This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

17 JULY 2020: What makes a good expansion name?
10 JULY 2020: What would make good theme packs in a Cube draft?
3 JULY 2020: What would be a good name for a Klingon?
26 JUNE 2020: Which card story needs a "do over"?
19 JUNE 2020: Which card do you most want to see added?
12 JUNE 2020: Why do you play First Edition?
5 JUNE 2020: What is 1E's biggest barrier to entry?
29 MAY 2020: What do you think of [SPOILER], a potential card from Project Londo?
22 MAY 2020: What is the worst affiliation in the game?
15 MAY 2020: Should bans be effective immediately?
8 MAY 2020: Which episode should inspire a boutique expansion?
1 MAY 2020: What was the best Star Trek gift you ever received?
24 APR 2020: How often do your [BB] dilemmas get scouted?
17 APR 2020: What do you want to know about how we work?
10 APR 2020: Should we make animated series cards?
3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Happy Friday! There's been some news out of San Diego Comic Con @ Home about new Star Trek shows, which is always fun to read. I know the newer Trek shows are controversial, but I'm just glad there are people talking about Trek and making it, even if it's different from Trek of old. I'm not personally excited about Lower Decks, but I'm glad that people are excited about it!

Speaking of controversial things in Star Trek, today's question is all about the Xindi. These mutli-species baddies were the main antagonists of Enterprise's third season, and they've often been talked about as a potential new affiliation for First Edition. Do you want to see the Xindi introduced into 1E? If so, do you want them to be their own affiliation? Or should they just be [NA] characters?

To be clear, we are years away from this happening. Planning, designing, and testing the [Vul] affiliation took almost three years from start to finish, and no such work has been done for a possible Xindi affiliation. That means if we started today, it would be 2022 or 2023 before they made it to the game - so don't hold your breath. But I'm very curious to find out what you guys think about the idea of seeing the Xindi in 1E, in whatever form that might be.

Have a great weekend! And don't forget to check out the new Promo-a-Week project, where a new promo card gets released every Friday (save for during expansion releases). Today's is Medical Tricorder, and it looks pretty great!

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dear Brad No.

We already have a metric butt-ton of affiliations and factions that we can't properly support on a timely basis. Why would we add even more?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I recently did an Enterprise re-watch and while I was watching Season 3, I kept an eye out for different characters who could fill in a Xindi affiliation. Frankly, I didn't see enough personnel to make it worthwhile.

So, I guess my answer is no to a new affiliation. I'm cool with them being in the game some other way.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Yes.

Don’t forget, a lot of players are collectors, so they have that completist nature within them where they want everything from Trek represented in the game. Separate affiliation otherwise Non-Aligned gets even more overcrowded than it already is...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Yes, but not yet. Xindi are one of the most colorful groups in all of Trek. They have the potential to play and feel totally different from all other affiliations. But with very limited source material, we would have essentially one and only one chance to get them right.

Once we're better at doing affiliation flavor and regular support, we can face The Ultimate Challenge of doing Xindi. But I don't think we're there yet, and that's just as well -- we're all still a bit burnt out on major [22] stuff after last block, aren't we?

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Yes! I'd like to the Xindi and Andorians.

It would really round out the Enterprise-Era world and the Xindi, if done properly, would probably feel a little like the Dominion in the sense that you would be forced to mix all the races together to have a decent playdeck.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Season 3 is the worst season of Enterprise, but that's mostly pacing issues and recycled plots from other series being used.

The Xindi themselves are cool but I think there isnt enough material. NA with some support incidents probably works better, but I also agree we've had enough 22nd century stuff for now.

If anything, I'd rather do Andorians first.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Do you want to see the Xindi introduced into 1E?
Yes. I'd like to see Xindi as their own 22nd Century affiliation with a HEAVY emphasis on blowing up the Earth to win.

(As much grief as I usually give designers for ALT Victory Conditions, here I am asking for this. Crazy.)

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Yes, but not yet. Xindi are one of the most colorful groups in all of Trek. They have the potential to play and feel totally different from all other affiliations. But with very limited source material, we would have essentially one and only one chance to get them right.

Once we're better at doing affiliation flavor and regular support, we can face The Ultimate Challenge of doing Xindi. But I don't think we're there yet, and that's just as well -- we're all still a bit burnt out on major [22] stuff after last block, aren't we?
I second this. But let's get Team Tan all fixed first, for that didn't go over very well at first. Besides, you guys made a promise with Xindi Test Strike - as the self-appointed chronicler of broken links, that one needs to be filled someday.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
I would like to see the Xindi (as a fown affiliation).
But there comes a few questions into my mind:
* Were there enough Xindi seen in the Series to make them a full Affiliation? I can remember the leaders, a few primate workers an a few insectoid and reptilian leaders. For a full Affiliation we should be able to find good images for at least 20 characters, or we have the same troubles like with [Vid]. (A quick look at Memory Alpha gives me the number of 13 unique named personnel - a good start)
* Females? Depending on Memory Alpha: "Kiaphet Amman'sor was the only female of any Xindi species seen on screen. She, like all Xindi-Aquatics, was a computer-generated character." This could be a problem.
* Should the, lets say reptilian-Xindi Ships, be able to be staffed by XINDI or by reptilian-Xindi?
* Have we seen enough Facilities?
There is no Homeworld for the Xindi.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Lots of good answers above.

But my answer is leaning to "maybe not".

As a Game Designer I would say that the game's already overflowing with too many affiliations that just aren't different enough as well as impossible to balance against each other as is. So that would be a plain - NO!

As a Brand Manager I would want the game to have as many cool affiliations and hooks for anyone our there to get to play and collect this fantastic game, so that would be a cool - Yes!

As a Set Designer, I want to be a part of the design process as I know that I could be adding something different to the game with this set and affiliation. As it is utmost important that whatever new we insert to the game that it is not just a new colour on noun cards. So this would be - Maybe.

As a player and collector I just don't have the time to play one more affiliation or for that matter collect the cards (specially as they are only virtual now). Another affiliation makes me less likely to know what to play and to build a deck for a future tournament. So that would be a - No.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
No, I do not want to see Xindi. Ferengi need love. Vidiians need love and others. DS9 needs love.... Not another Enterprise affiliation. Enterprise got enough. DS9 is the far better show and shitty Enterprise gets love all the time :(
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Caretaker's Guest wrote:No, I do not want to see Xindi. Ferengi need love. Vidiians need love and others. DS9 needs love.... Not another Enterprise affiliation. Enterprise got enough. DS9 is the far better show and shitty Enterprise gets love all the time :(
[1E-DS9] love is coming...

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote:Season 3 is the worst season of Enterprise, but that's mostly pacing issues and recycled plots from other series being used.

The Xindi themselves are cool but I think there isnt enough material. NA with some support incidents probably works better, but I also agree we've had enough 22nd century stuff for now.

If anything, I'd rather do Andorians first.
Agreed - Andorians first!! :thumbsup:

jadziadax8 wrote:I recently did an Enterprise re-watch and while I was watching Season 3, I kept an eye out for different characters who could fill in a Xindi affiliation. Frankly, I didn't see enough personnel to make it worthwhile.

So, I guess my answer is no to a new affiliation. I'm cool with them being in the game some other way.
We had a chat about the whole "Andorian as a viable choice for an affiliation" issue back in May, and the subject of the Xindi came up there. Check out the link below for more details, but I believe there are enough Andorian and Xindi personnel to pull of affiliations.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41243

First: Tilly Last: Burnham

I (albeit a native English speaker) certainly read[…]

Temporal Benefactor questions

1) yes. 2) yes. 3) only the regular skills a[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Thanks for the good game :-)