Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
What do you do after you learn how to play a game? Granted a lot of games can be one time affairs, but what about more detailed games, either CCG or adjacent? Transformers CCG, Star Wars Destiny and the like. How did you go form knowing how to play the game versus becoming the expert you are today?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Cmdr Xym wrote:When I become an expert, I'll let you know. 8)
+1

:lol:
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2023
Kaiser wrote:
Latok wrote:The actually path from learning to being an 'expert' is losing, a lot.
:thumbsup:

Definitely agree. Only way to get better at this game specifically is to play against good players for example playing Kevin jaeger I know it’s an up hill battle but learning from past matches our games recently when I’ve travelled have not been a blow out but come down to merely 1 turn or 2.

(Granted that’s the 1e perspective since he doesn’t play 2e, 1e comes down to who makes the least number of game altering mistakes)

Now second edition....

Playing Michael over and over months in and out does get rough but that helps you become a better player. In our last local, Michael brought KCA cardassians focus with all the interrupts and I was playing a ds9 interference type deck / solver. I had managed to kill prolly all but 3 ppl in play, stop survey new world
Multiple times with one dilemma, etc....

Don’t get discouraged when you lose a lot, learn from it, tweak the deck, do test draws, etc and you will do better next time. If playing someone pointed out a notable flaw, then fix it next time and kick butt.

Speaking from ferenginar, it’s no secret when we travel we tend to do well, and that’s because we practice against great players and it tests and pushes us to further limits

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Basically keep playing and learning. Thats true for all the games. Even experts can learn new stuff.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Copy, card-for-card, an attrition dilemma pile built by a good player. Modify this very little as you experiment with different draw decks. Then, years later, see if you can make your own dilemma pile. Dilemma play is the biggest factor differentiating players. If you fail there you will lose, a lot.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Naetor wrote:Copy, card-for-card, an attrition dilemma pile built by a good player. Modify this very little as you experiment with different draw decks. Then, years later, see if you can make your own dilemma pile. Dilemma play is the biggest factor differentiating players. If you fail there you will lose, a lot.
I resisted netdecking for a long time, but my own deckbuilding never really got better. (In fact I'm thinking about starting a "Make My Deck Better" series on this board. Would that interest people?) Now I spend time looking at what other people do when I want to try something out. I certainly have more success with other people's builds, but sometimes I get lucky (or good) with my own.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
jadziadax8 wrote:(In fact I'm thinking about starting a "Make My Deck Better" series on this board. Would that interest people?)
Yes!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:(In fact I'm thinking about starting a "Make My Deck Better" series on this board. Would that interest people?)
Yes!
Done!

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Basically keep playing and learning. That's true for all the games. Even experts can learn new stuff.
I echo this and similar statements. Experience is the best teacher. I like to say you win and learn or you learn. While some losses can be tough, there's always a lesson, and even the games you win can teach you a lot about how to do things better or more efficiently. In the heat of it you'll find out combos you didn't even plan on using or didn't know about. Play games, play a lot, play lots of different players with different styles. Ask questions. Never be afraid to learn (lose).
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]