This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which planet should we turn into a mission?

Ardana
2%
Beta XII-A
6%
Cestus III
2%
Cheron
14%
Elba II
2%
Excalbia
14%
Gothos
10%
Holberg 917G
No votes
0%
Melkotian Planet
4%
Miri's planet
6%
Neural
13%
Omega IV
12%
Shore Leave Planet
9%
Sigma Dragonis VI
1%
Taurus II
5%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Edit: Due to a mistake on my part, Cestus III is no longer eligible for this vote. If you've voted for Cestus III, please change your vote to another mission.

Welcome to step 2 of Will of the Collective VI! Previously, you worked together to nominate twenty-six (26) different planets. In this poll, you'll vote on which planet we will turn into a mission as part of this community design process. There were quite a few excellent nominations, which I have had the difficult job of curating that list down to fifteen fourteen.

Your job now is to vote on planet that you want to choose to be the source for our mission, and for our personnel. This poll will be up through Saturday, January 26th, giving you a full forty-eight (48) hours to cast your votes. Each of you will be able to vote for up to two (2) choices, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

If we don't have a clear winner, there will be a runoff vote posted after this poll closes. A runoff will be triggered if the top two choices are tied, or if their combined total number of votes is less than half the total number of votes. Otherwise, there won't be a runoff vote and the winner will move on to the next step. If we do have a runoff vote, it will be a quick, 24-hour poll. So vote, then feel free to reply to this thread with your votes and try to sway others to your side!

Let me tell you a little bit about the method I used to curate the list:

I started by only considering planets that were nominated more than once, as these were deemed to be more popular choices than others. I ran through the following process for those planets, and then repeated the process for the single nomination locations after to fill the gap.

My top priority was picking planets that would allow this process to lead to interesting decisions as we move through, both for the resulting planet mission and the associated personnel. While it's true this community can have fun discussing and tweaking any location and/or personnel, it's more interesting if there are more options to choose from. A planet like Neural, which can feature [Fed] , [Kli], [NA], or even [Neu] cards offers more choices than Delta Vega, which is limited to a few personnel (and all [Fed] ). Therefore, my first threshold was to select planets from the nominations that I felt offered multiple decision points with multiple choices.

Aside from the depth of choices for the mission, I also looked at the number and type of personnel that could - at the "low hanging fruit" level - offer diverse and interesting choices for personnel. While it's true that nearly any planet that was nominated could appear in the lore of a new Captain Kirk or Mr. Spock, those aren't particularly interesting people to make in a collaborative process like this. I looked for missions that could offer personnel of different affiliations - especially anything that could support a [Kli] or [Rom] [OS] personnel - and prioritized those missions.

For the next step, I considered the ability to make a unique or special card (or cards) out of the source material. This not only factored in things such as special abilities on the mission, but potentially other cards that could be created down the line. Gothos made the cut because there's not only a lot of potential for a special ability, but cool Trelane-related cards that design could make down the line. (Or Q-related, depending on how much non-canon we want to play with.)

The last step, what I mentally called the "tie breaker," was how popular the source material was to general Star Trek fandom. Not many people would be able to recognize cards from "Spock's Brain" (even though that planet made the cut), but quite a few people would recognize Trelane from "The Squire of Gothos" and Gothos. When push came to shove, I would go with the more recognizable option than not.

There were some very difficult choices, and while I lament that we can only offer 15 14 options on our polls, it's probably for the better of the process. Too many options can dilute participation and make the process drag on, so having a smaller set of options to work with should help us all stay focused. Don't worry if your nomination didn't make the cut - the Department of First Edition is always looking for more ideas, and this list of nominations will be referenced quite a bit in the future.

Happy voting!

-crp

Edit: Due to a mistake on my part, Cestus III is no longer eligible for this vote. If you've voted for Cestus III, please change your vote to another mission.
 -  
Prophet

Here is a quick run down of the fourteen (14) options, in alphabetical order:

Ardana ("The Cloud Minders")
Notable features: Stratos (city in the clouds)
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [NA]
There are no First Edition cards from this episode.

Beta XII-A ("Day of the Dove")
Notable features: The Beta XII-A entity
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli]

Cestus III ("Arena")
Notable features: Referenced in DS9, the Gorn
Cards from this episode include Artillery Attack, Gorn Encounter, and "We Are the Metrons"

Cheron ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield")
Notable features: RACISM IS BAD, MKAY?

Elba II ("Whom Gods Destroy")
Notable features: Garth of Izar
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed]

Excalbia ("The Savage Curtain")
Notable features: Excalbians, Battle of Good vs. Evil
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli] [NA] [Vul]

Gothos ("The Squire of Gothos")
Notable features: Trelane

Holberg 917G ("Requiem for Methuselah")
Notable features: Flint

Melkotian planet ("Spectre of the Gun")
Notable features: Shootout at the OK Corral
Wyatt Earp is the only First Edition card from this episode.

Miri's planet ("Miri")
Notable features: Nearly identical planet to Earth, Population - All Kids
Likey personnel affiliations: [Fed] [NA]

Neural ("A Private Little War")
Notable features: Guns, Mugato
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli] [NA]

Omega IV ("The Omega Glory")
Notable features: Yangs, Kohms, AMERICA! (Fuck Yeah!)

Shore Leave Planet ("Shore Leave")
Notable features: A white rabbit, very late; you think it, you get it.

Sigma Draconis IV ("Spock's Brain")
Notable features: "Brain, brain, brain! What is brain?
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [NA] [Art]
The image for Yeoman Vaughn appears to be taken from this episode.

Taurus II ("The Galileo Seven")
Notable features: Giants with rocks, Racism never pays
Cards from this episode include Murasaki Effect, Classic Type II Phaser, the shuttle Columubs, and the image for Starship Constitution[/url].

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for Cestus III because I heart Gorn and would love to see a personnel card representing one (or THE one from the episode)!

My second vote was for Excalbia as it would be interesting to see a [Vul] personnel from TOS!

I'm not as well versed in the Original Series as I am with the 24th century shows, so I'm most likely to change my vote as people make their cases here.

I am disappointed that it seems to be mostly only [Fed] and [NA] options for personnel related to these planets, but I get that TOS didn't really rely on affiliations as much as the other show did.

Excited to see what makes the cut!

:borg:

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I voted for Excalbia and Neural because they allow for the largest cross-section of affiliations. And because Megas-Tu isn't a valid option. :D
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I can't decide whether to vote for planets based on the fact that we can get good ❖ Klingons out of them or to vote for planets based on the fact that we can get good ❖ Non-Aligneds out of them. Either way, though, Neural is getting one of my votes.

Excalbia feels like a potential headache to me because of that whole "recreation" angle. Much as I would like to pull Abraham Lincoln out of the Delenn cut file and repitch him to the community. :)
Last edited by BCSWowbagger on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I know it's an uphill battle in this international community for Omega IV, or as Charlie put it, America (Fuck Yeah) , but I'll offer this up:

There's two obvious ways to go with the matching personnel. [OS] [Fed] Ronald Tracey or [OS] [NA] Cloud William

Either presents some really fun design possibilities:

For Tracey, having a non- [MQ] [OS] [Fed] with [SD] Acquisition and [SD]Treachery fills a couple of major skill holes for the [OS] player who's looking to avoid dependency on cross quadrant shenanigans. He doesn't need a special ability per se, but a [DL] of Disruptor Overload can be a way to show his in-show destruction of equipment (maybe have it target only [OS] equipment as a counter to [OS] [DL] equipment that is a known [OS] strength.

For Cloud William, having a high strength personnel can be an assist to any deck, and there's a lot of potential for "Jailbreak" shenanigans. Maybe something like [DL] Rescue Captives (if held captive) combined with [SD] If killed in personnel battle, becomes captive instead. So he gets captured then breaks out of jail!

These are just some thoughts for consideration, but I see a LOT of potential in this episode so I respectfully ask those who are persuadable to give Omega IV fair consideration before casting your vote.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Here is a quick run down of the fifteen (15) options, in alphabetical order:

Ardana ("The Cloud Minders")
Notable features: Stratos (city in the clouds)

Beta XII-A ("Day of the Dove")
Notable features: The Beta XII-A entity
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli]

Cestus III ("Arena")
Notable features: Referenced in DS9, the Gorn
Cards from this episode include Artillery Attack, Gorn Encounter, and "We Are the Metrons"

Cheron ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield")
Notable features: RACISM IS BAD, MKAY?

Elba II ("Whom Gods Destroy")
Notable features: Garth of Izar

Excalbia ("The Savage Curtain")
Notable features: Excalbians, Battle of Good vs. Evil
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli] [NA] [Vul]

Gothos ("The Squire of Gothos")
Notable features: Trelane

Holberg 917G ("Requiem for Methuselah")
Notable features: Flint

Melkotian planet ("Spectre of the Gun")
Notable features: Shootout at the OK Corral
Wyatt Earp is the only First Edition card from this episode.

Miri's planet ("Miri")
Notable features: Nearly identical planet to Earth, Population - All Kids
Likey personnel affiliations: [Fed] [NA]

Neural ("A Private Little War")
Notable features: Guns, Mugato
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [Kli] [NA]

Omega IV ("The Omega Glory")
Notable features: Yangs, Kohms, AMERICA! (Fuck Yeah!)

Shore Leave Planet ("Shore Leave")
Notable features: A white rabbit, very late; you think it, you get it.

Sigma Draconis IV ("Spock's Brain")
Notable features: "Brain, brain, brain! What is brain?
Likely personnel affiliations: [Fed] [NA] [Art]
The image for Yeoman Vaughn appears to be taken from this episode.

Taurus II ("The Galileo Seven")
Notable features: Giants with rocks, Racism never pays
Cards from this episode include Murasaki Effect, Classic Type II Phaser, the shuttle Columubs, and the image for Starship Constitution.
Taurus II may not have the most options, but I like the idea of it playing with existing cards - either now or somewhere down the road.
 -  
Prophet
Hi folks,

Unfortunately, I need to remove one of the choices from consideration: Cestus III. It seems that, when I was doing a check on what's coming in the upcoming [OS] projects (Delenn, G'Kar, and Londo), I missed that our Gorn Friend from "Arena" was already in one of the files. That wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but he's pretty key to what that expansion is doing. Since Mr. Gorn is likely to be the personnel created from Cestus III, should it win, it's going to be easiest for everyone if we take that mission off the table.

I think that, while I can edit the poll, if I do, it will reset all the votes. So instead, I'm going to just strike it from the rolls and ask anyone that's voted for Cestus III to vote for a different mission instead. I'll edit the above posts to make this clear as well.

I apologize for this mistake. Hopefully, the Cestus III fans can find another mission they like among the fourteen (14) remaining.

-crp

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Hi folks, Unfortunately, I need to remove one of the choices from consideration: Cestus III. It seems that, when I was doing a check on what's coming in the upcoming [OS] projects (Delenn, G'Kar, and Londo), I missed that our Gorn Friend from "Arena" was already in one of the files. That wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but he's pretty key to what that expansion is doing.
I am bummed that we won't have a chance to make a Gorn card, but I am SUPER excited to see what a Gorn focused expansion will be like! Totally on board with that!

So I'll change my vote to Neural (and still Excalbia) instead; more affiliation options.

-  
Prophet
Borg King wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:Hi folks, Unfortunately, I need to remove one of the choices from consideration: Cestus III. It seems that, when I was doing a check on what's coming in the upcoming [OS] projects (Delenn, G'Kar, and Londo), I missed that our Gorn Friend from "Arena" was already in one of the files. That wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but he's pretty key to what that expansion is doing.
I am bummed that we won't have a chance to make a Gorn card, but I am SUPER excited to see what a Gorn focused expansion will be like! Totally on board with that!

So I'll change my vote to Neural (and still Excalbia) instead; more affiliation options.

Well, it's more focused on what the Gorn did than the Gorn themselves, but hopefully you'll still like it. :)

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Iron Prime wrote:Mistakes happen. Plus we kinda got a spoiler outta the deal... 8) :cheersL:
Agreed. As a major TOS Gorn fan (I even created a Gorn character in a Trek PBEM Roleplaying game back in the day) I'm happy to hear they're getting some attention. I'll pick something else for my second choice (first choice being, you guessed it, Cheron! :shifty: )

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]