This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

3 JULY 2020: What would be a good name for a Klingon?
26 JUNE 2020: Which card story needs a "do over"?
19 JUNE 2020: Which card do you most want to see added?
12 JUNE 2020: Why do you play First Edition?
5 JUNE 2020: What is 1E's biggest barrier to entry?
29 MAY 2020: What do you think of [SPOILER], a potential card from Project Londo?
22 MAY 2020: What is the worst affiliation in the game?
15 MAY 2020: Should bans be effective immediately?
8 MAY 2020: Which episode should inspire a boutique expansion?
1 MAY 2020: What was the best Star Trek gift you ever received?
24 APR 2020: How often do your [BB] dilemmas get scouted?
17 APR 2020: What do you want to know about how we work?
10 APR 2020: Should we make animated series cards?
3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Hello all! It was a big week for 1E news, with several errata, a swap on the ban list (one card coming off while a different one went on), and news about the Balance Team. But now it's Friday and it's time for another question.

Today's question comes from Maggie Geppert, the CC's Executive Officer, and tournament host eager for feedback about a future Cube draft. This particular cube, created by Kevin Jaeger (Hoss-Drone), has been played several times over the past few years. Maggie is eager to play it more in Chicago, and is looking for your help. But I'll let her tell it:
jadziadax8 wrote:Several years ago, Kevin Jaeger (Hoss-drone) put together a Cube of 1E cards for draft tournaments. The cube features Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Non-Aligned, Bajoran and Cardassian affiliations and mainly sticks to the Alpha Quadrant. Maggie Geppert (jadziadax8) and Brian Schaeflein (JeBuS) were intrigued by this format and decided to build their own cube with extra cards they had in their collections. Brian even wrote a program to create randomized, balanced packs for the draft. One of the features of this cube is that players are given random flavor packs at the start of the tournament to help shape their deck if they desire. Examples of the flavor packs are "It Sucks" (Black Hole, two ❖ Space and Examine Singularity) and "Cyber Jesus" (Continuing Mission, Followers of the One, Foster New Collective, Investigate Raid and all the personnel who go along with this.). Players who are interested in this format can check out a spreadsheet with all the packs in it here. Click on the tab called "Pack Cards" and scroll down to see the flavor packs. So this brings us to the Friday Question:
What flavor pack would you add to this Cube?

Thanks for reading, and have a good weekend.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
JeBuS wrote:I would have put together a cleaner spreadsheet or something if I knew it was going public. For now, I've hidden everything but the flavor packs, to make it easier to evaluate those.
Sorry, I should have asked first.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote:
JeBuS wrote:I would have put together a cleaner spreadsheet or something if I knew it was going public. For now, I've hidden everything but the flavor packs, to make it easier to evaluate those.
Sorry, I should have asked first.
No biggie. It just wasn't very user-friendly in the form I left it. Hiding the irrelevant portions makes it usable, I think.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
AllenGould wrote:How many players does that support?
12, if I remember correctly.
Ah, that explains the size then. :D
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote:
JeBuS wrote:
AllenGould wrote:How many players does that support?
12, if I remember correctly.
Ah, that explains the size then. :D
Yes, we were meant to be testing it for use at Worlds. 12 seemed like a feasible number.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Squire's Rules seems like a perfect fit here. With maybe a handful of solid S/P dilemmas otherwise not available in the cube.

Maybe an Occupation theme, with the [1E-AU] Bajoran/Cardassians from that time.

An even crazier idea may be to have draft specific cards, like "Your cards may mix regardless of affiliation. You must include every personnel and ship you drafted in your draw deck." or "When you draft this card secretly write down the name of a dilemma. Seeds on table, when your opponent encounters named dilemma, reveal this card to kill two of their personnel in the encountering crew or Away Team."

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
9of24 wrote:The Squire's Rules seems like a perfect fit here. With maybe a handful of solid S/P dilemmas otherwise not available in the cube.

Maybe an Occupation theme, with the [1E-AU] Bajoran/Cardassians from that time.

An even crazier idea may be to have draft specific cards, like "Your cards may mix regardless of affiliation. You must include every personnel and ship you drafted in your draw deck." or "When you draft this card secretly write down the name of a dilemma. Seeds on table, when your opponent encounters named dilemma, reveal this card to kill two of their personnel in the encountering crew or Away Team."

My current version of the cube already has squires rules as a new pack. It also has neutral zone themed pack. I was all ready for the SD regional...then covid.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Seems like a Delta Quadrant oriented cube format is a given. Federation, Non-Aligned, Kazon, Viidian, Hirogen, Borg could easily fit, and not just the affiliation but maybe one based on former Borg (a good reason to push Project Annika :wink: ) and maybe even Klingon would work. It'd be a counterpoint to the AQ one.

I could also see a Federation [Fed] show down. [1E-TNG], [DS9], [1E-DQ], (maybe having them be in the AQ for this format) [OS], [CF], and [MQ] (again in the AQ for the format). One could even include [EE] despite it being arguably just an extension of TNG and [SF] in this since they are basically pre-Fed.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BTW, folks, I had an ulterior motive for asking this question. I'm looking to build more decks involving [WC] and [RC] cards, but haven't had the time for research, so I was hoping folks would give me some good themes like a pack containing Scientific Diplomacy, Host Metaphasic Shielding Test, Metaphasic Shieldsand all the personnel who go with that.

So, whatcha got?
Slayer07 wrote:Seems like a Delta Quadrant oriented cube format is a given. Federation, Non-Aligned, Kazon, Viidian, Hirogen, Borg could easily fit, and not just the affiliation but maybe one based on former Borg (a good reason to push Project Annika :wink: ) and maybe even Klingon would work. It'd be a counterpoint to the AQ one.
This one is intriguing, but I think it might be a bit unbalanced toward Fed.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
Slayer07 wrote:Seems like a Delta Quadrant oriented cube format is a given. Federation, Non-Aligned, Kazon, Viidian, Hirogen, Borg could easily fit, and not just the affiliation but maybe one based on former Borg (a good reason to push Project Annika :wink: ) and maybe even Klingon would work. It'd be a counterpoint to the AQ one.
It's only unbalanced against Fed if you let the Fed player draft all of the sexy DA [1E-DQ] cards.

If the [Kaz] / [Vid] / [Hir] players aren't gobbling up Seven of Nine, B'Elanna Torres, Neelix, Kes, Chakotay and the like, they're drafting wrong.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:
It's only unbalanced against Fed if you let the Fed player draft all of the sexy DA [1E-DQ] cards.

If the [Kaz] / [Vid] / [Hir] players aren't gobbling up Seven of Nine, B'Elanna Torres, Neelix, Kes, Chakotay and the like, they're drafting wrong.
Let's not forget if a Hirogen player has Children of Light they can 'gobble' up The Doctor. And with TMW anyone can grab Paris or Janeway if they want.

First: Michael Burnham Last: Saru

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]

Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]