By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
does the outpost have to match the mission affilation? or can i get any outpost?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
It has to match a legal affiliation for the mission in question. The term download is synonymous with report and therefore has be legally playable there. The further mention of ignoring the Engineer requirement confirms the fact that it is to be treated as if played there and again confirms it must therefore be legally playable there.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:56 pm It has to match a legal affiliation for the mission in question. The term download is synonymous with report and therefore has be legally playable there. The further mention of ignoring the Engineer requirement confirms the fact that it is to be treated as if played there and again confirms it must therefore be legally playable there.
:thumbsup:

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:
eberlems wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:04 am would that require Engineer for Population 9 Billion - All Borg?
also borg outpost cant even be played on earth regularely, so there must be some kind of override to the rules when dling outposts
As far as I understand it, the phrase "you may download a Borg outpost there" overrides any location based rules, but not the ENGINEER rule.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
patrick wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:18 am
Ensign Q wrote:
eberlems wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:04 am would that require Engineer for Population 9 Billion - All Borg?
also borg outpost cant even be played on earth regularely, so there must be some kind of override to the rules when dling outposts
As far as I understand it, the phrase "you may download a Borg outpost there" overrides any location based rules, but not the ENGINEER rule.
thats not what Professor Scott said. so what now?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
The difference is that Population 9 Billion specifies exactly what outpost can play and where. Consume: Outpost only says where and doesn't say which. Honestly, I think the bit about the Engineer really shouldn't be on Consume and should've used Pop 9 as a precedence; it may be only be there just to confirm that the outpost must otherwise be legal as I have already said.

What is really going to bake your noodle is: If they make a Neutral Zone [1E-S] mission with no affiliation icons, will you be able to download a Borg Outpost there? Sure without the gametext from Pop 9 allowing the reporting there it's not a useful, but the Romulan Outpost isn't useful either and I'd take the free Transwarp Network Gateway [DL].

Hmm scratch that, the outpost comes into play uncontrolled so no [DL] .

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
that all might be true, but i dont get the underlying principles when why and how rules are overridden and when not. this all sounds more like "yeah thats the difference on the cards so thats must be why it works"

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hopefully @BCSWowbagger will swing by to shed some light on this...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
What's the new dance again?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
@AllenGould Seems legit. Now, who here has the moves to pull that off?

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:that all might be true, but i dont get the underlying principles when why and how rules are overridden and when not. this all sounds more like "yeah thats the difference on the cards so thats must be why it works"
Figuring out what rules are overridden and when can be challenging. My general approach is what are the minimum number of rules that need to be ignored in order for the card to work.

So, in the case of Consume Outpost the normal requirements for building an outpost could all apply, a Borg player could capture and Brainwash an opponent's Fed ENGINEER to build the outpost. However, the designer's didn't want you to have to do that, hence the ability to ignore the ENIGINEER requirement. And since the Outpost does have to match an affiliation icon of the mission, the download has to come from outside the game since a Borg player may not have a Fed outpost in there deck.

With Population 9 Billion - All Borg, there are 2 rules that need to be overcome. First that outposts may not be built at a Homeworld and second the location requirements of any particular Borg outpost you wish to build. So, in order for that aspect of the card to mean anything, it has to be overriding those two requirements.

Is that a clear system for overriding the rules? Not entirely, but it was the best Decipher could do trying to fit the text into small spaces and not issue errata, something they were loathe to do. Could the CC issue errata to every card which overrides a rule to specifically say which rule is being overridden on the card? Perhaps, but finding those cards, working out the correct wording that will fit the current card templates or creating new templates to accommodate more wording, and any possibly required rules adjustments would take time and resources away from creating new cards. Is mass errata for clarification something some people would like to see? Probably, but I get the impression that it is not something most people feel is needed. To be fair, the last batch of errata was solely for the purposes to update old cards to modern wording, and we've been told to expect more in the future. So, clearly there is an understanding that such changes have value.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
9of24 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:27 pm With Population 9 Billion - All Borg, there are 2 rules that need to be overcome. First that outposts may not be built at a Homeworld and second the location requirements of any particular Borg outpost you wish to build. So, in order for that aspect of the card to mean anything, it has to be overriding those two requirements.
Pop 9 gets a bit of help from the Borg Outpost itself, which says it can play at an assimilated homeworld. Which gets you out of the "require affiliation icon" rule, and if you squint maybe it gets you out of the homeworld requirement as well. (And then the Glossary specifically answers that it does indeed duck the homeworld restriction). Doesn't say anything about the ENGINEER requirement, so I'd presume that still applies.

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]