This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
User avatar
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Specialist
Donor
1E British National Runner-Up 2021
#479311
Dunnagh wrote:Strange thread that quickly escalated from "help delta" to "CC ERRATA IS BAD"

Holo-Projectors are a VERY good example here:
You do know that holos cant die, right? So reporting a LOT of Holos (that can ALL be dowloaded with Holodeck Door, hello skill-dialing) and redshirting every mission without ever having the fear of dying would kill the game.

So they killed the non-sensical card (which makes no sense whatsoever, trek-sense-wise) and made a card that actually made sense. There are holo-projectors in the game (the holo-village from DS9 for example) that work exactly like that.

I do not always agree with errata or why a card got banned. The only errata I really hated was Q - it was a totally OP card and got errata that made it not only binder fodder but also boring and very un-Q.
:shifty:
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479321
Dunnagh wrote:Strange thread that quickly escalated from "help delta" to "CC ERRATA IS BAD"

Holo-Projectors are a VERY good example here:
You do know that holos cant die, right? So reporting a LOT of Holos (that can ALL be dowloaded with Holodeck Door, hello skill-dialing) and redshirting every mission without ever having the fear of dying would kill the game.

So they killed the non-sensical card (which makes no sense whatsoever, trek-sense-wise) and made a card that actually made sense. There are holo-projectors in the game (the holo-village from DS9 for example) that work exactly like that.

I do not always agree with errata or why a card got banned. The only errata I really hated was Q - it was a totally OP card and got errata that made it not only binder fodder but also boring and very un-Q.

I have posted over 200 topics over all the forums. So as far as your post goes all I can say is welcome to a discovery suxs topic. I live in tennessee so my topics are like the weather here. You never know what my topics are like the next day. :borg:
 
By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#479326
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:
For me creating more Hirogen personel like Janeway is taking to the limit Trek sense, much in the same fashion as Quark (The Gamma Quadrant). Quark was never affiliated with the Dominion. He was trying to open trade deals with the Dominion in season 2 for the Grand Nagus but he never aligned with them, but because the game needed to provide them more peeps, the CC had to get creative and find ways to do that and Quark is one of the results. Janeway might make a little more sense since her memory was wiped for a while to play around in the holographic simulations the Hirogen forced upon the Voyager crew up I still don't see that as them being "aligned" with the Hirogen. I think we need to accept the fact that for the Hirogen, Vidians, Kazon, etc that they were in so few episodes that the CC is one day going to run out of material to make for them. The Federation still has a long way to go in that area since the TV show center around them, but the Romulans, Borg, and Klingons will get to that point soon too one day if the CC continues on that long.
They've been taking Trek Sense to the limit for the sake of personnel since...well Decipher days when they only had Next Generation to work with. Turning Picard as Galen into a non-aligned personnel is an example of that one, he was never really non-aligned and was working to try to stop the mercenaries but he still slipped into the role so non-aligned it is. At least Janeway truly believed she was a Klingon in the scenario and was really a Hirogen 'tool' for what that is worth. Just a note there are at least three Hirogen holograms I can think of left but they'd be minor additions most likely.

Still the fact is, especially depending on how long the CC is around, one day material will run out for everything. The DQ affiliations may already basically be there as I suspect is the mirror sub affiliations. I think the Dominion is close to that. If/when TNG Borg are done that's going to really reduce Borg options. Sooner or later (depending on releases) everyone but possibly the starting affiliations will be out of material to work with.
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479348
Slayer07 wrote:
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:
For me creating more Hirogen personel like Janeway is taking to the limit Trek sense, much in the same fashion as Quark (The Gamma Quadrant). Quark was never affiliated with the Dominion. He was trying to open trade deals with the Dominion in season 2 for the Grand Nagus but he never aligned with them, but because the game needed to provide them more peeps, the CC had to get creative and find ways to do that and Quark is one of the results. Janeway might make a little more sense since her memory was wiped for a while to play around in the holographic simulations the Hirogen forced upon the Voyager crew up I still don't see that as them being "aligned" with the Hirogen. I think we need to accept the fact that for the Hirogen, Vidians, Kazon, etc that they were in so few episodes that the CC is one day going to run out of material to make for them. The Federation still has a long way to go in that area since the TV show center around them, but the Romulans, Borg, and Klingons will get to that point soon too one day if the CC continues on that long.
They've been taking Trek Sense to the limit for the sake of personnel since...well Decipher days when they only had Next Generation to work with. Turning Picard as Galen into a non-aligned personnel is an example of that one, he was never really non-aligned and was working to try to stop the mercenaries but he still slipped into the role so non-aligned it is. At least Janeway truly believed she was a Klingon in the scenario and was really a Hirogen 'tool' for what that is worth. Just a note there are at least three Hirogen holograms I can think of left but they'd be minor additions most likely.

Still the fact is, especially depending on how long the CC is around, one day material will run out for everything. The DQ affiliations may already basically be there as I suspect is the mirror sub affiliations. I think the Dominion is close to that. If/when TNG Borg are done that's going to really reduce Borg options. Sooner or later (depending on releases) everyone but possibly the starting affiliations will be out of material to work with.

They could do what decipher did was star wars. Cg versions. I'm sure if you watch a ep of star trek. You will find hirogen and others not in the game. There are plenty of bad personnel pictures in the game. I'm sure there are plenty of one scene people in eps. I have stated several times. There could be 50 baku in the game. There is only 4 of them. When they were running up the mountain. There was at least 20 close up shots of other baku.

You just have to think about it. I'm perfectly fine with a personnel being a picture of a guy in the background with no lines.
 
By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Moderator
#479355
Discovery suxs wrote:They could do what decipher did was star wars. Cg versions. I'm sure if you watch a ep of star trek. You will find hirogen and others not in the game. There are plenty of bad personnel pictures in the game. I'm sure there are plenty of one scene people in eps. I have stated several times. There could be 50 baku in the game. There is only 4 of them. When they were running up the mountain. There was at least 20 close up shots of other baku.

You just have to think about it. I'm perfectly fine with a personnel being a picture of a guy in the background with no lines.
Hmm .. I'll admit, I'm pretty torn on this.

Upon reading the last couple of posts, its true ... eventually material will run out. I think we have a good 5 - 7 years before that happens. But it will eventually happen. So, the kneejerk reaction is to say "yeah let's just do CG versions."

But, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea. I'm not sure I like the idea of a card image for a personnel being a grainy, far off shot of some dude looking back over his shoulder.

It's an interesting topic, for sure.
 
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#479400
Discovery suxs wrote:
Dunnagh wrote:Strange thread that quickly escalated from "help delta" to "CC ERRATA IS BAD"

Holo-Projectors are a VERY good example here:
You do know that holos cant die, right? So reporting a LOT of Holos (that can ALL be dowloaded with Holodeck Door, hello skill-dialing) and redshirting every mission without ever having the fear of dying would kill the game.

So they killed the non-sensical card (which makes no sense whatsoever, trek-sense-wise) and made a card that actually made sense. There are holo-projectors in the game (the holo-village from DS9 for example) that work exactly like that.

I do not always agree with errata or why a card got banned. The only errata I really hated was Q - it was a totally OP card and got errata that made it not only binder fodder but also boring and very un-Q.

I have posted over 200 topics over all the forums. So as far as your post goes all I can say is welcome to a discovery suxs topic. I live in tennessee so my topics are like the weather here. You never know what my topics are like the next day. :borg:
What part of Tennessee do you live in? I live in Northwest Tennessee and work at the University of Tennessee at Martin.
 
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#479409
cg is bad, it never looks real. its better if they just reuse some characters from different angles. mention that they're related or similar to there original counterparts, just like taurik and vorik or mendon and mordock.

with borgs you can use different angles and shots of the borgs and even give them the same name but different skills from there originals because there all universal drones anyway.

oh and q really needs to be errataed again. sorry but no one likes what happened to q. if something is so wildly unpopular then something needs to get done. id bet there would be more support for redoing q then for anything else cc has thought about and then went ahead and did, like banning cards for being too powerful.
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479412
Tyberius_Deangelo wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:
Dunnagh wrote:Strange thread that quickly escalated from "help delta" to "CC ERRATA IS BAD"

Holo-Projectors are a VERY good example here:
You do know that holos cant die, right? So reporting a LOT of Holos (that can ALL be dowloaded with Holodeck Door, hello skill-dialing) and redshirting every mission without ever having the fear of dying would kill the game.

So they killed the non-sensical card (which makes no sense whatsoever, trek-sense-wise) and made a card that actually made sense. There are holo-projectors in the game (the holo-village from DS9 for example) that work exactly like that.

I do not always agree with errata or why a card got banned. The only errata I really hated was Q - it was a totally OP card and got errata that made it not only binder fodder but also boring and very un-Q.

I have posted over 200 topics over all the forums. So as far as your post goes all I can say is welcome to a discovery suxs topic. I live in tennessee so my topics are like the weather here. You never know what my topics are like the next day. :borg:
What part of Tennessee do you live in? I live in Northwest Tennessee and work at the University of Tennessee at Martin.
Nashville tn
So you know what I mean by the weather lol. I'm sure you know we don't get fall anymore here.
User avatar
 
By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479424
Discovery rox wrote:cg is bad, it never looks real. its better if they just reuse some characters from different angles.
I would really dislike that. When I play 1e I enjoy, among other, the RPG aspect; and having the same characters represented by different cards (personas) would be a no-go for me.

Not sure if CGI would be the answer either. But that ultimately depends on the results -- I'd first have to see a sample of the quality, before I can judge.

SWCCG's Players' Committee, being restricted a lot more than TCC, started using cosplay photos. Hit and miss (usually hit, what I've seen), but with some quality control...? Just thinking aloud.
mention that they're related or similar to there original counterparts, just like taurik and vorik or mendon and mordock.
Yes, well, if used sparingly, this could be an answer in a few cases of those affiliations in the most dire need -- but I'd hate to see it become a standard.
with borgs you can use different angles and shots of the borgs and even give them the same name but different skills from there originals because there all universal drones anyway.
With the Borg, there are SO MANY unused extras on the screen available -- no need to ever double-use them in the current century. :borg: Also, look at the differences between used drone images between 1e and 2e -- either has a legion the other doesn't yet have yet. :borg:
And giving them wildly different skills/designations, then, doesn't bother me so much; P'Chan reprograms them for a living.

But perhaps I should volunteer for finding images we haven't used yet. At least for the Borg (but Mem Alpha's unnamed Borg page is already a great start -- and please begin with formerly female drone images, for both editions (of which there are statistically not enough, as I mentioned some time ago). :wink:
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479434
a example that comes to mind for fenergi is gran nagus brunt and lash his bodyguard. of course that is not delta. Just a small example of one off eps they could do in the future. Fenergi decks would always welcome another nagus to the game. Especially since he could report for free to brunt's shuttle. Which you could get out with COF first turn.
User avatar
 
By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479439
Se7enofMine wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:They could do what decipher did was star wars. Cg versions. I'm sure if you watch a ep of star trek. You will find hirogen and others not in the game. There are plenty of bad personnel pictures in the game. I'm sure there are plenty of one scene people in eps. I have stated several times. There could be 50 baku in the game. There is only 4 of them. When they were running up the mountain. There was at least 20 close up shots of other baku.

You just have to think about it. I'm perfectly fine with a personnel being a picture of a guy in the background with no lines.
Hmm .. I'll admit, I'm pretty torn on this.

Upon reading the last couple of posts, its true ... eventually material will run out. I think we have a good 5 - 7 years before that happens. But it will eventually happen. So, the kneejerk reaction is to say "yeah let's just do CG versions."

But, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea. I'm not sure I like the idea of a card image for a personnel being a grainy, far off shot of some dude looking back over his shoulder.
I feel like there is still a TONNE of material left in the 5 tv series and 10 movies. That's a lot of screen time still with things we haven't done yet. And we often return to the same characters and items in new ways in this game.

Yes. Material has run out on Vidiians, there are no more personnel. But they were only prominently in like 3 episodes. They never had any business being an affiliation. I guess Decipher Voyager set designers had a different approach to affiliations where you could get by with fewer different personnel, etc. We know that had balance issues.

Going forward maybe designers should treat Vidiians as a sub-faction instead of an affiliation.
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479440
Timo wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:They could do what decipher did was star wars. Cg versions. I'm sure if you watch a ep of star trek. You will find hirogen and others not in the game. There are plenty of bad personnel pictures in the game. I'm sure there are plenty of one scene people in eps. I have stated several times. There could be 50 baku in the game. There is only 4 of them. When they were running up the mountain. There was at least 20 close up shots of other baku.

You just have to think about it. I'm perfectly fine with a personnel being a picture of a guy in the background with no lines.
Hmm .. I'll admit, I'm pretty torn on this.

Upon reading the last couple of posts, its true ... eventually material will run out. I think we have a good 5 - 7 years before that happens. But it will eventually happen. So, the kneejerk reaction is to say "yeah let's just do CG versions."

But, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea. I'm not sure I like the idea of a card image for a personnel being a grainy, far off shot of some dude looking back over his shoulder.
I feel like there is still a TONNE of material left in the 5 tv series and 10 movies. That's a lot of screen time still with things we haven't done yet. And we often return to the same characters and items in new ways in this game.

Yes. Material has run out on Vidiians, there are no more personnel. But they were only prominently in like 3 episodes. They never had any business being an affiliation. I guess Decipher Voyager set designers had a different approach to affiliations where you could get by with fewer different personnel, etc. We know that had balance issues.

Going forward maybe designers should treat Vidiians as a sub-faction instead of an affiliation.
There is enough non alinged personnel so I may not like the vidiians. I'm glad they are a real afflication though. I had to make basically a na deck for all my orions. Orion syndicate could easy be a afflication in the game. I bet there is more orions and orion syndicate than vidiians in the game.
User avatar
 
By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479514
Enabran wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Which you could get out with COF first turn.
COF?
Also can't think of it... Except as the name of a black metal band, which is not plausible in the context...

(Link added for said context.)

I've been collecting some stuff for the abbreviations thread. When we find out, this goes in. 8)
User avatar
 
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
#479522
SudenKapala wrote:
Enabran wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Which you could get out with COF first turn.
COF?
Also can't think of it... Except as the name of a black metal band, which is not plausible in the context...

(Link added for said context.)

I've been collecting some stuff for the abbreviations thread. When we find out, this goes in. 8)
Sorry CFR

Call for reinforcements

Are you at Budget? We had an awful time there[…]

Jared gets the FW 100-65 over me Good game […]

Last call! Pairings go up in the morning!

Time for a Worlds Promo

Also, I sincerely hope that old rifts can be hea[…]