This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hello! :)

Yup, am actually playing a game. Started December 1st, still going on now. I play my fun bogus [Bor] deck against opponent who plays my [Baj] [NA] (and some [Maq] nouns) deck.
Opponent had 90 points many turns ago, but hit some tough spots. I was able to gather 85 pts. Very close race. I decided in a very last-ditch effort to use Assimilate Counterpart to earn pts. But my Table went missing on Day 1 or 2 (during an extremely funny part of the story that I intend to share in the full game report, if y'all like)! But I could still use the [Obj] to battle, to remove at least some personnel. This worked, and really mucked up my opponent's crew enough to stall another few turns. But opponent then attempted a mission elsewhere...

And ignored DNA Clues to save time, before tripping an Aphasia Dev!

Would even be funny... if not for my Queen, 3 former counterparts, and Seven, all in my intruding AT on their ship! I thought I had no subsequent need for them (correctly -- if only I'd still have had my Table and scored 25 pts for [SD] [SD] [SD] [SD] [SD] ); and they possibly helped, preventing postponing my opponent's win. But now I do need them back to achieve another [BO] [Obj] , and they're quarantained. Those pesky [Baj] don't have a chance to get 4 new MED out anytime soon.

Now... the question... can my healthy other [Bor] (drones) beam unto the [Baj] ship, and actually cure the Aphasia Dev (that was triggered by opponent and affects their ship)? To rescue their high-ranking comrades? :cross:

(I am so happy I got to play a game again. 8) And such a long and funny one!)

Thanks for your time! :thumbsup:

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
there are several questions within your question...........

1. Can you board a ship under quarantine to cure a dilemma?

Yes

quarantine

When a card places a ship, facility, or planet under quarantine, personnel may board the ship or facility, or beam to the planet, but none may leave except in the following circumstances...

2. Can your borg board the ship just to cure a dilemma?

No, unless your current objective allows it.

Borg Away Team Restrictions

Your Borg may not form Away Teams (either on a planet or on an opponent's ship or facility) except when counter-attacking or when allowed by your current objective or another card (e.g., Emergency Transporter Armbands, Near-Warp Transport, Iconian Gateway, Devidian Door).

3. Can intruders cure a dilemma that is played on the opponent's ship you are intruding upon?

So... this is a yes... a sketchy yes........

The glossary specifically says that dilemma that enter play can effect any personnel, even opponent's (such as your Borg)....

Dilemmas that enter play and have continuing effects may affect other personnel, even the opponent's, after the mission attempt is over.

So it stands to reason if they can suffer the effects of the dilemma, that they should be allowed to cure the dilemma as well..........

Under Cures:

Then, if the required skills are present, it is cured, before the next dilemma is encountered. If not, then the dilemma remains in play until cured or otherwise discarded.

This establishes that the dilemma that has entered play is cured when the "required skills are present". Since your Borg are present with the dilemma, they can, I believe, cure it. It doesn't specifically say you can cure a dilemma targeting an opponent's card, but I think the word "present" is a catch all that covers that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thank you, Takket.

The intruding AT have Weyoun and a Medical, but doesn't contain a vinculum nor Interlink. So they can't cure it by themselves.

Your point #1 was clear to me, since quarantaine is an oft-experienced thing. :thumbsup:

While I do (usually...) have the limitations in mind regarding planetary away teams, I hadn't thought about your point #2, in this case. I can't beam any Borg over! (Unless I could field an appropriate [BO] [Obj] , of which I have none left.) Thanks for pointing that out! :thumbsup:

So, it seems I could have my Cube dart over to their location and share skills, though -- and then beam them safely back. Given your dissertation under #3, that would work. :thumbsup:

But OTOH, under the same banner, it would then seem that if my opponent's AT on a planet was affected by some dilemma and my Borg (or whomever) happened to be there and have the cure, they'd automatically cure my opponent's trouble just by being present. :thumbsdown: I'm sure we've never played it that way before, and it isn't how it was meant. Perhaps that's what you meant with sketchy? Or perhaps "to cure" is a voluntary ("may") action, that I could refrain from if I so chose...? (I'll have to look that up shortly.)

But "... if the required skills are present ..." sound pretty mandatory...

Any further thoughts on this?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Unless I'm mistaken, since your [Bor] intruders legally formed the intruding away team already, it would be legal to beam more personnel to that existing away team under the Borg Away Team restrictions, right? The rules say you cannot form new away teams, it does not say you cannot beam to existing away teams.

Other examples where this works:
Borg Servo assimilates an opponent's personnel, meaning you now have an away team of that single personnel and you can beam more personnel to join that away team.
Undetected Beam-In allows you to download four drones, which legally creates an away team. You can later beam more Borg to join them.

I haven't played in years, so check my understanding on this. I could be wrong.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for your insights, Mo! (And even more for having your avatar, so I could see it.)

I really didn't think this -- what you said -- was the case... that you could add to an Away Team because that's not the same forming one!? That might pose some possibilities...

The way I always read those rules was, "Where personnel movement is concerned, [Bor] may not do anything that ends up creating an AT -- they may only form and rearrange crews".
Sending in more personnel ends up, as I saw it, as 'forming a new AT consisting of the combined original constituents and newcomers' (because of how the rules are worded on planetary ATs).

So, I was wrong about all that, and adding to a [BO] away team is quite possible...? :)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Don't take my word for it though. I haven't played the game in about 7 years or more. But that's how I used to play it back in the day. I could be wrong on that.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Quick reply! :thumbsup: Be sure, though, to read my edit of the above, regarding your avatar! I managed to find a bigger version immediately; I love the reference to that episode (and how, in it, Quark plays with his action figures).

Snap, now I have to edit again: "venimus, vedimus, assimilatimus"!? Can I quote you on that?? Genius. :lol:

So. Can anybody corroborate the Marauder's points?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Haha please do. That goes back to my old handle "TheBorgHive" where I used that as my quote. It's sort of Latin. Assimilate doesn't really have a word but otherwise it translates as "We came, We saw, We assimilated". Which isn't quite as catchy as "Vini, Vidi, Vici" (I came, I saw, I conquered), but it works. :borg:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Just be careful to watch out for this part of the rules though:
However, compatible personnel who are "stopped," disabled, or in stasis are separated from the primary Away Team or crew and form a second, separate team.
This usually comes into issue when you beam to an opponents peeps to Assimilate Species and they stop from battle and you probe and get rid of the objective as part of resolving it. You can't fortify that group because you can't beam bc you know you would be forming a new away team. Need to bring in a new objective to fortify when eot happens and they all come together.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]