This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which special ability, if any, should be on our mission?

No special ability.
38%
(Asymmetric Option #1)
2%
(Asymmetric Option #2)
4%
(Asymmetric Option #3)
2%
When seeded, may download an Excalbian.
2%
+X points if no Treachery in Away Team when solved.
2%
Once during Seed Phase, you may rotate this mission.
36%
When seeded, you may rotate this mission.
2%
When seeded, you may download The Savage Curtain.
4%
When seeded, you may download Excalbian Drama.
No votes
0%
Away Teams here may not exceed X personnel.
4%
Score 5 points each time you win a personnel battle here.
No votes
0%
Only [1E-AU] [OS] may attempt.
4%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to step 4 of Will of the Collective VI! In the previous step, we received nominations for twelve (12) different special abilities for Excablia. Since we had fewer nominations than the poll software here can support, I did not cut any. Instead, I spent some time make sure they all fit on the template and slightly adjusting the text to meet design standards.

Your job now is to vote on the special ability - if any - that you want to choose to appear on our mission. This poll will be up through Sunday, February 3rd, giving you a full forty-eight (48) hours to cast your votes. Each of you will be able to vote for a single choices, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

If we don't have a clear winner, there will be a runoff vote posted after this poll closes. A runoff will be triggered if the top two choices are tied, or if their combined total number of votes is less than half the total number of votes. Otherwise, there won't be a runoff vote and the winner will move on to the next step. If we do have a runoff vote, it will be a quick, 24-hour poll. So vote, then feel free to reply to this thread with your votes and try to sway others to your side!

Here are the three asymmetric options, since there wasn't space for them in the poll:
Asymmetric Option #1 wrote: Your side: No affiliation attack restrictions here.
Opponent's side: When seeded, download up to 4 [OS] personnel here.
Asymmetric Option #2 wrote: Your side: +X points if no Treachery in Away Team when solved.
Opponent's side: +X points if no Honor in Away Team when solved.
Asymmetric Option #3 wrote: Your side: When solved, may download an Honor personnel here.
Opponent's side: When solved, may download a Treachery personnel here.
In the mean time, after you've voted, head over to the character nomination step to suggest which character we'll make that has "Excalbia" in their lore!

Happy voting!

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Some fun choices here!
These options seem to me to be functionally identical. Will their votes be counted together?
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:Some fun choices here!
These options seem to me to be functionally identical. Will their votes be counted together?
As discussed in the previous thread, they are very slightly different. Since we didn't need the list to be curated, I left both in.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
@MidnightLich

Is:
The rules correct version of my entry:
[DL] The Savage Curtain
If so, it's missing the part where it would be on both ends of the card, so both players can download their own "The Savage Curtain" (one each.)

If that's not possible then no worries, just figured I'd check.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
 -  
Prophet
MattgomeryScott wrote:@MidnightLich

Is:
[DL] The Savage Curtain
If so, it's missing the part where it would be on both ends of the card, so both players can download their own "The Savage Curtain" (one each.)

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Yeah, we've never done a [DL] on a mission. It's usually a seed phase trigger (When you seed...) or an order (Once per game...).

And by default, special game text will be on both sides; sorry for not making it more clear.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
MattgomeryScott wrote:@MidnightLich

Is:
[DL] The Savage Curtain

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
Yeah, we've never done a [DL] on a mission. It's usually a seed phase trigger (When you seed...) or an order (Once per game...).

And by default, special game text will be on both sides; sorry for not making it more clear.

-crp
No problem, I'm really rusty with 1E (even more than 2E. :shifty: ) Thanks for getting back to me, that sounds fine.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:Some fun choices here!
As discussed in the previous thread, they are very slightly different. Since we didn't need the list to be curated, I left both in.

-crp
To elaborate, if you have to rotate when seeded, that means your opponent will have that information when seeding dilemmas and facilities (and later missions). If you can rotate whenever during the seed phase, it creates a different interplay, because your opponent won't know which set of requirements (presumably we'd have different requirements with this ability) you'll be going for.

Also, asymmetric option #2 was mine, but if you were considering voting for it, I would like to give my formal endorsement (FWIW) to "Once during Seed Phase, you may rotate this mission". Please vote for that instead.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Might need to say “owner may” rather than “you may”. Otherwise you rotate it, Gametext then applies to opponent, they rotate it too, net effect: fuck all.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:Might need to say “owner may” rather than “you may”. Otherwise you rotate it, Gametext then applies to opponent, they rotate it too, net effect: fuck all.
Functionally, it might be easier to just make this a two-sided mission (with "flipped" requirements on the other side).
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Just my 2 cents as a casual player of 1e: I dislike asymmetric missions, and I dislike rotating asymmetric missions even more. It's confusing and doesn't really add anything of substance to the gameplay.

I don't particularly care what non-rotational option we go for - I personally like 5 points for battle, but I'll bandwagon on to anything we need to in order to defeat the rotational abilities.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:Just my 2 cents as a casual player of 1e: I dislike asymmetric missions, and I dislike rotating asymmetric missions even more. It's confusing and doesn't really add anything of substance to the gameplay.

I don't particularly care what non-rotational option we go for - I personally like 5 points for battle, but I'll bandwagon on to anything we need to in order to defeat the rotational abilities.
I really hate asymetric missions personally and I agree

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:Might need to say “owner may” rather than “you may”. Otherwise you rotate it, Gametext then applies to opponent, they rotate it too, net effect: fuck all.
My reasoning behind is that when seeded it will face the owner of the card and when it is rotate to face the opponent he cannot because of the "once". I may be wrong though :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:Just my 2 cents as a casual player of 1e: I dislike asymmetric missions, and I dislike rotating asymmetric missions even more. It's confusing and doesn't really add anything of substance to the gameplay.

I've got to agree, the rotating text feels to me like a bit of a waste of a special ability (especially as there's already a card that rotates a mission isn't there?) The only option I feel would be more of a waste is no special ability. But I respect that if that's the way the community wants to go, then we'll go with that.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor

Do you hate Modal missions in 2e? Because that's basically the same concept.

Personally, the more I considered it, the more I like the thought of Excalbia as a rotating mission so a player can go with "good guys" or "bad guys" which also increases the deck options.

:twocents:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]