A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden is interested in YOU.
Well, regarding some things, anyway;
(#0) Which Sci-Fi multi-media franchises do you like (besides Trek)?
(#1) How often do you play 1e?
(#2) Why did you choose your avatar(s)?
(#4) How much time do you spend with card games?

Part III:
Why did you choose your internet pseudonym / forum name?
Do you use it only here, or everywhere?

If it's a card -- why that card? (I read KazonPADD's story somewhere, but I could read it again; all others are fair game by any means.)

Why do you like that specific character? (Yes EnsignQ, this one is for you. You too, Takket.)

If it has numbers, why those? (That means you, Jadzia. And Monty. It's not your age... right?)

What does it mean, anyway? (Boffo, Naetor, Wowbagger -- you have a lot to explain. To me at least.)

Why do you write it like-- Capitals and interpunction don't work like that! (BCSWowbagger -- you again?)

If it's your real name (and if we are allowed to know that) -- why on Earth do you have THAT name? 8) (Allen Gould? Who, exactly, do you think you are -- Glenn Gould?
Oh. Allen Gould. Makes sense.)

Just kidding. Shoot only if you have something interesting to tell about it (in your own opinion), and want to do it. Of course.

My answer:
it's the Finnish translation of 'paw of the wolf', an English rendition of which used to be my pseudonym back in the late 90ies. When I fell in love with Finnish culture and mythology at the tail end of that millenium, I had said moniker translated into the Suomi language -- which sounded nice enough -- and adopted it. Hence.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Well, Jadzia is the 8th host of the Dax symbiont, if you count Joran, so that’s where that came from.

I picked Jadzia because she has a skill set similar to mine (Navigation x2 because I always know where north is and I can find any place I’ve driven myself to a second time without a map) and when I was in college, she was everything I wished I could be (e.g. tall, thin, accomplished and beautiful).

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Well, Jadzia is the 8th host of the Dax symbiont, if you count Joran, so that’s where that came from.
Huh! That never occured to me. :thumbsup:
I picked Jadzia because she has a skill set similar to mine (Navigation x2 because I always know where north is and I can find any place I’ve driven myself to a second time without a map)
That's a great story/set of reasons to start this topic! :thumbsup:
and when I was in college, she was everything I wished I could be (e.g. tall, thin, accomplished and beautiful).
... and now, sometime after college, you are all that :wink: (except for thin, I hope. Thin can be nice, but usually is extremely overrated, IMO), I'm sure. You know who you have to ask to be sure. (Is he around? Still traveling?)

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Mine comes from another hobby of mine - horse racing (although I don't follow it as much as I used to, other things have taken over). Silly 16-year-old college freshman version of me was looking for a racehorse name that sounded nice to use as my email address, and Marquetry has stuck with me for over 2 decades now :)
Attachments:
Marquetry3_1_thumb.jpg
Marquetry3_1_thumb.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Another equine enthusiast! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Silly 32YO me decided to start riding at a stable, nigh on a decade back.

I don't follow the sports on TV, though. Too depressing to see how those jocks make it seem sooooo easy to stay in the saddle. :D Kidding -- but I do prefer hands-on participation.

Do you race (or have you done it)? That -- nor jumping -- are for me, either (i.e., aside from not really watching others ride).
Just improving my riding is challenge enough, with those dressage saddles. :wink:

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I haven't done as much riding as I would like, has been a while. I've only ridden western-style, no dressage for me - I'm not fancy enough :) Riding felt natural though, but I get along with most animals pretty well (mammals and reptiles at least).
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
The story of my nickname goes back to the time when I was 17 years old (heck...18 years ago...I'm old now...). During the first tournament in Vienna when people from another Austrian city attended (from Graz - 160 km away) one of those guys took pictures of everything - including me. I had a very...unfortunate big thing at my chin - something the medicine Clearasil could have taken care of. He put the picture online with the name "Clerasil *ggg*" including the spelling mistake.

Because even back then Austria was in Decipher's Borg Region I became Clerasil of Borg - short Clerasil oB. In this year I've managed to attend EVERY tournament in Austria, all in Vienna, all in Graz and even all in Klagenfurt 300 km away - without a driving licence.

So I got promoted to be Clerasil Traveller of Borg - short Clerasil ToB - and I decided to keep that nickname....

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
AllenGould wrote:Um... not much of a story to mine. :shifty:
Same.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Um... not much of a story to mine. :shifty:
Same.
Haha, in that case you don't have to react... but of course, from Allen, I did sollicit a response. :wink: But thx anyway!

I guess that I do wonder about -- why did you choose your own name, i.s.o. a handle? Was that a conscious decision?

On the other hand, there was the complex plot line of Clerasil's story. I really like reading such things. :thumbsup:
(How about others -- are you only interested in Trek and cards and games, or do these things interest you, too? Perhaps I should make that episode #5 of SIIIY.)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: I guess that I do wonder about -- why did you choose your own name, i.s.o. a handle? Was that a conscious decision?
Pretty much. I've never really identified with a Trek character in a "I wanna cosplay as them" sense, and my usual "handle" wasn't appropriate because I wasn't sharing the account, and I was more active on the mailing list than the forums back in the Decipher days (remember mailing lists? ;) ), so I was just.. me. Closest I've come to a Trek handle (that I can recall, anyway) is "Emergency Holographic Wesley" when I was covering Card of the Day duties.

Elsewhere, I tend to use "anyGould" out of habit (also, ease of remembering usernames), which comes from my Puzzle Pirate days. Back then money was tight, subscriptions were expensive, and my spouse and I worked opposite shifts (they worked days, I worked evenings). So, we shared a single account and named it anyGould (as in, any Gould may be running this). Later, they let you have multiple characters on the account, and we split into anyGould and alsoGould for a short while, before Kim switched to a "real" name, and then anyGould became me by default. These days it's mostly funny when subscribing on Twitch, because streamers are never quite sure how to pronounce it. :D

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Mine, which goes back to the Decipher boards, is a combination of my real first name (Matthew... definitely not Matt!) and one of my favourite characters (Montgomery Scott.) I used to use Scotty holding a load of Tribbles as an Avatar too, but lost it at some point.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I am 100% confident we've had one of these threads not too long ago, but I simply cannot find it with either the built-in search engine or Google. Like, BCS's name has nothing to do with football (I guess there's an American football institution with those initials), but a forum search of his posts that contain the word football doesn't return a post in which he explains that his name has nothing to do with football! I am flummoxed!

Likewise, I cannot find any posts by edgeofhearing that contain the phrases "AIM" or "AOL Instant Messenger", so here goes:

Many years ago, young Lucas was casting about for an AOL Instant Messenger screen name during his freshman year of college. He wanted something unusual, and without numbers at the end, and had begun looking through his favorite songs for lines that might be useful. In Ana Ng, by They Might Be Giants, he found the line:

"And in the back of the edge of hearing*
These are the words the voice was repeating"

And young Lucas thought it would be funny (and so very clever) to have a conversation with the edge of hearing, so that's what he picked. And, since no one else has ever followed that tortuous path to the name edgeofhearing, he has not had a problem securing that handle on any other internet platform.

*It always looks weird to me to see that phrase with spaces between the words.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation