By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Say a TNG Borg player used Consume: Technology on Investigate Sighting. Will their [SCN] drones get Empathy x3, Treachery, and Exobiology at once- or will they get only their choice of Empathy x3 or Treachery + Exobiology?

Not sure how that would work for missions with alternate requirements. Do they get all the skills listed, or only one 'set' of them? The mission is Empathy x3 OR Treachery + Exobiology (plus some irrelevant cunning requirement).

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Since on the [Obj] , no mention is made whatsoever of the "OR" (nor of any choice), and since 'requirements' are (I think) actually the individual elements listed on the mission -- regardless of "and" or "OR" operators -- I'd say you get all of them. (I hadn't even considered the alternative.)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Yeah if it's a skill in the requirements box and you complete a Consume objective there, you get it.
:thumbsup:

This really threw me the first time I used it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:Logic is irrelevant. :borg:
I do feel there's some Trek sense and logic behind that, though. They scoop up all there is to see, hear and do at the place; and learn all there is to know from it.
Now, if you could previously solve with, say, MEDICAL or Empathy, there were reasons present for both those requirements. After the collective has fully researched all that, they've come across all the anglers on how to solve the original mission every which way. Thus, they now understand how analyzing facial expressions, brain waves and pheromones (their version of Empathy, from here on) can help them in future endeavours. Same for MED.

Alright, it's a bit abstract and far fetched, but in-game I can certainly dig it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:
Armus wrote:Logic is irrelevant. :borg:
I do feel there's some Trek sense and logic behind that, though. They scoop up all there is to see, hear and do at the place; and learn all there is to know from it.
Now, if you could previously solve with, say, MEDICAL or Empathy, there were reasons present for both those requirements. After the collective has fully researched all that, they've come across all the anglers on how to solve the original mission every which way. Thus, they now understand how analyzing facial expressions, brain waves and pheromones (their version of Empathy, from here on) can help them in future endeavours. Same for MED.

Alright, it's a bit abstract and far fetched, but in-game I can certainly dig it.
Perhaps I should clarify: logical operands are irrelevant. :borg:
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: I do feel there's some Trek sense and logic behind that, though. They scoop up all there is to see, hear and do at the place; and learn all there is to know from it.
On the other hand, mission requires are usually what is *missing* - if Coridan had the relevant skills, they wouldn't need you to come Prevent Rebellion. :)

So, I think it's safe to handwave this as something that's necessary for gameplay, not flavor. (Which is true of a lot of things Borg - think of how many dilemmas involve "this group of beings is interfering" and thus should result in more drones. )

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
... yes, you have a point, too. Of course. :wink: :thumbsup: It's just that, in-game, I can accept it in the way I explained... a bit. :wink: I hoped to help others feel better about it, too.
(I personally love it when I perceive a plot hole or inconsistency in something, and someone points out how it COULD actually work like that. Repairing the entertainment value of something I like is far paramount to maintaining my ego.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote:AKA "Bolian logic is irrelevant"? :lol:
Mot, Chell, Hars Adslo, and Alcar Dovan are all crying right now.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]