By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
If a lone Rogue Borg Mercenaries is played on a ship, a personnel battle immediately occurs, and despite the fact that these Borg will easily be defeated, does it at least stop the crew and delay them a turn? Trying to put together balanced decks and wondered If a single copy for each would be worth it.

Thanks

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Yup, it stops the crew.

It's the primary reason why it's on the OTF ban list.

It's an essential pull for OTSD sealed also :D

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yes. This along with QBypass is cheese as old as the game from premier. Note that this card is banned in OTF tournament play for this reason.

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thanks, that’s what I was hoping. I am thinking that a single copy in each of the three 40+ card decks would not be overpowered for the purposes of casual kitchen table play, but it easy to see why it was banned in tournaments.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Praetor wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm Thanks, that’s what I was hoping. I am thinking that a single copy in each of the three 40+ card decks would not be overpowered for the purposes of casual kitchen table play, but it easy to see why it was banned in tournaments.
Which decks? Am I missing something? :borg:

Not sure if we chatted yet, Praetor. Welcome (belated). Will you join the beginners' tourney on 21.04.03? (Also fine if you're already past beginning! :wink: )
If you're new to online play, we can help you! Let me know. (Send me a PM, if you like.)

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:[quote=Praetor post_id=543517 time=<a href="tel:1614021127" data-original-title="" title="">1614021127</a> user_id=5500]
Thanks, that’s what I was hoping. I am thinking that a single copy in each of the three 40+ card decks would not be overpowered for the purposes of casual kitchen table play, but it easy to see why it was banned in tournaments.
Which decks? Am I missing something? :borg:

Not sure if we chatted yet, Praetor. Welcome (belated). Will you join the beginners' tourney on 21.04.03? (Also fine if you're already past beginning! :wink: )
If you're new to online play, we can help you! Let me know. (Send me a PM, if you like.)[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome.

I have no interest in tournaments though, I’m just a casual player. I am putting together three decks using the introductory 2-player game as a template. I tried to build more competitive decks but I could not find the right balance between them given the cards I have. I found the introductory two player game deck lists to be rather fun, forcing me to use cards that probably wouldn’t make the cut in more competitive decks but add a little more flavor and keep the three decks balanced. The one dilemma per planet mission also speeds up the game a little which I liked.

The reason I asked about Rogue Borg Mercenaries is that I don’t quite have all the cards to match the deck lists (don’t want to use virtual) and wondered if using a single copies would be useful replacements and if I understood the card correctly.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Praetor, this thread slipped past me for the last days. I found it buried under lots of tabs on my phone today. Sorry for the late reply...
Praetor wrote:I have no interest in tournaments though, I’m just a casual player.
That's fine! I was a casual player for the longest time, and it didn't stop me from hanging out here and socializing -- and learning. Feel free to ask and chat and tell us about your experiences! And if you have game reports, also great! (Supposedly, there's things in the works for casual games... :) )
What I'm saying... please keep coming to play with us. :) (If not in Lackey, then here in the forums. :thumbsup: )
I am putting together three decks using the introductory 2-player game as a template. I tried to build more competitive decks but I could not find the right balance between them given the cards I have.
Please, assemble those decks in the deck builder once you're satisfied with a working version! And publish them ('make public'), and post their links in e.g. the Starter Deck topic or in my Traditional Open Training deck topic.
That way other traditional players might be able to find them!
I found the introductory two player game deck lists to be rather fun, forcing me to use cards that probably wouldn’t make the cut in more competitive decks but add a little more flavor and keep the three decks balanced.
I like this. I think my TOT decks are like that -- I also don't have an unlimited pool of cards at home. And the improvising is part of the puzzle fun for me.
The one dilemma per planet mission also speeds up the game a little which I liked.
So -- just curious -- you never play with more than 6 dilemmas each? Never done that... (I never owned the introductory decks.) How long do your games usually last?
Last edited by SudenKapala on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Praetor
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
In the past I have played 3-4 Dilemmas per mission, but without Red Alert, much card draw, and the addition of events and interrupts that slow the opponent down, the one dilemma per planet mission seems just about the right compliment that doesn’t necessarily turn the game into a marathon. It’s a nice balance. I’ve only played a few games against myself but I’d say anywhere between 20-45min. So very swingy. Hit on the right personnel at the right time while your opponent is still searching for a ship and it can be over quickly.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Praetor wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:21 pm In the past I have played 3-4 Dilemmas per mission, but without Red Alert, much card draw, and the addition of events and interrupts that slow the opponent down, the one dilemma per planet mission seems just about the right compliment that doesn’t necessarily turn the game into a marathon. It’s a nice balance. I’ve only played a few games against myself but I’d say anywhere between 20-45min. So very swingy. Hit on the right personnel at the right time while your opponent is still searching for a ship and it can be over quickly.
Thanks for explaining! :) (I just don't know the word, "swingy", but I get the idea.)

Myself, I like a short game, but I love 4-day marathons. (Well... I had only one. Did have a few 3-day, and many 2-day stints. 8) ) It has its drawbacks, though -- I might look into a format where we take out all but 6 or 12 dilemmas... :o

PS: Oops. I forgot to add the links to the threads where you could post links to your deck lists, to help out other traditional / limited pool players. remedied! :thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
StellarCartography wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:59 pm I do miss Rogue Borg Mercs, for the exact reasons people have listed. Stopping your opponent was always a good strat.
Hard disagree.

I spend 6 turns building up a crew and you stop them with a cost-free interrupt?

Terrible Design. :thumbsdown:

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:03 pm Hard disagree.

I spend 6 turns building up a crew and you stop them with a cost-free interrupt?

Terrible Design. :thumbsdown:
I think the biggest sin of RBM was being able to do it every... single... turn...

If you could only do it once per game, then it wouldn't have been a nightmare, even at no cost.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I have been thinking about making a house rule so that you can't play less than 5 in a bunch. That way you have to put in the effort of drawing so many. Sure, there is a chance that they might win the battle, but it gives you a few turns to recover occasionally.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
winterflames wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 am I have been thinking about making a house rule so that you can't play less than 5 in a bunch. That way you have to put in the effort of drawing so many. Sure, there is a chance that they might win the battle, but it gives you a few turns to recover occasionally.
I think if I was to errata/house rule it- you could play at any number, but the crew/away team isn’t stopped unless someone is stunned.

This puts a soft floor in the number being at least = the lowest strength personnel in the group.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
RBM should only stop 1 crew member per interrupt. You want to stop my whole crew, then you need to play multiple copies. The fact that 1 copy stops the entire crew is where the abuse starts. Naturally the ability to stack strength becomes a problem is opp drops 5+ copies and a Crosis and begins murdering everyone. Maybe if it had a cap of Str 7 or something would be fine and then Crosis adds +2 might work. That's still 8 interrupts and stops 8 crew.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]