This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. Today is a question about logistics, but if you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

We've talked about a lot of the aspects of cards over the past few months during these Q&As, but today I want to focus on the art. As important as the game text, flavor text, and story of these cards are, it's the image, the art, that ties it all together.

What is your favorite 1E card image?

Maybe your favorite card image is a hero shot of your favorite character. For me, that's probably Comm Officer Sato - a lot of that card is conveyed in that image. Or maybe it's a pivotal moment of your favorite story - something like Klingon Death Yell? Maybe you have a favorite ship - mine is the Starship Enterprise. Or maybe you love it when the art explodes out of the frame, like Where No Man Has Gone Before.

And I also want to take this opportunity to shout out Johnny Holeva (jjh) and his fantastic team of artists. I think card art in the CC era exceeds the best work of the Decipher era. My absolute favorite moment of doing card design is getting the first proof of cards with images. My jaw's hit the floor so many times over the years. But this isn't about me, it's about you: What is your favorite card image?

Have a great weekend, folks.

-crp
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I could list favorite images from every 1E expansion.

But if I had to pick just one… (impossible!?!)

Premiere Data

If memory serves, this is Data after he has lost Lal and has returned to his post. No emotion, but heart breaking. Quintessential Data, masterfully performed by Brent Spiner. An iconic TNG character and moment captured by a single image, used on a powerhouse card.

Perfection? Maybe.

That's my answer for today.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
When Reflections came out, there was one particular foil that always jumped off the page (or out of the pack)

Investigate Rumors.

The image of the foil doesn't do it justice, the card itself is absolutely beautiful.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
jjh wrote:I could list favorite images from every 1E expansion.

But if I had to pick just one… (impossible!?!)

Premiere Data

If memory serves, this is Data after he has lost Lal and has returned to his post. No emotion, but heart breaking. Quintessential Data, masterfully performed by Brent Spiner. An iconic TNG character and moment captured by a single image, used on a powerhouse card.

Perfection? Maybe.

That's my answer for today.
This was going to be my vote too. It might be different for "Which image is your favorite without knowing the context?" and definitely for "Which image is funniest?", but Spiner did a great job here with the "Data supposedly can't be bothered by this, but he's bothered by this" dichotomy.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm not sure which Virtual-era mission, but it's definitely one of the Virtual-era missions. Possibly Medical Conference, although I couldn't swear to it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
This is the type of thread I'll think back to months later when coming across yet another awesome card image. So to surprise future me who's no doubt expecting a mission or a ship, for now I'll go with Impassable Door. Partly because it suggests to me a snowy courtyard beyond the force field and a Myst adventure in the making--I want to get past and explore! Partly because as far as Dilemmas go the image gets the point across at a glance. And I see it so rarely that maybe it just hasn't gotten old.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It took me a while to get my act together on this one.
(You ask tough questions, but ones that are worth thinking -- and reading others' answers -- about. :thumbsup: )
MidnightLich wrote:Maybe your favorite card image is a hero shot of your favorite character --
I love the aforementioned shot of one of my heroes,
Data; and while the Premiere Barclay and Ro are too difficult to really discern in their cards (and thus don't like them as cards), I do appreciate their characters' portrayal in those cards.
I really can't choose, but for now, I'll go with The Borg Barclay. From that wonderful photo, one can glean he came a long way, but still is an oddity in the Trek society, who is both at odds with himself... as well as, sort of, has accepted that predicament. A flawed, interesting, very human and humane, and benevolent character who I love to see in every episode he's in.
Runners-up are Collins and Saavik -- whose stories, characters and looks I've always appreciated. (A Robin Curtis persona of Saavik would still be much appreciated, as said!! 8) :wink: :thumbsup: )
MidnightLich wrote:Or maybe it's a pivotal moment of your favorite story --
Definitely Phoenix. (Awesome alternate art, too! :thumbsup: )
Elsewhere explained -- but love the film, and love the shot of that doomsday-missile-turned-chariot-to-peaceful-future, spreading its nacelles.
MidnightLich wrote:Maybe you have a favorite ship --
I love K\'Ratak, although not sharp, for its atmosphere. For a long time, U.S.S. Defiant was my fave boat. But the image is too slick (since it comes from a high-res promo shot) for STCCG. So I guess I favour Sao Paulo now -- it also captures the meanness of the Defiant's design (the 'jaws') better.
But a good runner-up is Trullux; I like the [Fer] colours, and the star and energy beams complement the ship's colours and composition very well.
MidnightLich wrote:Or maybe you love it when the art explodes out of the frame --
No! :P Not my personal cup of tea, at all. :wink: Guinan was funny and OK (and perhaps Locutus), as a gimmicky -- and conceptually sound -- exception. The 2 Fajo boats were interesting, too.
Borderless ships, I can get behind esthetically (but would not use in-play); they're beautifully artistic, in a way.
And there may be other nice examples of outside-of-frame art, in the mean time; but overall, I'm decidedly not a fan.
MidnightLich wrote:And I also want to take this opportunity to shout out Johnny Holeva (jjh) and his fantastic team of artists.
Yes! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I really dug Constellation and thanked you for it; but here goes, again.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I vividly remember watching DS9 and wondering when oh when were they going to get the Ferengi into the war? The D'Kora class cruiser is such a beautifully weird ship, and I would have been happy if they would have at least thrown one into one of the big joint fleet shots. So, perhaps you can imagine how satisfying it was to have the chance to work on this image for the Ferengi Freighter.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Indeed strange, that the Ferengi had seemingly sold all of their D'Koras everywhere (and to whom?) prior to the Dominion threat. All they had left for all of DS9 were shuttles! :?
Great that you showed them as still having a big boat lying around. :thumbsup: Nice montage!
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]