This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. My favorite holiday - Halloween - is near, and it's time to get a little spooky.

Here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?
Two years ago, I had the fortune to work on a Halloween-themed expansion for Second Edition, Dead Stop. My design partner Jeremy Benedict (flrazor) and I spent a lot of time making lots of spooky and thematic cards, but ultimately delivered a fun set of nine. We had people in costume and suspense-based dilemmas. I got to thinking about Halloween recently and thought it might be fun to do a similar type of product for First Edition. I figured I'd lean into the timing and ask what you think.

What do you want to see in a Halloween set?

Do you have a favorite scary story you want to see? Are there costumed characters that you need to see in 1E? Are there suspenseful moments that should be captured? Or maybe you care more about mechanics, and want to see an entire Hidden Agenda set? Any of these are valid options, or whatever your minds can come up with. Share your best ideas, be they creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, or ooky, I want to know.

Or maybe you think a Halloween-themed set is a terrible idea, which is fine too. Let us all know what you want to see in a Halloween set? Obviously, we won't be dropping a surprise expansion on you next week, but maybe next year you'll get a Treat!

Speaking of Halloween, are you or your little ones wearing costumes? Share them! Especially if they're Star Trek themed. But in any case, have a good weekend. I'll be around if there are any questions or issues.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love theme sets. For Halloween the obvious play is to do cards from Catspaw. But I think a lot of fun could be had from dressing up for the Holodeck. One objective could hold it all together; maybe even involving a tailor/tailorshop to get their costumes? (persona sway for a benefit?)

Plus there are numerous spooky or creepy moments sprinkled throughout all Trek. You could even go really macabre and make a set of all people who died on screen? Or go bloody with all the Klingon cutting, the green Romulan/Vulcan blood, shapeshifter screenings, etc... Bonus points if you can work Phaser Burns in too...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
when i think spooky star trek, i think of bluegills and tng borgs.

i dont think theres much more to do with bluegills, but tng borgs havent been touched as a faction. there creepy, monolithic, and soulless. modern borgs might be fast zombies, but tng borgs were vampires.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Candy - The bowls of worms in "Conspiracy"

Costumes - First thought goes to Jadzia's and Kira's from "The Way of the Warrior." But, the admiral uniforms from TNG will do.

Ghosts - The Brattain personnel under the sheets in "Night Terrors"

Haunted house - The Enterprise-D Empok Nor-ishly adrift in "Genesis"

Spooky prop - Remmick's remains still sitting on the throne from "Conspiracy"

Random fright - "Deanna?"
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
He answered in 1E Staff last week when Charlie asked the same question there.

We had some ideas, but I can't believe we didn't think of "Waking Moments"!

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't like Halloween. It is nice when it is some cute kids in costumes but the obsession with gore and death........... no thank you. I don't want to see any horrors in 1E. Not that Star Trek has that much gore to draw on anyway!

I'd much rather see you go the costume route if you want to do something, but personally I wouldn't do anything Halloween related.

Robin Hood and his merry men???

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Oh, but, Takket, the various frights aforementioned and such like them, would make great dilemma imagery. I'd support an 18 card dilemma set that would help revolutionize gameplay and get people to set aside the tired, old, cliche pastiche of dilemmas that need to be retired already (i.e. the higher the fewer, edo probe, cytherians, spatial rift, dead end, "god " etc.) OR hey, maybe even OTF needs a Modern MTG or Pioneer MTG style infusion where possibly all Holodeck Adventures expansion and before (except Personnel, Equipment, Ship, Mission and [BO] Objective) cards are banned in OTF 2.0, perhaps?!

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
karonofborg13 wrote:Oh, but, Takket, the various frights aforementioned and such like them, would make great dilemma imagery. I'd support an 18 card dilemma set that would help revolutionize gameplay and get people to set aside the tired, old, cliche pastiche of dilemmas that need to be retired already (i.e. the higher the fewer, edo probe, cytherians, spatial rift, dead end, "god " etc.) OR hey, maybe even OTF needs a Modern MTG or Pioneer MTG style infusion where possibly all Holodeck Adventures expansion and before (except Personnel, Equipment, Ship, Mission and [BO] Objective) cards are banned in OTF 2.0, perhaps?!
Go back to revised/ xlist where we ban entire expansions? No thanks.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
karonofborg13 wrote:Oh, but, Takket, the various frights aforementioned and such like them, would make great dilemma imagery. I'd support an 18 card dilemma set that would help revolutionize gameplay and get people to set aside the tired, old, cliche pastiche of dilemmas that need to be retired already (i.e. the higher the fewer, edo probe, cytherians, spatial rift, dead end, "god " etc.) OR hey, maybe even OTF needs a Modern MTG or Pioneer MTG style infusion where possibly all Holodeck Adventures expansion and before (except Personnel, Equipment, Ship, Mission and [BO] Objective) cards are banned in OTF 2.0, perhaps?!
I agree that fear/horror would be a great theme for dilemmas.

I have heard a lot of feedback that recent sets have put out great new dilemmas and dilemma strategy options. Do you still feel people are using the same old same old?

-crp
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]