Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Armus wrote:I'll take Ken for the upside, Johannes for the upside, and Nate, because sometimes chalk is chalk for a reason.

How is this new rule set going to impact Road to Worlds, if at all?

Nate's fixing to be a ratings Pinata. Maggie is all upside and doesn't need a tournament win to get a big increase. She pulls a move on at least one of the big dogs and cashes in.
You only lose rating points if you lose, Brian.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Armus wrote:
Armus wrote:I'll take Ken for the upside, Johannes for the upside, and Nate, because sometimes chalk is chalk for a reason.

How is this new rule set going to impact Road to Worlds, if at all?

Nate's fixing to be a ratings Pinata. Maggie is all upside and doesn't need a tournament win to get a big increase. She pulls a move on at least one of the big dogs and cashes in.
This is the correct take.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
edgeofhearing wrote: That said, if this format ends up sucking, I can always try something different next year.
I like it so far.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Congrats to Maggie for paying off the upside with a +61 at San Diego Masters!

In other events, MVB goes 3-0 for a +23, just edging out Tufts, who went 2-1 for +21, while across the pond, Sascha Kiefer wins the Kassel Regional, going 4-0 for +20 ratings points, but the big mover was Philip Scholz, a sub-1500 player who logged wins against heavy hitters Tjark Ott and Benjamin Liebich to record a monster +45 rating point gain and land above 1500 for the first time since 2013! Congrats to Philip on the outsize performance! :cheersL:

This format is definitely interesting. Going #chalk can pay off (see MVB) but chalk players have a lot less control over the outcome here as they could beat an upside player who still gets a big ratings gain from other wins (see both Maggie and Philip, who both lost to the respective tournament winners).

Makes it a lot harder to predict on a week to week basis.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Thanks Brian, and I appreciate you doing the run-down of who got the highest rating jumps in each tournament. It’s a fun metric to look at to hear about players who don’t normally get a lot of attention, like Philip.

:cheersL: to everyone who played this weekend.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]