This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 158 posts

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Too strong or just right?

Discuss.

Imho:

Too strong. Needs limitation. Unique or limit 2, etc. Possible cultural enforcement.
1. Idic:pothc had the foresight to make gaps, etc unique. It should have done that to all scheme cards which then begs the question on the minefield.
2. Way too user friendly with certain dilemmas. :shifty:
3. The game doesn't need something like this slowing it down even more.
4. Not culturally enforced. :shifty:

It's not a coincidence that it's won 2 regionals in a row. :shifty:
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
It's just right.

TK
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
:::takes off OP hat:::

Speaking entirely as a player with zero sway over the errata process, it feels like the mines might be a bit too strong as written. But I think that this is entirely a byproduct of them feeding off of IDIC:PotHC as a way to either play them for free (which feels way overpowered) or to get card draws from them if they were actual card plays. For better or worse, much of the Vulcan power cards were not culturally enforced and that is why we are seeing these cards constantly abused in already potent non-Vulcan designs. I mean, apart from IDIC, does Jon's deck have a single Vulcan card in it? If not, that is definitely cause for concern.

Romulan Minefield seems like too much benefit without much cost, as Jon's deck title alludes to. The active player gums up the space line for their opponent (even worse for them if they are in another quadrant) and then the active player gets to draw cards for doing so. I don't see a downside here, so the cost / benefit seems out of whack. There's basically no cost, just benefit. :twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:Too strong or just right?

Discuss.

Imho:

Too strong. Needs limitation. Unique or limit 2, etc. Possible cultural enforcement.
1. Idic:pothc had the foresight to make gaps, etc unique. It should have done that to all scheme cards which then begs the question on the minefield.

It's fair in a Vulcan deck because Vulcans have to deal with it too.

I'm less convinced it's fair in a Romulan deck that can use the Vulcan IDIC card for card draws AND ignore the Minefields.

Easy fix: Errata PotHC to require a player to have X (3?) [Vul] personnel in play to benefit from the card draws provided.

This is already done on the other [Sch] cards (which are also unique), so it would leave the IDIC stuff specifically for the [Vul] affiliation, while at the same time give the Romulans a viable spaceline spam option.

This is the kind of 'problem' that can be fixed with a scalpel, not a meataxe. Let's not over-react.

:twocents:

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:Too strong or just right?

Discuss.

Imho:

“I want more interaction in the game!”
“No, not like that.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
bhosp wrote:“I want more interaction in the game!”
“No, not like that.”
:thumbsup:

TK
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I plan on abusing that thing pretty hard. It’s gonna need therapy.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ah geez, look at what I started... :shifty:

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
CaptMDKirk wrote:What happens if you play a Kevin Uxbridge: Convergence at a Romulan Minefield? I'm honestly curious.
Location disappears and owners move their cards to either of the (formerly) neighboring locations.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
“No, not like that.”

This is why people are quittng this game and leaving the site. This obvious personal attack that does nothing to actually enrich anything.

As to the implied point: is that not a fair concern? Is it not in the interest of the game to have interaction but be balanced? As an interaction player I'm very vested in the interaction I play be fair and not OP. I do want more interaction and I do not want it to make the game imbalanced. But sure, go ahead and make it a personal attack.

As a designer you should be doing the same instead of taking personal swipes. For shame.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:
bhosp wrote:
“No, not like that.”

This is why people are quittng this game and leaving the site. This obvious personal attack that does nothing to actually enrich anything.

As to the implied point: is that not a fair concern? Is it not in the interest of the game to have interaction but be balanced? As an interaction player I'm very vested in the interaction I play be fair and not OP. I do want more interaction and I do not want it to make the game imbalanced. But sure, go ahead and make it a personal attack.

As a designer you should be doing the same instead of taking personal swipes. For shame.
When I start designing 1E, you’ll have a point.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
Hoss-Drone wrote:
bhosp wrote:
“No, not like that.”

When I start designing 1E, you’ll have a point.

... and you ignored the valid questions. I wonder why. /sarcasm

Edit* But thank u for reminding me of the toxic bs that permeates this place and why I don't post or come on here much anymore.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ignore Ben if he's bothering you. What do you think of my and Kris's thoughts? I think his post went up when I was typing mine but it sounds like we're saying basically the same thing.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]