This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which boutique expansion should we make first?

Suddenly Human
2%
Take Me Out to the Holosuite
18%
Soldiers of the Empire
49%
Year of Hell
32%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

24 JULY 2020: Do you want to see Xindi introduced to 1E?
17 JULY 2020: What makes a good expansion name?
10 JULY 2020: What would make good theme packs in a Cube draft?
3 JULY 2020: What would be a good name for a Klingon?
26 JUNE 2020: Which card story needs a "do over"?
19 JUNE 2020: Which card do you most want to see added?
12 JUNE 2020: Why do you play First Edition?
5 JUNE 2020: What is 1E's biggest barrier to entry?
29 MAY 2020: What do you think of [SPOILER], a potential card from Project Londo?
22 MAY 2020: What is the worst affiliation in the game?
15 MAY 2020: Should bans be effective immediately?
8 MAY 2020: Which episode should inspire a boutique expansion?
1 MAY 2020: What was the best Star Trek gift you ever received?
24 APR 2020: How often do your [BB] dilemmas get scouted?
17 APR 2020: What do you want to know about how we work?
10 APR 2020: Should we make animated series cards?
3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Happy Friday! Last week's question sure sparked a lot of interesting debate! I love reading how passionate you guys are with some of your ideas and your takes on the game. I hope you'll keep the discussion about Xindi ongoing, because it's been fascinating to read. And I hope that, in honor of the weekend that would be GenCon, you find some time to get some games in this weekend.

This week's question is actually a vote, because I'm going to let you make a decision about which boutique expansion we put into production next. If you recall, I asked for suggestions back in May, and we've had a lot of internal discussions since about what would make some great boutique expansions. With that in mind, I'm bringing you four (4) choices today and letting you vote. Whichever one gets the most votes I will start working on! In this case, you're literally deciding a future expansion - how cool is that?

Here are the four (4) options:
Suddenly Human: A [1E-TNG] themed boutique set based on the episode of the same name. This would introduce characters like Jono, Endar, the Tamarian ship, and cards based around the story of the episode.
Take Me Out to the Holosuite: A [1E-DS9] themed boutique set based on the episode of the same name. This would be a baseball themed expansion, and while it would feature a few characters in baseball uniforms, I expect the focus will be on playing baseball within a game of 1E.
Soldiers of the Empire: A [1E-DS9] [Kli] expansion, mostly centered around the episode of the same name. Think a focus on the Rotarran and doing Honorable things with potential new characters and new versions of Martok, Worf, and maybe Dax.
Year of Hell: An episode based around the Krenim and the temporal incursions in the episode of the same name. Will feature Krenim characters and be from their point of view, saving most of the Voyager point of view for a future expansion.
So there are your four (4) choices: which boutique expansion should we make first? Voting will be open for one week, and you can change your votes. That means you shouldn't just vote, but argue your case and try to convince others!

Have a great weekend! Play games if you can!

-crp
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Soldiers of the Empire - I feel like if any era of Klingons should be the primary ones battling, it is the DS9 era. Sure, we can do it with all of them, but it would be cool if the DS9-ers became the go-to for Klingon battle. You could also possibly create some synergy with Blood Oath, which got nerfed into obscurity.

Thanks for reading.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I voted Soldiers of the Empire because I think [1E-DS9] [Kli] is woefully underdeveloped.

But more generally, whichever you decide on...

LAY OFF THE FEDS

There's so much blue out there relative to anything else that the last thing we need is MORE of it.

I don't see how Take me out to the Holosuite could be anything but more blue so that holds approximately zero appeal. Even more so with the whole "baseball in 1e" concept. Yuck. :thumbsdown:

The Krenim and Suddenly Human options could be interesting, if the focus was actually on the Krenim or the Jono crew and not on the Fed crew dealing with them. I think a boutique setting could be a good place to explore [NA] subfactions, so I'm not necessarily opposed to these.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Soldiers of the Empire just barely gets my vote over Year of Hell. But that's because I want Year of Hell to be epic, and a boutique expansion just isn't going to make that happen. So, giving [1E-DS9] [Kli] a booster is the best option of the four, in my opinion.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: I don't see how Take me out to the Holosuite could be anything but more blue so that holds approximately zero appeal. Even more so with the whole "baseball in 1e" concept. Yuck. :thumbsdown:
What, we don't want podracing? ;)

But I'm pretty much in the same place - I see "Feds with NA", "Feds with podracing", "Klingons", and "Feds with NA".

Klingons aren't exactly hurting for representation in-game, but at least it's not Feds?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:None of these four boutiques feature a heavy [Fed] presence, and I'm not sure what I said to give that impression.
It's just deduction, really, that the baseball one, at best, will be [NA] which means it's gonna be able to help [Fed] . Suddenly Human, same deal.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:None of these four boutiques feature a heavy [Fed] presence, and I'm not sure what I said to give that impression.
It's just deduction, really, that the baseball one, at best, will be [NA] which means it's gonna be able to help [Fed] . Suddenly Human, same deal.
That was my thinking as well.

Suddenly Human is going to be a bunch of NAs, plus Grandma Admiral and the kid. Probably a Picard as well.

Holosuite is likely the Niners (who are largely Fed or dual-Fed), and if we add the Vulcans it's more Fed.

Year of Hell specifically calls out that it's not Voyager, but they'll be DQ [NA], which means they will go into Fed decks. ;)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Orbin wrote:While I'm quite happy to see [1E-DS9] [Kli] as an option on the poll, was any consideration made for a boutique around "Barge of the Dead" which would enhance the [1E-DQ] [Kli] faction?

- James M
I have about forty (40) ideas for boutique expansions, Barge of the Dead is one of them. I just couldn't put all of my ideas in one place.

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
MidnightLich wrote:
Orbin wrote:While I'm quite happy to see [1E-DS9] [Kli] as an option on the poll, was any consideration made for a boutique around "Barge of the Dead" which would enhance the [1E-DQ] [Kli] faction?

- James M
I have about forty (40) ideas for boutique expansions, Barge of the Dead is one of them. I just couldn't put all of my ideas in one place.

-crp
Do you have a hive mind, or are not all your ideas already in one place? :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote:Year of Hell, DQ all the way... also a relevant theme!
That's... actually the strongest argument I can think of for it.

Touché. :wink:

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]