This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where I'm going to ask you a question about 1E... on Friday. Ok, it's not the most creatively named segment, but it works. At least you know what's going to happen. Here's this week's question:

Which characteristic (either existing or new) needs some love?

What do I mean by characteristic? Some might call them traits or keywords, but they're the little lore references that get picked up by other cards. Gender such as male, female, species such as Human, Cardassian, ranks such as admiral, general, and more are all characteristics.

For this week's question, I want to know what characteristic you want to see given some more love. Your choice can either an existing one that may or may not be used in game, or a brand new one. Existing options might be thieves, or something that's unused like "friend of..." New options can be anything, like the new "23rd century" trait added in The Cage.

So what do you think? Which characteristic (either existing or new) needs some love?

Have a great weekend!

-crp

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think somebody suggested that 'pilot' might need some love, but in the friendly discussion that followed, I believe the consensus was that [SD] Navigation (x2) did that trick already.

Let's see, we've recently had talks about 'teacher' decks as well; and there's been at least one [Fed] / [Kli] 'cook' deck ( [1E-DS9] ; or at least it had a Nor)...

Just my first thoughts, here; I'm not sure yet which characteristic I'd like to see emphasized.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Looking through the concordance, it looks like the most common word (ignoring stuff like "he", "she", "the") that we don't already care about is...

"typical"

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think everyone will agree with this one. When you click on personnel species. Nausicaan is not a option. There is a ❖ Nausicaan and unqiue Nausicaan in the game. Since other species have the same. I think Nausicaans should have a box too.

Orions could use some love. There almost a complete afflication throughout all of them. It would be nice to see orion syndicate become the next afflication. They have just as many personnel as villdians. They have 1 ship, 2 different freeplay engines. You could do 3 if you wanted to put it 3 of them. They have a dilemma. I would love to see them get more stuff to help finish them off.

Pakled would be cool too. I'm sorry there mission is the worst mission in the game. 15pts and discard a equipment. Why would anyone play that mission.
Last edited by Discovery suxs on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
More love for dabo girls. Maybe get some free latinum downloads or free reports somewhere that isn't Quarks Bar. (No Nors please)

Nurse is another one that comes to mind. Some sort of free equipment downloads or skill booster? Like "nurse hand me that tricorder".

Maybe non-Fed DS9 related?

For a new one "mercenary" has been used a little. "reseracher" has been given to 2 Vidiians and people like them haha.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:More love for dabo girls. Maybe get some free latinum downloads or free reports somewhere that isn't Quarks Bar. (No Nors please)

Nurse is another one that comes to mind. Some sort of free equipment downloads or skill booster? Like "nurse hand me that tricorder".

Maybe non-Fed DS9 related?

For a new one "mercenary" has been used a little. "reseracher" has been given to 2 Vidiians and people like them haha.
Side note one of the best universial personnel in the game is a nurse.

Selot

He can report for free too in the right deck because he names the intendent in lore. He is my top pick because he can be in any deck.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Se7enofMine wrote:Im down with the 'pilot' idea.

Or cantankerous :p
If you are going to pick one skill personnel in the game. I say make barbering actually do something in the game. Besides one card that requires 2 other cards just to do one combo. I still to this day think in for a trim should require mot the barber.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote:I will nominate "Glinn".
This cardassian Rank is in the Lore of 9 cards and still unused.

I can see that for sure.

What about Subcommander too.

Side note does anyone find strange t'pol is not Subcommander in her lore. She was called that alot in enterprise.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
"typical" = ❖ . Right?

I think we shouldn't confuse "skills ( [SD] )" with "characteristics".

"Cook" has no corresponding skill -- hence, it's a characteristic with its own, specific, use.

"pilot" already has Navigation.
"nurse" already has MEDICAL.
"Subcommander" (a fairly standard rank) already has, e.g., OFFICER or [Cmd] .

Arguably -- and there goes my logic -- "Glinn" is an officer, too; but very unknown to us hu-mons. And somehow, within the current content of the game (also: Gull, Legate), it feels natural to develop that further (actually it has already some uses, correct?).

Glinn might, eventually, not be my favourite; but it's at the top of my list of what I see discussed now.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote:Pilot

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38539&view=previous

:shifty:
... which is what I said/meant above:
SudenKapala wrote:I think somebody Takket suggested that 'pilot' might need some love, but in the friendly discussion that followed, I believe the consensus was that [SD] Navigation (x2) did that trick already.
Perhaps Timo, in that topic, also has a point. That may be interesting to you, Mr Chair!
I'm not sure I agree with Timo there, but he makes a compelling case.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Personally my thought would fall on familial bonds. We see so many things like "Mother of Ba'el" or "Daughter of Samantha" or "Father of Elim Garak" and yet they offer nothing to game play value. Those would mostly be verb cards but there is room for personnel like a Romulan affiliated Ba'el or a Romulan affiliated Tasha Yar Alternate. It could include Kyle Riker who as I recall as a concept but no place to fit in yet. We could see some DQ cards like Linnis Paris, daughter of Kes and Tom from that alternate future, same with Andrew Kim.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]