This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

7 FEB 2020 What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020 Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020 What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Happy Valentine's Day! Even though today's holiday is typically romance-themed, don't forget to celebrate all the other types of love in your life, too. And don't forget to check out the new card released today, Mr. and Mrs. Troi. Incidentally, today is the 25th edition of the Friday question! But rather than talk about romance or silver anniversaries, I thought today I'd ask about broken links.

Which "broken link" should be fixed first?

If you haven't heard the term before, the basic definition of "broken link" is something in the game that has been referenced but does not yet exist. Typically, this takes the form of a card title, either in another card's gametext or on a special download, that doesn't yet exist. A recent example is Risk Is Our Business from The Cage. This incident lists the card "Corbomite Device" in its game text, but you won't find that card in the game. That's a broken link. A much older example is Dukat from Things Past, who special downloads Kosst Amjoan, which still doesn't exist over a decade later.

There are also more subtle broken links. For example, when the card Antaak was released in Straight and Steady, he had a special download of "Any Targ." At the time he was printed, there was only one Targ in the game. While his download worked, it was technically a broken link because it referred to a group of cards that only had one member. Fortunately, this broken link was mended with Cold Front with the introduction of Boshar[/card]1.

Broken links are a divisive concept in the game, with some people and designers liking them and the teases they provide. Meanwhile, many staff and players hate them because they leave the game incomplete. Decipher famously "ended" their run of First Edition with [url=https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?id=127]All Good Things[/url], an expansion designed to close all of the broken links in their game.

With that history, hopefully you all understand what I'm asking when I ask which "broken link" to you want to see fixed first? We won't be leaving them unfixed forever, but your answers will help us figure out which ones you all want to see fixed first. I don't mind if you want to list honorable mentions, but please indicate which one broken link is most important to you to see fixed.

Thanks for reading, everyone. I hope you have a fantastic weekend.

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I Love You from Miramanee which I assume is coming later in the block, so how about Zefram Cochrane's Shotgun from Dr. Cochrane. I just think that is going to be a fun card. I just don't know if it will be a weapon or an alcoholic beverage.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
sexecutioner wrote:Kosst Amojen

I have quite possibly the most offensive deck name lined up for this....
Kosst my Amojen?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Here is JRCH's list of broken links: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32055

Personally, my priority are the Section 1 broken links -- the missing special downloads. The rest are mostly future-proofing, with a little hole here or there, but the missing special downloads really affect the power level of the cards that have them.

<player hat>
I want Kosst Amojan right now, because it's been a decade.
</player hat>

<testing hat>
If they did Kosst Amojan right now, they'd do it as a standalone, without consideration of how the rest of the pah-wraith cards will work. It's risky. They could get it wrong, but, even if they get it right, they may lock the pah-wraith cycle into a mechanic that won't end up making sense when the rest of the cycle comes along. Same basic problem as Shran, who keeps getting deferred until Design figures out what to do with Andorians in general -- smart move, IMO. Go with something easy, like Lirpa.
</testing hat>

<design hat>
Lirpa? Seriously? I personally argued that Lirpa should be cut from The Cage because it had morphed into one of the most boring cards we'd ever seen, and because not a single person on the team had any better ideas -- you included, Test-Mode James. You don't want Lirpa; you just want to fill a hole to satisfy your OCD about broken links, and that's bad design. Ditto Reman Disruptor Rifle.
</design hat>

<player hat>
Well, how about Zefram Cochrane's Shotgun, then? That's a hand weapon that's probably not too hard and I'll bet it's a little more interesting than--hey now.
</player hat>

<design + testing hat>
*both are doubled over in laughter*
</design + testing hat>

<player hat>
GUYS!
</player hat>

<design hat>
*catching breath* Okay, okay. Phew. Wow. Okay. I'm back. Wow. "Zefram's Shotty, not too hard." That was a good one, man. How about we try picking by process of elimination instead?
</design hat>

<player hat>
You created three broken links in your last set, right? Corbomite Maneuver, I Love You, and Legal Proceedings (on Commodore Stone)? Presumably you're not a terrible designer and you know something about these links and they aren't terrible. How about one of them?
</player hat>

<design hat>
You presume much, but thank you. None are great options for this, though.

Corbomite was added because Playtesting really wanted OS Fed to have more protection from battle, and Design was reluctant to give it to them. So the option was added to give them a battle booster in the future. I think we can all agree the last think the game needs right now is another boost for OS Fed.

I Love You's in an interesting place but Project [REDACTED] deserves to have it.

Legal Proceeding's basically a fine card, but, I dunno, I feel like I want something more than a fairly direct 2EBC conversion if we go that route. Plus it's part of a trope cycle (four-mission wins) that got blown away, and I'm not sure it makes sense until four-mission wins cycle around again. That or it needs to change, and then we no longer have the advantage of simplicity.

The 2EBC conversion issue applies to Team of Ambassadors as well. Just quietly drop it into a set with space some time -- maybe after a late cut -- but I'm in no rush to see it.

How about Holoprogram: Make-Out Point?
</design hat>

<testing hat>
I haven't seen it, but it's going to be another f**king draw engine, isn't it? You KNOW how I feel about those, Design.
</testing hat>

<design hat>
I mean, not necessarily, we could do something cool with Let Me Help and...
</design hat>

<testing hat>
Then it's a [REDACTED] booster. I know your lame tricks, you old b*stard.
</testing hat>

<player hat>
Dude, calm down. We're all here 'cause we love the game.
</player hat>

<testing hat>
Fine. You know what? Even if it's not a [REDACTED] booster, it's still a Delta Blue booster. Has to be, right? Dr. Pel makes it so. DQ Feds are already good, they've got [REDACTED] coming soon probably, and the last thing Delta needs right now is for Feds to get another booster in relative power over the Kazon and the Vids. At least wait until after Project Viking.
</testing hat>

<design hat>
Okay, okay. Debatable but whatever. We've crossed off everybody but Ambassador Gral, Gagh, Group of Individuals, and IDIC Medallion.
</design hat>

<player hat>
Honestly? I don't want a personnel for this. Let's get something exciting.
</player hat>

<testing hat>
And I'd like a longer break before going back to Vulcans.
</testing hat>

<design hat>
Okay, that's Gral and IDIC gone. Which leaves... Gagh and Group of Indies, then.

*checks the cut file*

Huh.
</design hat>

<player hat>
Is that a bad "huh"?
</player hat>

<testing hat>
It's always a bad "huh".
</testing hat>

<design hat>
No no no... it's an interesting "huh". There's some... neat space to explore on these. I'd be chill with either of them.
</design hat>

<rules hat>
*clears throat*

I think you might benefit waiting on Gagh for a bit. There may or may not be something in the pipeline that may or may not make it a little easier to design a really strong Gagh card with rich Klingon flavor. Possibly. I was never here.
</rule hat>

<player hat>
Well, that's cryptic.
</player hat>

<testing hat>
And unsettling.
</testing hat>

<design hat>
You think everything's unsettling, Testing-Mode James. You're a sad, angry man.
</design hat>

<player hat>
Well, look, I'd actually be really excited by a new card for the [1E-TNG] [NA] Borg. It's been years since they were touched, they're a neat faction, and I'd be thrilled to find out what Design has in mind for this one. I have to admit I have no idea what "Group of Individuals" might be or what it could do.
</player hat>

<design hat>
Hey, neither do-- I mean, uh, yes, I think there's some neat space to explore here.

Plus, Group of Individuals is one of our very oldest outstanding broken links. (So is Gagh, for that matter.) Frankly, any broken links left open after five years starts to become an embarrassment, at least to me.
</design hat>

<testing hat>
Yeah, alright. NA TNG Borg haven't been a problem lately. I'm in. But I swear if you try to give them Cafe draws...
</testing hat>

<design hat>
Then we're agreed! Group of Individuals it is!
</design hat>

<player hat>
Hooorayyyy!
</player hat>
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:<testing hat>
Yeah, alright. NA TNG Borg haven't been a problem lately. I'm in. But I swear if you try to give them Cafe draws...
</testing hat>
Pansexual polyamorous [TNG] [NA] Borg it is!

-crp
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:<testing hat>
</testing hat>
Pansexual polyamorous [TNG] [NA] Borg it is!

-crp
Niall's kinda "group of individuals"! :P
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:I think that's a new record! He's only been the Rules guy for ... less than 3 weeks, and it's already completely broken him. Who wins the betting pool on this one?
Naw, this is just the post-regeneration loopiness settling down. All Rules Masters are like that at the beginning. All fresh and keen and full of life... in the beginning, at least...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
AllenGould wrote:
Maelwys wrote:I think that's a new record! He's only been the Rules guy for ... less than 3 weeks, and it's already completely broken him. Who wins the betting pool on this one?
Naw, this is just the post-regeneration loopiness settling down. All Rules Masters are like that at the beginning. All fresh and keen and full of life... in the beginning, at least...
Allen would know!

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
True, but I don't remember you talking to yourselves in multi-page long rants. At least, not in public view...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I was waiting for Sybil to weigh in....

I'll +1 Group of Individuals. The group of Individuals in James's head are quite persuasive... :wink:
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
True, but I don't remember you talking to yourselves in multi-page long rants. At least, not in public view...
I was more of a monologue type than a Socratic dialog type. (I presume Jon must have been a Batman "inner dialogue" type.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Kosst Amjoan was my answer as soon as I saw the title of the thread.

The game is 25+ years old and virtually nothing has ever been done with The Prophets or their "war" with the Pah Wraiths which was a central theme of the entire 7th season.

They got the time location, and a dilemma here or there, but that's about it with most of the later DS9 seasons' cards focusing on the Dominion war.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]