This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

What should be the point value of Excalbia?

No votes
0%
No votes
0%
14%
2%
8%
16%
51%
4%
6%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to step 5 of Will of the Collective VI! In the previous step, it was decided that Excalbia would have no special ability, which means the mission can have two full lines of requirements. But before we can decide the requirements, we are going to decide how many points the mission should be worth.

You might ask - why decide points before deciding requirements? And that's a valid question, because it could be done in either order. I've chosen to have you decide the points before the requirements because it gives you more control. If we'd done nominations and a vote for requirements first, the points would largely be dictated by those requirements and there would be little choice. By letting you set the point value first, I'm able to give you guidelines for the difficulty of the requirements and still give you the freedom to nominate within those guidelines.

With that being said, your job now is to vote on the point value of the specific mission. This poll will be up through Thursday, February 7th, giving you a full forty-eight (48) hours to cast your votes. Each of you will be able to vote for a single point, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

Because of the small range of choice, there will not be a runoff vote for this step. In the event that the top two choices are tied, a winner will be randomly determined.

Here is some general information about the requirements that would be tied to each point value option on this poll:
10 points - Trivial requirements such as a single skill, an attribute value, or a small number of personnel.

15-20 points - Easy requirements such as a single uncommon skill and/or a small attribute value, a common characteristic, or a small number of common skills.

25-30 points - Moderate requirements including 2-3 common or uncommon skills and an attribute total that can reasonably be met by a small Away Team. Might include an usual requirement (i.e. landed ship).

35 points - The gold standard, so to speak. Typically involves four skills and/or an attribute value that requires a medium sized (5+) Away Team. This is usually the place where unusual requirements become likely.

40 points - Stealable in OTF, generally requires one or more rare skills as part of its 4-6 skills. Attribute requirements can require very small numbers (<20) or require a large (8+) Away Team

45-50 points - Includes multiple rare skills, lots of skills at multiple levels, or rare or unique requirements such as an Artifact.

In the mean time, after you've voted, head over to the [url=viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37286]character vote[/quote] to decide which character we'll make that has "Excalbia" in their lore!

Happy voting!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:What about 10X where X = (Treachery-Honor) or (Honor-Treachery), maximum 4?

Can I vote for that option?
That tends to fall into the realm of special abilities, and since it was decided not to include one, it's pretty much off the table. Sorry! However, that's an excellent idea for a special skill on a personnel or a future support card.

-crp

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I went for 40 points. Making a mission stealable can be nice balance factor for doing something powerful related tot he mission. If we want to make strong natives for this planet (knowing that they could be downloaded by Preserver Obelisk) making this mission stealable makes the choice to include it an interesting one (ie: it's not an auto include)

- James M

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:I went for the standard 35. I could be convinced otherwise.
Ditto.
I also thought about 30 since the natives will be adding to it...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I voted for 20* because I am a psychopath the same-old same-old pattern of 30 and 35 and 40 point missions is so boring at this point I could spit out a molar.

Since we're not doing anything special with the mission's gametext, let's do something a little out of the box with its points / requirements. Let its requirements be ludicrously simple ("Honor OR Treachery"), give it a really good native, and then make it a tough choice by making it worth just enough points to put you over the top if you've already got some bonus points coming from somewhere.

*(I originally voted for 25, which seemed more balanced, but saw two other votes for 20 and figured I'd have to bandwagon.)
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:Where does discarding personnel fit in?

Investigate Legend and Treat Plague Ship both involve it. What's the "cost"?
That's tough. I'd ballpark it as more expensive than an uncommon skill, and I don't think I'd use it on the same mission as an attribute requirement.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
commdecker wrote:Is there some kind of guideline or pattern that's followed by other TOS missions in this block which are using the "natives" mechanic?
Not moreso that I've outlined above. 1E missions have historically been all over the place, and only relatively recently have we started to come up with guidelines.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:

That's tough. I'd ballpark it as more expensive than an uncommon skill, and I don't think I'd use it on the same mission as an attribute requirement.

-crp
So would Honor x4 and discard 2 Treachery OR Treachery x4 and discard 2 Honor be worth 45 points? Because that's what I think it should be and want to vote accordingly.
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:

-crp
So would Honor x4 and discard 2 Treachery OR Treachery x4 and discard 2 Honor be worth 45 points? Because that's what I think it should be and want to vote accordingly.
At least.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]