This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Do you enjoy the Promo-a-Week project?

Yes, please do it again!
85%
Yes, but once is enough.
No votes
0%
Meh.
4%
No, but I might with some changes.
11%
No, this is just a waste of time.
No votes
0%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to today's First Edition Friday Question, where you get a chance to answer questions that will help shape the future of First Edition. If you'd like to catch up on previous entries, here's a list of all of my previous Friday Questions:

30 OCT 2020: Should I revive the weekly column?
23 OCT 2020: Do you want to see more reprints as set promos?
16 OCT 2020: What OS cards/stories did we miss?
9 OCT 2020: What makes you happy in First Edition?
27 SEPT 2020: What reasons do you use to re-engage older players?
18 SEPT 2020: What are you looking forward to in A Private Little War?
11 SEPT 2020: What old decks/themes do you want us to revisit?
4 SEP 2020: Should tactics continue to target sites on a Nor?
21 AUG 2020: Should you have to be in Ops to return fire on a Nor?
14 AUG 2020: How should we name the Excalbians?
7 AUG 2020: Which ship needs a new card?
31 JULY 2020: Which boutique expansion should we make first?
24 JULY 2020: Do you want to see Xindi introduced to 1E?
17 JULY 2020: What makes a good expansion name?
10 JULY 2020: What would make good theme packs in a Cube draft?
3 JULY 2020: What would be a good name for a Klingon?
26 JUNE 2020: Which card story needs a "do over"?
19 JUNE 2020: Which card do you most want to see added?
12 JUNE 2020: Why do you play First Edition?
5 JUNE 2020: What is 1E's biggest barrier to entry?
29 MAY 2020: What do you think of [SPOILER], a potential card from Project Londo?
22 MAY 2020: What is the worst affiliation in the game?
15 MAY 2020: Should bans be effective immediately?
8 MAY 2020: Which episode should inspire a boutique expansion?
1 MAY 2020: What was the best Star Trek gift you ever received?
24 APR 2020: How often do your [BB] dilemmas get scouted?
17 APR 2020: What do you want to know about how we work?
10 APR 2020: Should we make animated series cards?
3 APR 2020: Should we make more Tribbles/Troubles?
27 MAR 2020: Should we develop new [Q] cards?
20 MAR 2020: What regions should we focus on in the future?
13 MAR 2020: How would you feel about 1E adding extra "bits"?
6 MAR 2020: What are your favorite "almost good" S/P dilemmas?
28 FEB 2020: What are your favorite decks to play?
21 FEB 2020: Which Decipher expansion most deserves a sequel?
14 FEB 2020: Which "broken link" should be fixed first?
7 FEB 2020: What's your favorite episode of Star Trek?
31 JAN 2020: Which TOS main character needs a new card?
24 JAN 2020: What should qualify a card for the "watch list"?
17 JAN 2020: What card would you unban without changes?
10 JAN 2020: What single card would you ban to improve your game?
3 JAN 2020: What are you looking forward to in The Neutral Zone?
27 DEC 2019: How can we help you recruit new players?
20 DEC 2019: Where do you want the game to be in five years?
13 DEC 2019: Which concepts should 1E "import" from other games?
6 DEC 2019: Which couples should get a dual personnel card?
29 NOV 2019: Which old, unused 1E cards deserve some love?
22 NOV 2019: Which upcoming milestones need celebration?
15 NOV 2019: What's your favorite card image?
11 NOV 2019: What was your first 1E experience?
1 NOV 2019 What is your opinion of the "full page" policy?
25 OCT 2019: What do you want to see in a Halloween set?
18 OCT 2019: What is your favorite expansion?
11 OCT 2019: Which TNG main character needs a new card?
4 OCT 2019: Which Star Trek story needs more cards?
27 SEP 2019: How many points should [SPOILER] be worth?
20 SEP 2019: Which rules always confuse you?
13 SEP 2019: What do you think of [SPOILER]?
6 SEP 2019: Which card needs an alternate image (AI)?
30 AUG 2019: Which characteristic needs love?

Happy Friday folks! I feel like there's something important happening, that's been going on all week, at least for some of us... but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Oh well, let's talk about Star Trek instead! I'm really enjoying Season 3 of Discovery, and the stuff coming out of 2E's Apocalypse Rising (being spoiled now) is pretty cool.

Back in July, we announced the Promo-a-Week project. The goal of this project is two-fold: to have regular content on the site that drives traffic, and to provide nice new hi-res versions of cards. We're halfway through that batch now, and will be finished the Monday before Christmas (barring any scheduling hiccups). Now seems like a great time to see what you guys think of this program, and if you'd like to see it return next year.

Do you enjoy the Promo-a-Week project?

Have you been enjoying the weekly (except for expansion seasons) promos? Are the articles that come with them something you find value in? Would you like to see us do this again? If so, what would you like to us change about how we do it? If not, what about the program doesn't work for you?

Do you want to see new cards mixed in with the reprints? All new cards? Or stick with all reprints? How can we make this project more exciting and better for you, as we move forward?

Thank you for reading. I really enjoy these threads and the discussion they inspire, so thank you for participating.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If this isn't too much of a burden on the art team I think this is a great little program. Getting high res and alternate images of 'in demand' cards is great. Plus it's nice to have options if a certain image fits a theme your building towards in a deck.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I'd love to see High Play dilemmas and other verbs with different property logos/creative/images delivered in a Promo-A-Week format.

I also think the schedule could use a substantial tweak. I do not like the erratic nature of the current releases, dependent on Virtual Card set releases. Consistency and Habit-Making (visiting the site, engaging in the forums) are critical.

I believe a manageable and scale-able schedule should be a consistent release every two weeks. 26 promos a year. Lock and load the card selection and creative by Dec. 1. Give the Art Team 2 weeks to do the image work. I'll design the 26 cards. Release the first Promo for 2021 the first week of Jan and then the next two weeks later, and so on through 2021. Reassess in third quarter 2021 for 2022.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
^ I do like this plan for its consistency. I'm never quite sure when a PAW is coming out, so it's always a pleasant surprise, but I know the whole plan was to get people visiting the site on the reg.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I like it. I’ll third what enabrantain and Johnny said, and repeat what I suggested recently, property logo change in cases where it can accommodate, is highly desired.

By scox (Johan Skoglund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jjh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:47 pm I'd love to see High Play dilemmas and other verbs with different property logos/creative/images delivered in a Promo-A-Week format.

I also think the schedule could use a substantial tweak. I do not like the erratic nature of the current releases, dependent on Virtual Card set releases. Consistency and Habit-Making (visiting the site, engaging in the forums) are critical.

I believe a manageable and scale-able schedule should be a consistent release every two weeks. 26 promos a year. Lock and load the card selection and creative by Dec. 1. Give the Art Team 2 weeks to do the image work. I'll design the 26 cards. Release the first Promo for 2021 the first week of Jan and then the next two weeks later, and so on through 2021. Reassess in third quarter 2021 for 2022.
:thumbsup: This kind of regular schedule would be very nice, bi-weekly would fit well - with monthly updates or rules and Balance team first week of the month, put these on week 2 and 4, and there's only one week without a regular article or update / month. Slot in the previous weekly newsletter as a monthly one, with development project update as well, and there would be regular and steady weekly 1E contents continuously. As a teaser for tournaments coming month week 3 should work well also, 1+ week for people to sign up, and there's time for consolidating reports and text from the tournaments the month before as well.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
jjh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:47 pm I'd love to see High Play dilemmas and other verbs with different property logos/creative/images delivered in a Promo-A-Week format.
I like this a bit, to allow more powerful dilemmas to be used in different theme events. But going to far in this direction would take some of the fun of that format - using some of those cards that don't often see play. Makes it more bland.

Cards on the regular: :thumbsup:

By bchang220
 -  
Being fairly new to the game as a whole, I only just discovered this project today when I happened upon the B'Elanna article, but I'd definitely like to see it continue. With original product becoming more scarce and prices going up everywhere, it's great as a new player to have more high res promos of cards from the original Decipher run, especially in the hard-to-find sets.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]