Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Hey Team

I am not sure how often this gets updated.

I have been contacted by a former player looking to get back into the game. He asked for links to beginner Decks, that i gave, and it looks Torbjorn has been working overtime and created a bunch, that i am sure work fine.

However, since we can now print out ANY card, why not update these decks to use uncommon and rare cards that

1) make the starter a little more competitive and
2) add more TREK flavour to the deck

Anything complicated can get the boot, but I am sure some V cards are more complicated than some earlier rares, and are just in the decks because they required a V to qualify.

It has been talked about before (Klingons V Feds) etc decks, nothing seems to have progressed. And it was talked about a LONG time ago...

Anyway, I think these decks did a grand job in their day, but we have more tools to make newbies decks way more interesting and competitive, i think we should use it

Happy to help if required

Honest
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
These are the decks I'm bringing to PAX: Demo Decks. My goal with those decks was to make them stripped down versions of competitive decks, so they could easily be upgraded as the beginner gets used to them.

The decks I've tested the most are the TNG and Klingon decks. I did update the TNG deck, because the power level felt low compared to the other decks: TNG II. Unfortunately the Mirror TNG crew is just a bit more complicated than I wanted for these decks, but having some protection from the In Developments makes too big a difference (especially since TNG has so much difficulty with other staples like Outclassed). Early testing with the new TNG deck indicates I could switch the New Life to something else. Open to suggestions for verbs that have good TNG flavor but are simple and would help this deck.

Edit: Jason Tang used the dilemma pile with his Minnesota Masters Deck last year and was pleased with the results. His deck is part of why I switched to a Disadvantage Into Advantage strategy for the TNG deck.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Thank you

These are exactly what I was getting at.

If we could move these closer to the "new players come here, download these to try" portal I think we'd be better off

Honest

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Have the Maquis been updated by now? There were still [Fed] Treachery personnel without [Maq] in there.

Cheers

Nerdo
 -  
Community Contributor
Nerdopolis Prime wrote:Have the Maquis been updated by now? There were still [Fed] Treachery personnel without [Maq] in there.
I haven't made a Maquis Demo Deck, because I figure the Maquis are pretty far down the list of factions a new player would want to try. That said, the Maquis are probably the best way to get Voyager mains into a Demo Deck, so maybe I should. Here are the decks I have right now:

TNG
DS9
Klingon
Borg
Starfleet
TOS

As for the V-starters, those are much better for sealed play, and I think someone is working on updating them. The Florida play group in particular uses them frequently - they'd be able to tell you the most about their balance. The Demo Decks would actually be quite lousy for sealed - they're so tightly designed that it'd be pretty unlikely that any given sealed pool would have much to add to them.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
edgeofhearing wrote:That said, the Maquis are probably the best way to get Voyager mains into a Demo Deck, so maybe I should.
Apologies for being dense, but what do you mean by that?
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote:Apologies for being dense, but what do you mean by that?
The way that Voyager decks work is not very conducive to a quick new player demo environment. With most affiliations, I can just explain "you play your people here, you send them to these other missions, you complete them, then you win the game." With Voyager, I've got to explain the event card type much earlier in the process than I'd like, and it is further complicated by Finding Our Way making me explain the Order Phase during set-up.

So, not only are you not just telling someone "just play your people and ships here," you're telling them "you can't play your people until you get a ship, and to get your ship you need to get an event at this part of your turn, then use it at this other part of your turn, but now you can't play your ship, you need to wait until your next turn to play it, unless you get it in your opening hand in which case nevermind please just play TNG."

I dream of a [Voy] [H] for beginner play, or even just a [Voy] [E] [H], it would make teaching the game to Voyager fans so much easier.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Gotcha, but I didn't understand your "Maquis is the best for Voyager mains" reference (unless you were referring to Chakotay, Tuvok, Torres and Tom - Voyager faces sporting the Maquis symbol).
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
It’s funny that you mention this, Kieren. I’m on a team that has volunteered to take a look at the virtual starters to update them. Once I get done with the board searches, I’ll be able to spend more time with them. Anyone here who is interested in working on this project should PM me and Ross.

In the meantime, new players could be sent to the Spotlight Series articles. I wrote an article highlighting what I thought was a beginner-friendly deck for every affiliation in the game.

https://www.trekcc.org/articles/index.php?cat=11

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Would it be possible to create some sort of link or maybe sticky topic on the front page where they could get a collection of links to all the different spotlight series articles, so they don't have to dig so deep to find them?
Or maybe as an addendum to the "New or returning" faq...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
monty42 wrote:Would it be possible to create some sort of link or maybe sticky topic on the front page where they could get a collection of links to all the different spotlight series articles, so they don't have to dig so deep to find them?
Or maybe as an addendum to the "New or returning" faq...
That's a great idea. I will write something up.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]