This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm not 100% which version of the Both Queen you're talking about, but for any version the answer to this question is no.

The Queen from The Borg expansion can download a [BO] Event or Interrupt in place of your normal card play. You always only have one of those, so you can only do this once a turn.

The Queen from Shades of Gray let's you download We Are the Borg twice a game, which can be done once or twice on any turn, but to a total of twice a game.

The First Contact Queen lets you download drones in place of card draws, but, in OTF, you are limited to one download a turn so you can only make use of this once.

In theory, you could get three We Are the Borg into play in a single turn by using Shades of Gray Queen to download two copies, plus play one using your normal card play from hand. I'm not sure if there's much point to doing that, because the first function is limited by the download rule, while the second is limited since the second function isn't cumulative.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:I'm not 100% which version of the Both Queen you're talking about, but for any version the answer to this question is no.

The Queen from The Borg expansion can download a [BO] Event or Interrupt in place of your normal card play. You always only have one of those, so you can only do this once a turn.

The Queen from Shades of Gray let's you download We Are the Borg twice a game, which can be done once or twice on any turn, but to a total of twice a game.

The First Contact Queen lets you download drones in place of card draws, but, in OTF, you are limited to one download a turn so you can only make use of this once.

In theory, you could get three We Are the Borg into play in a single turn by using Shades of Gray Queen to download two copies, plus play one using your normal card play from hand. I'm not sure if there's much point to doing that, because the first function is limited by the download rule, while the second is limited since the second function isn't cumulative.
You can download one *into play* in OTF. The other downloads go into your hand.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
prylardurden wrote:
Not_always_but_often wrote:I'm not 100% which version of the Both Queen you're talking about, but for any version the answer to this question is no.

Yes, this is a great point that I glossed over. You can still use her to download the drones you want into your hand, just only at most one into play.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:
prylardurden wrote:

Yes, this is a great point that I glossed over. You can still use her to download the drones you want into your hand, just only at most one into play.
I wonder... why does this rule exist? As far as I know the Borg Queen is the only card in the game this applies to. Glossary also mentions Blood Oath but that should be deleted because of the errata to Blood Oath.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:I wonder... why does this rule exist? As far as I know the Borg Queen is the only card in the game this applies to. Glossary also mentions Blood Oath but that should be deleted because of the errata to Blood Oath.
The last time I looked -- which was a while ago -- I found that it exists literally for the Borg Queen.

It applies to one or two other cards (e.g. One of Eleven Procurement Drone), but Borg Queen is the one using it, and I believe she's using it so you can get some particular interrupt to hand without immediately playing it because of some kind of timing or other.

This rule is on a list somewhere.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Downloaded cards must go into play, except when the download is instead of a carddraw, then it can go into hand instead.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote:Downloaded cards must go into play, except when the download is instead of a carddraw, then it can go into hand instead.
Right, but Takket's question is -- why is that a rule? It seems totally arbitrary, which usually meant Decipher was trying to protect one particular card.

(And my question is, can we delete this rule?)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Enabran wrote:Downloaded cards must go into play, except when the download is instead of a carddraw, then it can go into hand instead.
Right, but Takket's question is -- why is that a rule? It seems totally arbitrary, which usually meant Decipher was trying to protect one particular card.

Plans/Q is the reason the download into play rule exists.

That cheese Ruined Origins one year and that rule change was the fix.

And before you ask, no the Q errata didn't solve this issue.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

Plans/Q is the reason the download into play rule exists.

That cheese Ruined Origins one year and that rule change was the fix.

And before you ask, no the Q errata didn't solve this issue.
What exactly was the cheese? Looking at Q and A Change of Plans I can't figure out what exactly they were trying to accomplish, and I definitely can't figure out how that rule helps with it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote:
Armus wrote: Plans/Q
???
Oh man. Am I the only one to remember this cheese?

I guess it's story time.

Short version: Seed 12 or so Plans of the Tal Shiar or Plans of the Obsidian Order. First turn flip all of them and download 12 Espionage cards to hand. Next, play Remodulation discarding 2 espionage cards at a time and drawing the "real" cards in your deck. Eventually you have a ship + 11 people in your hand (to avoid Scorched Hand) Have your ship + 11 people all be [1E-AU] and do a STP Drop. Q Bypass two missions, and boom.

Reconstructing the scenario tells me this was 1999. The Ref mechanic and It's only a game weren't around yet.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote:Ther was another mess with Examine Singularity Where you download each turn the 3 cards to hand (!) and used them for something else.
Ore Processing, if memory serves - you'd pitch a Deactivation to process, then download it back to hand so you were getting an extra card net.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]