This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 218 posts

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
MidnightLich wrote:Unfortunately, between both of his kids playing softball, and working insane hours at his day job, Dan has had to step down as the lead of Project G'Kar.
Fake news.

Dan has been cooking meth.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: I'm now co-leading this project with Niall, with Paddy Tye and Dan Hamman contributing. The decks will both be [1E-TNG] themed, focusing on Federation and Cardassian and themed around the two-part episode "Chain of Command." The goal of En Garde is still to give casual, newer, and returning players a pair of decks that will let them play fun, kitchen table games with their friends. And once they are comfortable, they can take them to a tournament and compete without getting obliterated.
This is what I'm most excited for!! Will this give us some new [1E-TNG] Cardassians to help make them a bit stronger stand alone affiliation deck type?

Thanks!

~D

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
HoodieDM wrote:
MidnightLich wrote: I'm now co-leading this project with Niall, with Paddy Tye and Dan Hamman contributing. The decks will both be [1E-TNG] themed, focusing on Federation and Cardassian and themed around the two-part episode "Chain of Command." The goal of En Garde is still to give casual, newer, and returning players a pair of decks that will let them play fun, kitchen table games with their friends. And once they are comfortable, they can take them to a tournament and compete without getting obliterated.
This is what I'm most excited for!! Will this give us some new [1E-TNG] Cardassians to help make them a bit stronger stand alone affiliation deck type?

Thanks!

~D
I'm hoping for some anti-cardy cards.

A Miles that could [DL] a card called 'Bloody Cardassians' would be freaking awesome
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:A Miles that could [DL] a card called 'Bloody Cardassians' would be freaking awesome
"Bloody Spoonheads"

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:A Miles that could [DL] a card called 'Bloody Cardassians' would be freaking awesome
"Bloody Spoonheads"
No we need a Bajoran to download that one.

I can't remember Miles calling them that one.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:"I don't hate you, Cardassian. I hate what I became because of you."

-crp
That would make an amazing lore for a card...
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:"I don't hate you, Cardassian. I hate what I became because of you."

-crp
The Wounded.

Maybe, probably my favorite episode of TNG. If I had to pick, phaser to my head.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jjh wrote:

-crp
The Wounded.

Maybe, probably my favorite episode of TNG. If I had to pick, phaser to my head.
Yesterday's Enterprise for me.

The Wounded is definitely on the 'Good' side of the rankings though. Aside from Data's Day I tend to line O'Brien episodes.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
jjh wrote:

-crp
The Wounded.

Yesterday's Enterprise for me.

The Wounded is definitely on the 'Good' side of the rankings though. Aside from Data's Day I tend to line O'Brien episodes.
I would definately go nuts over being able to have the version of the crew from yesterday’s enterprise. And it would help tng get passed QI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Happy New Year! I didn't want 2018 to end without a final First Edition status update, as we've kicked off a few new projects we want to share with you. I hope that you all are having a happy holiday season, with lots of food, friends, family, and Trek! Let's get straight to the point and get you some information about 1E in this December 2018 status update:
Backwards Compatibility - As you may have recently seen on the front page, backwards compatibility is formally coming to an end on Monday, February 4th, 2019. The delays are mostly due to an extended illness on my part, and a higher-than-average workload. However, everything is on track to hit this deadline. We've started a dedicated Q&A discussion thread where everyone can ask their questions and our staff will do their best to provide quick and accurate answers.
New Rulebook - If you haven't checked out James Heaney's (BCSWowbagger) new First Edition rulebook, then you are missing out. This new, web- and print- friendly version updates and modernizes the rules in a single document, providing both a beginner-friendly and a complete version for veterans. If you find something incorrect, unclear, or out of place, we have a thread dedicated to errors and issues where you can share your concerns.
Unfortunately, there hasn't been any movement on two projects that we've talked about for some time. Both of these were originally meant for release in 2018, but obviously we won't be making that deadline now:
Project Keiko
(Project Keiko is a scripted learn-to-play experience for new players.)

There are no updates on this project since my last update. It's something we really want to finish up, but everyone involved has been busy with other projects. We've had several people volunteer to test out the new version, which we appreciate. We're hoping to get that to you shortly after the new year. If anyone else would like to help, if you have a friend, family member, or coworker that you'd like to teach the game of First Edition, please let us know. I no longer have an eta on this project.
Project En Garde
(Project En Garde is a pair of balanced decks designed to give great games against each other, and fit into tournament play.)

I have no new updates for you on this project since the last update in October. I'm co-leading this project with Niall, with Paddy Tye and Dan Hamman contributing. The decks will both be [TNG] themed, focusing on Federation and Cardassian and themed around the two-part episode "Chain of Command." The goal of En Garde is still to give casual, newer, and returning players a pair of decks that will let them play fun, kitchen table games with their friends. And once they are comfortable, they can take them to a tournament and compete without getting obliterated.
With the bad news out of the way, let's look at the projects that are ongoing for release in 2019:
Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block, and focuses on [Fed] and [NA].)

As mentioned in the last update, initial reaction to this project wasn't good from our testing team. But I'm happy to report that the design team has worked with the testers to greatly improve the file, and Project Delenn is now well on the way towards being complete. In fact, our Creative and Rules Teams have been digging into the file aggressively for a few weeks, which means this is going to be heading into production sooner rather than later.

We did make a change to this project's structure, as well as all of those in the OS block. Originally, Delenn was going to be a double-size expansion based around [OS] Federation and [OS] Non-Aligned cards. It turns out that wasn't working well, and we were getting a lot of comments confused about why so much [NA] was featured. We could have addressed that problem with marketing and solid messaging, but we're trying something different instead. Instead of the standard block model of double size expansion followed by two normal size expansions, we're going to put out three (3) medium-sized expansions. Each one will be focused on one of the "big three" factions, and each will feature a higher-than average amount of [NA] content. In essence, we're distributing the [NA] cards across the block.

Therefore, Delenn is now just "the Federation" set, with a nice helping of [NA] cards to go along side. It won't be as big as most first sets in a block have been, but is scheduled to be a little bigger than normal sized sets. We're still planning for Project Delenn to see the light of day in the first quarter of 2019. And while I don't have any images or spoilers for you, I thought I'd share a preview with you anyway. Here's a card that's currently in the file; however, as the file is still in development, he might change or even hit the cutting room floor. Take a look, if you're curious:

[Fed] Lt. Commander Giotto {ST: TOS}
[Cmd] [1E-AU] [SECURITY] [OS]
Security chief aboard the Starship Enterprise in 2267. He led the security forces that attempted to track down the Horta on Janus VI.
[SD] Honor [SD] Leadership [SD] Astrophysics
[DL] Classic Communicator

[INTEGRITY 7] [CUNNING 7] [STRENGTH 7]
Project G'Kar
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion of the TOS block, focusing on the Romulans.)

Since we've made the change to the block structure (three medium sized sets instead of a large and two small sets), G'Kar has actually been given a bit more space. But the core of the project hasn't changed, as it's still going to be the second expansion of the OS block, focused on Romulans, and developing the themes laid down in Project Delenn. The team has been meeting regularly to discuss the file and design cards, and there is some really cool stuff planned. I'll need to be professionally neutral about it, and zone-in my expectations, but Project G'Kar is looking like a lot of fun.
Project Londo
(Project Londo is the third expansion in the TOS block, and will feature Klingons.)

James Monsebroten has been firing up his team for Project Londo, which is the third set of the block and will be the [OS] Klingon set. James is ready to run his own solo team, and this Klingon-focused expansion will be a lot of fun. James and I are having fun coordinating plans for themes to run through the block, and if he can deliver on some of the stuff he's told me he's thinking, it's going to be a great end-cap to the Original Series block. His team will be starting work shortly after the New Year.
You've heard about those three before, but let me tell you about a new project that we will very soon be starting up:
ANNOUNCING: Project Argentum
(Project Argentum is an project to celebrate the 25th anniversary of STCCG.)

Our beloved game turns twenty-five (25) in 2019, and you'd better believe that we're going to celebrate. Project Argentum is going to be a special boutique project designed to celebrate a quarter century of First Edition and expanding our power in the universe. I'm going to be light on details for awhile, but I wanted you all to know that we know this is a big anniversary, and we aren't going to let it go unmarked. Fun fact: it's possible, if not likely, this will end up splitting into two projects!
And finally, there are our exploratory projects. Two of them haven't been updated much, but we've launched a brand new one that I'm excited about taking part in.
ANNOUNCING: Project Babylon
(Project Babylon is an exploratory design project looking at the problems with Nors, and potention solutions to those problems.)

Nors are one of the most complicated pieces of the 1E puzzle, and while they have passionate fans, they are one of the most common sources of complaints about the game. There has been a lot of discussion, both internally to the department and publicly, about Nors, going back to the original design of the DS9 block. We've decided to put a team together that can experiment with potential rules changes, errata, or new cards in a controlled fashion that will let us get some good, solid data on the problems with Nors and the pros and cons of potential solutions.

Once this project is complete, it will give us a much better idea of how to proceed. This will, in turn, let us look at projects like a revision of the DS9 block (much like Coming of Age did for the TNG block) and new DS9-themed expansions. I'm excited for this project to get off the ground.
Project Warrior
(Project Warrior is an exploratory design project looking for ways to do to ground combat what Tactics did for ship combat.)

Here's what I said in our previous update, as nothing has changed: "Our team of exploratory designers, Allen Gould [AllenGould] and Jon Carter [pfti] are starting to play around with ideas tried in Metamorphosis. The project was born from the attempted conversions of the Assault and Maneuver cards, which weren't satisfying in the original file. Allen and Jon will be working hard on this, trying to innovate, over the next few months."
Project Annika
(Project Annika is an exploratory design project looking for ways to play Borg along with other affiliations.)

Due to personal obligations, the team has had to push pause on this project. I've seen some of their early work and I'm excited for them to pick it up again when circumstances allow. Here's what I had to say last time: "Project Annika is investigating the idea of Borg cards being in non-Borg decks and/or non-Borg cards being in Borg decks. Jorn Engstrom (admiral-mogh) is the coordinator for Project Annika, and he and his team have a lot of big, exciting ideas. That's idea for these exploratory projects, because it's all about trying things without deadlines or fear of failure. Now, they'll test and try their ideas and hopefully get a better sense of the possibilities."
[/quote][/quote]

So this report, much like 2018, is drawing to a close. This past year has been tough for a lot of us, for a lot of different reasons, but a constant source of joy for me has been working on First Edition and interacting with all of you here. We've put out a lot of content for you to enjoy, and it seems like most of it has been well received. Our plans for 2019 and beyond are extensive, and we're all eager to share more news and information with you as we go.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, anything I can give you more information on, or just if there's something you'd like to see more (or less of) in future updates. I wish you all the happiest new year, and hope that you stay sane, safe, and keep expanding your power in the universe. Live Long and Prosper, my friends.

-crp

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm curious; with the last two boutique products having a dual personnel card are there plans for other ones? Maybe something along the lines of Enhanced Premiere's dual personnel but for DS9 and Voyager?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation