My Decipher's end of first edition booster box sale purchase of a VOyager box. I planned to learn Star Trek ccg first edition but it never happened. I play Magic: the Gathering causally and would like to finally use those Voyager cards. I can print the cards in the starter lists that I don't have. I am interested in Warp Speed voyager sealed because of my old Voyager box.

Bad news, the exact composition is not fixed and I am not sure anyone has complete data about distribution.

You can simulate creating a Voyager starter on LackeyCCG but I am not sure how accurate it is.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:05 am
Captain_Genius wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 pm I am looking for deck lists of opened Voyager starters so I can make new starters because my old voyager starters got mixed into the rest of my voyager cards. My Decipher's end of first edition booster box sale purchase of a VOyager box. I planned to learn Star Trek ccg first edition but it never happened. I play Magic: the Gathering causally and would like to finally use those Voyager cards. I can print the cards in the starter lists that I don't have. I am interested in Warp Speed voyager sealed because of my old Voyager box.

Bad news, the exact composition is not fixed and I am not sure anyone has complete data about distribution.

You can simulate creating a Voyager starter on LackeyCCG but I am not sure how accurate it is.
@eberlems and I did some homework on the Voyager Starter prior to the Warp Speed event in September last year. I'd say the starter is a "reasonably accurate" representation of what an actual Voyager starter would be. The biggest issue is duplication within rarity, which i don't think was a thing with Decipher collation, but until we get a "draw without replace" version of the pack generator, it's a thing.

Still totally playable though. Check it out! :cheersL:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 pm
What's in a Star Trek CCG: Voyager Starter Deck Box ?
Broken cards. :P
LOL! :lol:

Educatonal topic, this. :thumbsup: Thanks all, especially Nava.
I have very fond memories of opening VOY starter decks at my student digs, and reviewing new cards while eating breakfast at my desk. Don't ask me why, but those moments somehow stuck with me. :shifty: There was a specific sort of delicious cereals involved, with honey, that eventually was replaced; and which I afterwards was never able to find. (That was a real big First World Problem for me.) And I do see the starter boxes often, because they pad my card containers. Perhaps it's a combinaton of those things that made me always remember that. I do think I bought multiples of the starter (only 5 or so... I wasn't exactly a rich student), because I wanted to have all the fixed cards... which only recently (last year or so), I finally managed. By buying singles.

/answers to things you always wanted to ask Suden, but was afraid to.

But I never knew the exact composition of the boxes. :P

-  
OK, I can use the random pack generator in Lackey. Someone on this thread posted that there were 8 combinations of fixed cards for voyager starters, except for 2 random rares and 6 random commons.

If the lackey makes playable enough starters, that would work for a Voyager starter only game. And of course Lackey can make the actual sealed pool.

-Thanks,
Captain_Genius
MN 2024 Gatherings

One last check before I enter the event for the 28[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

I thought this was the intended functionality, and[…]

updated with VPs and Errata

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]