This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Damn, those look good.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Those cards wouldn't be for playing, just looking as far as I'm concerned.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh my gooooossssh.

I would play the hell out of these cards.

How are these made, if you don't mind sharing?
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:How are these made, if you don't mind sharing?
I find nice, high-resolution images on trekcore.com and then edit them so that they'll fill a whole card image. For example, in the original image for Enterprise, that planet does not extend nearly that far down (or up). Then I go to the pdf for the card I want to make a Full Art version of, and copy it to the photoshop file I'm working on. There I can crop out just the parts of the template I want to use.

This strategy means that I can only make versions of already virtual cards, since I'm not rebuilding the templates from scratch and pre-virtual cards are too low-resolution. That's why I haven't made a TOS Enterprise (or a Defiant in 2E) - there isn't a playable, virtual version of those ships, and I'm reluctant to put the work in on a card that wouldn't be played.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
This would be amazing for prize support. Reminds me of what Star Wars Destiny does for alternate art as prizes
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:pre-virtual cards are too low-resolution.
With modern cameras, would it work to just take a pic of the card to get a new "scan"? Maybe something like Office Lens (that does a scary good job of straightening out pictures)?
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:I'm reluctant to put the work in on a card that wouldn't be played.
I'd play these in a hot second, and I'd fight anyone from OP who told me it's illegal.

(No offense, LORE.)

What are these printed on and how are they cut? The cardstock itself looks really nice and the cuts have those beautifully rounded corners I can never perfect.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:I'm reluctant to put the work in on a card that wouldn't be played.
I'd play these in a hot second, and I'd fight anyone from OP who told me it's illegal.

(No offense, LORE.)

What are these printed on and how are they cut? The cardstock itself looks really nice and the cuts have those beautifully rounded corners I can never perfect.
That's what got me .. the attention to detail. The corners, as you say, are incredible. It's so frustrating that I gave up trying. They get cut square.
 -  
Community Contributor
I do Galactica corners on mine, which makes me feel cool and cross-property.

First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
FYI. (from the 2E thread)
OKCoyote wrote:Seriously. Can we make a foil series of these?
I'd love to explore this. And make it happen from my corner of the Volunteer World.

But I'm one cog in the machine. A lot will depend on the hand craftsmanship needed to assemble border-less cards (the border on current promos actually is a buffer for less-than-perfect alignment and allows for printing/black marker edging). Knowing Dan and Charlie, they'll want a proof of concept to replicate the quality promo to promo in an efficient way - and that's a good thing for everyone.

But I believe with Lucas's Big Idea, technically on the design side it CAN be done quite efficiently.

I've reached out to Lucas as a first step.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
And for the record, I find Lucas's work here to be stunning, positive, and inspirational.

This is the Community at its Best.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
jjh wrote:And for the record, I find Lucas's work here to be stunning, positive, and inspirational.

This is the Community at its Best.
That's one of the best things about this community IMO (and I mean all 3 games here). So many of us have our little side projects meant to make things better that we're doing not because we have a job to do them but just because we love the game, like this, James' rulebook, a certain spreadsheet ;), the lists of why cards were banned or errata'd and broken links. There's a ton of them out there.

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]