Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote:Throwing dilemmas just to find out what they do. That's something I've seen in demos but I never thought about it like that. Thanks!
I generally won't even show dilemmas to the newbie until the first player attempts a mission. Just a few turns of "Play and Draw" first, to get the hang of that. Then "here are the orders you can 'execute', let's do a mission attempt". Usually it'll be me attempting first (since I'll go first in order to demonstrate how to spend counters), and I'll explain dilemmas while they're looking at the dilemmas they drew to stop me ("you'll notice these have a cost too... and they have icons that match the mission icons..."). And, with the demo piles, as long as they match the mission icon and spend all the counters they can, even if they don't read the dilemmas' text, they're almost guaranteed to stop me on my first attempt.

Another dilemma I've learned not to put in new players' piles over the years is Timescape. I've yet to have a new player read that text and not think that it will stop the attempt on its own.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
edgeofhearing wrote:Another dilemma I've learned not to put in new players' piles over the years is Timescape. I've yet to have a new player read that text and not think that it will stop the attempt on its own.
That is exactly how my friends and I read and played the card the first few times when we started.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
edgeofhearing wrote:Also, New Life turned out to be pretty hard for beginners to parse, so I switched to a third Disadvantage Into Advantage in the demo decks.
Interesting. We introduced a new player to the game a couple weeks ago, and New Life seemed to be her favorite card.
 -  
Community Contributor
GooeyChewie wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:Also, New Life turned out to be pretty hard for beginners to parse, so I switched to a third Disadvantage Into Advantage in the demo decks.
Interesting. We introduced a new player to the game a couple weeks ago, and New Life seemed to be her favorite card.
Of course, it isn't like Disadvantage is super easy to fully grasp either - the symmetry is not immediately obvious, and I often had to explain that the copies were cumulative. But it was more the focus of the deck, in large part because a New Life-focused 35 card demo deck would deck out way too fast.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Wonderful to see your efforts there. Have they payed off? Some new players gathering around the plasma fire?

By Firefly
 -  
Hey! I walked by while you were demoing to someone on Friday. I think I excitedly squealed seeing someone play out in the wild, but wasn't able to stop and say hi.
 -  
Community Contributor
Firefly wrote:Hey! I walked by while you were demoing to someone on Friday. I think I excitedly squealed seeing someone play out in the wild, but wasn't able to stop and say hi.
Well, if you're in the Boston area, there will be other opportunities to see Trek in the wild!

Our next regular event is on Sunday, April 28th. We're homeless due to a Magic Prerelease that day at our regular store; trying some other local game stores, but we may just have to food court it. I'll always have extra decks on hand in case you want to stop by:
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=10976

The good news is there is no Magic Prerelease on our regional weekend, which is on Memorial Day weekend this year. 2e will be on Saturday, 1e will be Sunday. I'll have some special completely and totally unofficial full-art cards to give away at those events:
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=10914
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=10915

Taken at our Regional last year:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation