Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
I wonder, how many players and player groups worldwide are still active? How many testing groups are active btw?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Looking at 2019 so far, there have been 42 2E events and 118 players have played in at least one of those, playgroups is harder so I didn't look at that sorry.

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
In 2018 234 players played at least once 2E. Several years ago it was between 350-450 players. I havent played in a while and have no intention of ever playing again but given the stillness on the boards I would argue that there are no more than a handful of players left. So, what happened that the boards are so quiet?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I bet somebody's gonna say that everybody left because three people are arguing a lot...

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
vlasopes wrote:In 2018 234 players played at least once 2E. Several years ago it was between 350-450 players. I havent played in a while and have no intention of ever playing again but given the stillness on the boards I would argue that there are no more than a handful of players left. So, what happened that the boards are so quiet?
"The Boards" != 2e anymore, if it ever did. With playgroups smaller I think people have gone to internal messaging via Facebook, group text, Discord, etc. instead.

When I used to tell Corbett he sucked at his job, I had to make a post here and get 6 pages of responses. Now I just send him a text, accompanying with a pic.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
For playgroups, you could look at tournament venues. There are about 15 groups that have hosted an event so far in 2019, so that's a low-end estimate.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:
vlasopes wrote:In 2018 234 players played at least once 2E. Several years ago it was between 350-450 players. I havent played in a while and have no intention of ever playing again but given the stillness on the boards I would argue that there are no more than a handful of players left. So, what happened that the boards are so quiet?
"The Boards" != 2e anymore, if it ever did. With playgroups smaller I think people have gone to internal messaging via Facebook, group text, Discord, etc. instead.

When I used to tell Corbett he sucked at his job, I had to make a post here and get 6 pages of responses. Now I just send him a text, accompanying with a pic.
Speaking of Internal Messaging - you should join my Discord, Vlad. We'd love to have you.

TK

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
First, I'd say that a certain amount of attrition from a game that's been technically dead for twelve years is to be expected. But, we should still make effort to keep the game alive and healthy as long as we can.

There are certain things the CC can do to support a healthy game - some of which it's doing well, and for some of which there are opportunities for improvement. But, I'd rather focus on what I think can be done at the local and regional level to combat the decline in players you're noticing.

Take the Cardassia Region, for example. We seem to be doing quite well, comparatively, with strong and growing playgroups in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. We're also on track to host the most well-attended North American Continentals in at least the last six years. Shameless plug warning here: come to Atlanta for NA Continentals in June, it's going to be huge! Full schedule with registration links here. :wink:

In my opinion, and based on the travelling I've done within the region, here's why I think we're doing well (note: I do not mean to imply that any of the following qualities are unique to our region).

1. We've tamed our local legends (or they've gone). Nothing sucks the energy out of a local quite so much as showing up knowing that you're going to get utterly destroyed by the same player event after event after event. In some cases, our local legends have realized this and they've started playing less nasty decks or actually helping other, newer players get better at the cost of their own short-term rating. This is smart. In other cases, newer players have actually gotten good enough to challenge the local legends consistently. In still others, the local legends have given up the game or moved to another playgroup. In any case, having a diverse and competitive field is better.

2. We have fun at our events. In events I've attended in Florida, Alabama, and here in Georgia, I've noticed another common denominator: we treat each other as friends and we have fun. We laugh. We treat tournaments not just as opportunities to compete, but also to enjoy one another's company. Some groups or regions are burdened by assholes - the kind of people who just ruin the mood, win or lose. We've been lucky the last several years, and I'd like to think that our various TDs have made an effort to cultivate a play environment in which would-be assholes are encouraged to relocate their humanity a little bit.

3. We have regularly scheduled events with regularly available prize support. In Atlanta, we schedule events months ahead of time to give our players a chance to incorporate them into their lives. The Atlanta group also coordinate with the Birmingham group (and others) to help facilitate travel between groups (this has the added benefit of building comradery) - and we do travel to support one another. Now, sometimes this means as TDs we have to spend some money or expend great effort. We loan each other prize support when the CC is slow to ship. We dig into our private stashes to make sure no player goes home empty handed. We cover or waive player's fees in cases were those fees might prevent people from playing. We drive hours, if need be, to play and we give other players rides. I probably spend a few hundred dollars a year of my own money on regular, local events that I never get back - and that's not including what I'm on the hook for for Continentals. I know other TDs make significant investments of their own time and treasure as well - I've seen them do it. But, so far, we seem to think the investment is worth the expense.

4. We try and recruit as best we can, and we never quite give up on the old players either. This post is already longer than I'd intended, so I'll just say here that we go out of our way to make players feel important and welcomed. Sometimes it means taking the time to build decks for them, or loaning out decks or cards. Sometimes it means steering them to a particular thread on the forums that answers a question they might have (and encouraging them to ignore the occasional drama). You get the idea...

Again - and just so I am not misunderstood - it is not my intention to say other groups and/or TDs aren't doing this. What I can tell you is that I think we in Cardassia are doing these things well, and that this accounts for the health of the region. We've got great and dedicated TDs here, and they've (we've) worked hard to build loyal and enthusiastic groups. In the end, this game won't survive long without.

If you've read this far, thanks for indulging. :cheersL:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
monty42 wrote:I bet somebody's gonna say that everybody left because three people are arguing a lot...
I don't think they'd be wrong to do so. There's an easy comparison to 1E which has had 59 unique players participate in only 19 events so far this year and yet the 1E forums are equally if not more active week to week, even ignoring the Will of the Collective finishing up atm. So why is that, well obviously like with pretty much everything there's many contributing factors but one of those is definitely the differing atmospheres of the two forums over the last 4-5 years.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:I bet somebody's gonna say that everybody left because three people are arguing a lot...
... nope ...
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I have felt wary about trek since the day some years ago when someone asked in the PoR about declining tournament participants. Year on year ... terrible, inevitable decline.

Now, I'm starting to feel better. Have a look at the Star Trek CCG facebook group and TK's discord. People are realising that this thing that they thought died before they ever found anyone to play against ... lives online. And like me, many of them are going to come back and realise that 2e is more their kind of game speed than the 1e they used to know.

I think Ross is on to something with his weekly front page updates - surfaces the things that you can only find by following the active topics link.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]