This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I haven't done one of these in years. Let's hastily misjudge a brand-new expansion set!

Right when a new set is released, we say lots of things about them that turn out later to be hilariously wrong. This thread is a deliberate attempt to encourage as many of those first impressions as possible by playing a game that is all about hasty, ill-considered judgments.

The game is F@%k, Marry, Kill*. The candidates are all the cards in A Private Little War. (See our previous editions of FMK here and here.)

Of all the cards in A Private Little War, which one would you...

...f@%k? This is the flashy, sexy card that gets you incredibly excited even though you're not really sure it'll be good for you.

...marry? This is the card that doesn't get you super-excited, but it's the sturdy card in the set that you're going to depend on for years to come.

...kill? This is the card in the set whose existence most offends you. You do have to choose one, even if you are mild-mannered and generally unoffended like Allen Gould. Otherwise how are we going to get good, piping hot takes out of this exercise?

I'll do mine tomorrow.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
F: Flintlock Rifle - OTF-Legal Unstopping power that can be used multiple times per game?! Hellz Yeah!!

M: Ancient Citadel - Both functions look like they'd be really solid in an [OS] [Kli] deck. This is clearly a staple card.

K: Roberta Lincoln - Nothing wrong with the gameplay aspect of this card per se, but it jumped out at me as on of the very few times where I think that the Art Department missed the mark. That's a rather unflattering shot of Teri Garr and the fact that Art does such great work really across the board made this one miss all the more notable for me.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
F: Assignment: Earth. This card represents a unique episode, even by TOS standards. In my own head canon, Gary Seven is a Time Lord, complete with companions and his own version of the sonic screwdriver. But ultimately I'm probably better off just using existing [OS] personnel than using up a seed slot to add the icon to three specific personnel.

M: Technology Sharing Treaty. Oh yay. A treaty. But it's necessary for [OS] [Rom] / [OS] [Kli] decks, so I'll be using it quite a bit.

K: Beta XII-A Entity and Redjac. I'm not a huge fan of self-controlling dilemmas. It's the right way to represent these entities, but I'm likely not going to use them.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
F: Excalbian Lincoln. I have an enormous history crush on the Great Emancipator. I always keep a book of his major speeches and letters within arms' reach, right next to my Star Trek TNG Technical Manual.

M: New Civilizations. I've raved about this elsewhere. Four missions is tough but the benefits are substantial.

K: Apella. I actually have nothing against the card, it's the actual personnel: have you ever seen somebody with a more punchable face? I have not. (Kudos to Art for creating someone I am going to love killing with opponent's choice dilemmas!)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Way too early take:

F:. Klingon troop deployment. :shifty:

M: Beta XIIA entity. This is the dilemma of the set that later on people are gonna go "oh wow that is good."

K: Spock's Brain. On principle. It's an ok dilemma but its name.....
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 pm

M: Beta XIIA entity. This is the dilemma of the set that later on people are gonna go "oh wow that is good."
Another reason to look closely at smokebomb

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
F - Frontal Assault - I love the damage marker, targeting SECURITY only. Will come in useful with SECURITY walls

M - Excalbian Surak - Like Robert Spangler, I will marry him, then I will murder him for 3 draws, then dig him up and do it again. Honor x 2 and INTEGRITY 10 is very nice with No Way Out

K - Baroner - FFS GIVE ME A PERSONNEL WITH A KLINGON INFILTRATION ICON AND SECURITY!!! (I know he can seed for easy access, he could even seed direct to an opponents facility??? But I'd prefer the versatility of Defend Homeworld and stick him in the tent if opponent isn't playing Klingon...)

Great set though :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
F: The Great Teacher. This is what artifacts are supposed to be: fun, quirky, and powerful without being game breaking.

M: Assignment: Earth. I'm just so happy to have some kind of defense against Stop First Contact, even if it's not crazy powerful. If you're tired of getting curb stomped by Borg changing history, now you have an option.

K: Spock's Brain. The card is fine, I just never got to a point where I was happy with it.

-crp

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
K: New Civs: Nullifies tons of dilemmas like Triglyceride Poisoning and more. For that reason I like it (for myself), but also hate it (for my dilemma piles) potentially game breaking like any other cheat on dilemma.

M:the dual VIP guys: diplomatic conference is now a serious mission. its now easier to solve for both players if its on the table.

F:the great teacher: makes me want to re-try happy androids, because of their (fixed) skillholes.

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tourna[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]