By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi guys,

when I have seeded a card that allows me to do something in place of a card draw - can I convert one of my draws at the start of the game to do that?

I find nothing in the Glossary that would prevent me from doing so, but I thought I'd better ask :D.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote:Hi guys,

when I have seeded a card that allows me to do something in place of a card draw - can I convert one of my draws at the start of the game to do that?

I find nothing in the Glossary that would prevent me from doing so, but I thought I'd better ask :D.
This is something I had never considered doing before. I suspect the intent is that you're not supposed to be able to replace the draws which form your opening hand. Here is the closest thing I could find as evidence to support that:
Rulebook wrote:Both players shuffle their draw decks and place them face-down on the table, then draw seven concealed cards to form a starting hand. The starting player takes the first turn. Then players take alternating turns until one of them wins.

Each turn consists of a series of actions taken by the player. Actions may be permitted — or required — by the rules or by the cards on the table.
This seems to say that you don't take actions until the starting player's first turn, which to me would include replacing a card draw with a download. That would be my take on it.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Just as a general heads-up to the world, the Rules Committee will be discussing this (and how best to clarify it) next month.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Just as a general heads-up to the world, the Rules Committee will be discussing this (and how best to clarify it) next month.
Short answer is still no though, right?
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:Just as a general heads-up to the world, the Rules Committee will be discussing this (and how best to clarify it) next month.
Short answer is still no though, right?
"Still" no? Has it been ruled on before? Old rulings are always useful, especially when the Rulebook and Glossary themselves are not exactly clear. If you've got one, please point me to it.

Anyway, I think the short answer to any pending rules question is: do whatever your T.D. says until the Rules Committee makes a decision. (But also make your T.D. read the thread, because smart people like Jeremy are worth listening to.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would have to say no.......... because turn 1 shouldn't start until each player has all 7 cards in hand. What if I'm still drawing my cards while you are downloading something, but I draw into something that is a valid response to what you downloaded?

I can't think of a situation where that could happen with a card that exists.... since most "in place of a card draw" downloads replace your "normal" card draw (and none of those cards could be used because this is not your "normal" card play). Also you couldn't use anything that allows a download "once per turn" since it isn't your turn yet.

Exceptions I've found are

Group therapy
Officer Exchange Program
Holoprogram: The Office of Dixon Hill
Tribunal of Q

but nothing you could possibly download with those has a valid response that I'm aware of...

Can I activate Computer crash in response to those downloads???
 -  
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote:when I have seeded a card that allows me to do something in place of a card draw - can I convert one of my draws at the start of the game to do that?.
No.

Details to follow on April 6th. This was an excellent question. Nice work.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Dukat wrote:when I have seeded a card that allows me to do something in place of a card draw - can I convert one of my draws at the start of the game to do that?.
No.

Please make a post here, by the time, as I do not always check the front page.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
No.

Rules Update, April
 -  
Community Contributor
scox wrote:
Rules Update, April
Thanks, scox, I forgot.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
It is now the last part of the seed phase meaning you must draw the 7 cards as normal and are not subject to "In place of a card draw effects". technically nothing has changed, they just made it so you can not replace those draws.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]