This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:I keep wanting to break in with SportsCenter like updates. But given that I haven't done that so far, I will refrain. But it's something to think about next year, if we do this again.

-crp
Next year, I suggest doing my very very stupid idea that I never got around to actually settig up:

Do the same thing but with 64 cards from the cut file. Winner gets put into a playtest file.

Everyone gets a good laugh at some of the crazier cards in there (The Jem'Hadarazad), the community gets a look "behind the curtain" at how messy and iterative the design process actually is, and Design gets to find out which cards maybe had a stronger constituency from the public than expected.

(Also: GEEZE it's a ton of work to run one of these. I didn't realize until I tried!)
Maybe this summer? I just want to play this game!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Polls are closing tonight! 6:00 PM Pacific, so you've got a little over 3 hours to vote.

Who will make it to the Elite 8?

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Let's see how the matches in the Sweet 16 shook out, shall we?

Sweet 16
Dr. McCoy (1) continued his domination over Vash (The Next Generation), 22-8.
James T. Kirk (6) upset Vekor (2) to win, 21-9.
Ezri (8) also upset Vina (4) in a 22-8 victory.
Mr. Scott (2) put an end to Sergey and Helena's (6) Cinderella story, 22-8.
Admiral Riker (5) ended Christopher Pike's (1), dethroning another #1 seed, 23-7.
Seven of Nine (15) proved that Captain Kirk (The Cage) offered no resistance in a 21-9 upset.
Mr. Spock (2) crushed Neelix (5), 25-5.
Chakotay (15) outmatched Lt. Sulu (The Cage) to win, 18-12.

That leaves us with our Elite 8:

Dr. McCoy (1) vs James T. Kirk (6)
Ezri (8) vs Mr. Scott (2)
Admiral Riker (5) vs Seven of Nine (15)
Mr. Spock (2) vs Chakotay (15)

Six (6) males, two (2) females.
Five (5) [Fed] personnel, two (2) [NA] personnel, and one (1) dual [Fed] / [NA] personnel.
Three (3) [OS] personnel, one (1) [MQ] personnel, two (2) [1E-DQ] personnel.

Can anyone stop Dr. McCoy?
Will any of the underdogs upset the favorites?

Your votes will decide! Polls open tomorrow!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
The polls are open!

Click here to vote!

Right now, there is only one blowout game; the other three are separated by a single vote! Every vote counts, so go cast yours now!

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JTK was under-seeded. This should be a final four or later type matchup.

If Spock over Chakotay isn't the blowout then I don't understand people.
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:JTK was under-seeded. This should be a final four or later type matchup.
I was given a list of the top 64 personnel based on number of decks (and number of copies) used. Last year, I seeded them all that way, so #1 faced #64, #2 faced #63, etc. That was a lot of work, so this year I did it more like the NCAA does - I split them into four divisions and seeded them that way. I did that by seeding #1-#4 as the four #1 seed, #5-8 as the #2 seeds, etc. So JTK being a #6 seed meant he was in the #21-24 range out of 64.

-crp

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Mr. Spock (2) vs Chakotay (15)
Somebody wants to get rid of Chakotay ...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
Armus wrote:JTK was under-seeded. This should be a final four or later type matchup.
I was given a list of the top 64 personnel based on number of decks (and number of copies) used. Last year, I seeded them all that way, so #1 faced #64, #2 faced #63, etc. That was a lot of work, so this year I did it more like the NCAA does - I split them into four divisions and seeded them that way. I did that by seeding #1-#4 as the four #1 seed, #5-8 as the #2 seeds, etc. So JTK being a #6 seed meant he was in the #21-24 range out of 64.

-crp
I'm not questioning your process, he just seems really good for a 6 seed.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe next year we can either toss out the top 5 or limit it to non-feds? I was thinking ships or dilemmas might be nice too...
 -  
Prophet
I like James H.'s idea. Although we might do it earlier if we need distractions this spring/summer.

I was also thinking about doing Artifacts, but I realized we don't have 64. But if we did Artifacts and potential future Artifacts, that might work.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:I like James H.'s idea. Although we might do it earlier if we need distractions this spring/summer.

I was also thinking about doing Artifacts, but I realized we don't have 64. But if we did Artifacts and potential future Artifacts, that might work.

-crp
32 with wildcards. Easy peasy. :D
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:If Spock over Chakotay isn't the blowout then I don't understand people.
Hey, Spock's just some skill-monkey. Chakotay's my draw engine. Woot woot Ancestral Vision.

I voted Chakotay without a second thought.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
BCSWowbagger wrote:Hey, Spock's just some skill-monkey. Chakotay's my draw engine. Woot woot Ancestral Vision.

I voted Chakotay without a second thought.
How illogical.
 -  
Prophet
{ESPN SportsCenter Jingle Plays}

At the end of the first half, Dr. McCoy (1) has opened up a 10-point lead on James T. Kirk (6). Kirk was neck and neck with McCoy through the first quarter, but now it looks like the Country Doctor might keep his streak alive.

Ezri (8) and Mr. Scott (2) are tied after half of regulation. Neither player has had more than a single point lead over the other.

Seven of Nine (15) leads Admiral Riker (5) by two, after keeping the game close through the entire first half. Will she be able to hang on and continue her streak of upsets?

Mr. Spock (1) has dominated Chakotay (15) so far, leading by twenty points at the midpoint. It would require a miracle (and more total votes than we've had in any week so far) for Voyager's XO to win this match.

-crp
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:Mr. Spock (1) has dominated Chakotay (15) so far, leading by twenty points at the midpoint. It would require a miracle (and more total votes than we've had in any week so far) for Voyager's XO to win this match.
It's too bad the voting public doesn't support this bracket's greatest Cinderella story.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.