For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.
  • 100 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:I've had a report that [TNG] [Bor] with Assimilate Homeworld is devastating. Can we theory craft if there are any answers to this problem in the format?

-crp
How's it work? You need a matching counterpart first, and can't assimilate one. Just stock All The Counterparts and hope you draw the right one?

It'll cut off your AAH free report and your affiliated card plays, but Finest Crew can work around it by reporting straight to the Enterprise, Legitimate Leader to Gowron, Illegit to half the Duras family, Merc Raiders to the Mercenary Ship, Followers to the planet.

Ferengi Military Ops and Always A Chess Game are right screwed, though, fair enough.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:I've had a report that [TNG] [Bor] with Assimilate Homeworld is devastating. Can we theory craft if there are any answers to this problem in the format?

-crp
How's it work? You need a matching counterpart first, and can't assimilate one. Just stock All The Counterparts and hope you draw the right one?

It'll cut off your AAH free report and your affiliated card plays, but Finest Crew can work around it by reporting straight to the Enterprise, Legitimate Leader to Gowron, Illegit to half the Duras family, Merc Raiders to the Mercenary Ship, Followers to the planet.

Ferengi Military Ops and Always A Chess Game are right screwed, though, fair enough.
How is FMO screwed? Brunt of Borg ain't [1E-TNG] ...

:wink:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:

-crp

I don't have details, I just got a PM with feedback the deck was a problem. I thought I'd engage the braintrust - all of you are smarter than I am when it comes to this stuff - to see what the opinions were.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
FranklinKenter wrote:I've been theorizing, and I strongly believe the following cards should be banned:

Black Hole
Barclay's Transporter Phobia
Holoprogram: Cafe De Artists
Kevin Uxbridge
Loss of Orbital Stability
Klim Dochin
Static Warp Bubble
Telepathic Alien Kidnappers
Why Kevin? Most of the seriously problematic cards are events.

I agree that BTP has a large potential for abuse in this format since landable ships are hard to come by.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I could tell you the details but I feel oblieged to an oath I made. Just believe me, that Assimilate Homeworld has to go. Static Warp Bubble is easy. All should play the Traveler: Transcendence and the Kevins have to stay. As Brian said, there are lots of events like Atmospheric Ionization, Distortion Field and Scattering Device and others that have to be cancelled.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Right. I stand corrected. Great to see you back. I hope you will join this tournament.

Edit: There is Q2. I will test more and see if the format deranges into a Kevin VS Q2 game...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I disagree with those that have come to a definitive conclusion that X card needs to be taken out already. That's the point of this, let's test it and find out. Our sample size is too small to draw a definitive conclusion.

Armada, yes it may be powerful...
Kevin, yeah, it could be powerful...
Assimilate homeworld could be nasty...

Let's find out, shall we?

I've outlined the vulnerabilities of the first above. I've played exactly 1 test game in the format, so I admit I have very little to draw on, but I only played a few events, none of which were absolutely critical, and kevin wouldn't have bothered me particularly much -- I did stock multiples of the ones I cared about, so I could replace them and a Q2, but yeah... wasn't going to be decisive with my deck.

And as for assimilate homeworld... well, unless you're planning on doing assimilate counterpart first (except oops, that's FC), I hope for your sake you don't draw someone playing decks as we did for your Rounds 1 and 2... cause uh... Hope you're not banking on shutting someone out by knocking out Romulus/Kronos/Earth, since seeing [Fer] & [Car] might really ruin your day, if so. :D
Last edited by princedetenebres on Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 -  
Prophet
princedetenebres wrote:I disagree with those that have come to a definitive conclusion that X card needs to be taken out already. That's the point of this, let's test it and find out. Our sample size is too small to draw a definitive conclusion.
I'm not planning on making any changes to the card pool aside from a catastrophic circumstance, so I agree with this. But I also don't see any harm in theory crafting the discussions about cards ahead of time, which is why I brought it up - and why I'm glad to see others bring it up.

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
princedetenebres wrote:I disagree with those that have come to a definitive conclusion that X card needs to be taken out already. That's the point of this, let's test it and find out. Our sample size is too small to draw a definitive conclusion.
I'm not planning on making any changes to the card pool aside from a catastrophic circumstance, so I agree with this. But I also don't see any harm in theory crafting the discussions about cards ahead of time, which is why I brought it up - and why I'm glad to see others bring it up.

-crp

Absolutely, theorizing should be, if anything, encouraged.

It's just the difference between:

"Wow, X card looks like it might well be very powerful in this format."
and
"X card is OP and must be banned in this format."

The former should be encouraged, the latter, to my mind, is premature.

And I'd even go so far as to say quite possibly after the event as well. It's such a vast and diverse game, that even a tournament win can be attributed to finding a hole that might well have been plugged but just from luck of the draw didn't face opponents against whom it would've faced difficulty. That's honestly just part of the game.
 -  
Prophet
Okay, the first tournament is over and decks are posted. What do we think? What cards were surprising to you - either in a good or a bad way? Which ones did WORK? Which ones fell flat? And which ones can't stick around?

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
With two of the top 3 decks being Borg, and them being so... orthagonal to the rest of the pool... I'm leaning toward the notion of removing Borg from the pool. Although TNG Borg are a lot simpler than Regular Borg, they're still very weird, especially in a card pool targeted toward beginners.

I ignored so many dilemmas, interacted with others in weird ways ("yes, you stopped me with that last dilemma because I failed, but the dilemma is placed on mission so there's no dilemmas left and I have a staffed ship in orbit so I complete the objective anyway"), and really only slowed down when Cytherians came out before Q of Borg could (which happened three times). Fortunately, I had wormholes to deal with that.

On the other hand, TNG Borg don't have multiplexing, and they are absolutely limited to one ship. There's no recovery mechanism, not even Fed Flag: Recovered. Blow up the cube and they're done. So you can hammer them with damage dilemmas and/or bring in a fleet to take them out. None of these things actually happened to me, but they could have -- assuming anyone was willing to come all the way into my six-mission Neutral Zone to play with me.

On the other other hand, they need very few seed slots, which freed me to seed great gobs of dilemmas + three Shades of Grays + Dyson Sphere. I haven't compared their seed cards to other affiliations in this pool, but I sure felt liberated.

So, I'm of two minds about Borg.

Other stuff: one thing the pool could certainly use is a greater variety of dilemmas. Not BETTER dilemmas so much -- these decks aren't capable of passing the popular dilemmas today, and I don't want to see them anyway -- just more of them. Like, a nice copy of Isolinear Puzzle in this pool would be sweet, especially as a chance to run Drunk Shimoda.

Next time I want to run Mercenary Raiders.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]