This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Should we make Animated Series cards in 1E?

Yes
52%
No
48%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

The Neutral Zone is legal today! Have you had a chance to build any decks yet? I've been excitedly combing through [D] dilemmas to find cool and unusual ones to use with The Squire's Rules. It's my favorite card in the entire expansion and I'm dying to use it.

Last week, I asked you about Tribbles and Troubles, the card types. That got me thinking about Tribbles, the card game, which is currently the only game that includes cards from The Animated Series. And that got me thinking about if we could - and if we should - include those cards in First Edition. Naturally, that led to today's question.

Do you want to see cards from The Animated Series in First Edition?

The Animated Series aired on NBC in 1973 and 1974, airing a total of twenty-two (22) episodes of new Star Trek. All of the characters from the original series returned, except for Chekov, and all of the main characters were voiced by their original actors. This made the show the most expensive animated show at the time. It was made by Filmmation, who made lots of popular animated shows in that era. (You can read more about the show on its page on Memory Alpha.

The quality of the show was... inconsistent. Lots of very popular and famous authors wrote episodes, and some of them are very, very good. Yesteryear, featuring Spock and The Guardian of Forever, was written by D.C. Fontana and developed a lot of aspects of Vulcan culture. The show featured sequels to popular episodes like "The Trouble With Tribbles" and "Shore Leave." But there were some... not good episodes as well. But my favorite parts of the animated series was the fantastic aliens, locations, and creatures they could make as cartoons they couldn't as live action. I particularly liked the new bridge crew, M'Ress and Arex.

How would you feel about seeing Animated Series cards in First Edition? If you're against it, what reasons keep you from wanting to see this content in the game? Is it just aesthetics, or is there more than that? If you're in favor, what content do you want to see in the game? Vote in the poll above, and please reply and leave your thoughts.

To be clear: there are no plans to include anything like this in the game. But it would be nice to know how you feel about it, because maybe, if there's a desire, it could show up in the future.

Have a good weekend. If you're celebrating Passover or Easter, I hope that you're finding ways to do so safely and stay connected. Live long and prosper, my friends.

-crp
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Would love to see it. Obvious concern would be inflating TOS, but perhaps they could have another distinguishing characteristic that keeps them separated. Also: Don't need them anytime soon.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm out for TAS cards - I think visually they would clash too much with the 'photo' cards.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
And do we really need Yet Another Kirk and the TOS gang?

I'm not opposed to grabbing material from there that isn't in TOS already, but I'd hate for it to be an excuse to just do another bridge crew.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'll say yes - provisionally.

I think there's some good options for missions, dilemmas, and other verbs. I have more reservations about the nouns.

I don't think we should arbitrarily exclude any source material if there's good ideas to be had. At the same time, anything developed should be done because it will make the game better. I.e., don't just do it to do it.
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
AllenGould wrote:And do we really need Yet Another Kirk and the TOS gang?

I'm not opposed to grabbing material from there that isn't in TOS already, but I'd hate for it to be an excuse to just do another bridge crew.
110% this. No more TOS crew unless they fill gaps.
(An animated red shirt would be funny)

I wouldn't mind seeing a Vendorian like this... this charming fellow would be fun!
alien.png
alien.png (105.09 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Or a Sehlat! :)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
First off I voted Yes.

Secondly, I would really not like to see the bridge crew as I think they are already well represented, but I would love to see some crew cards unique to the show. I would be down for animated art missions or ships; for sure other types of cards too, like equipment, events, dilemmas, etc. Basically, I only want to see animated cards because that is the only format they can be made in. Perhaps even just small boutique set.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'd love Lt. Arex and Lt. M'Ress cards at the least.

And if I were designing, even if it makes little Trek sense, a special unloaded icon for any characters voiced by James Doohan or Majel Barrett with some card giving them a bonus.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Maybe we can get a legit glommer to eat more of the additional Tribbles that are no doubt going to get made... :shifty: :wink:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Were I king and could impose my will upon the game, I would probably not make new versions of the existing bridge crew. But a special set of AIs... that I would do.

-crp
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0