Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
User avatar
 
By DJstormtrooper (Tyler Fultz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
#544572
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm I may not know a lot about HoF, but it seems like Tyler here is considering a comeback :shifty:
Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
User avatar
 
By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Goateed
Community Contributor
1E American National Second Runner-Up 2020
#544576
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm I may not know a lot about HoF, but it seems like Tyler here is considering a comeback :shifty:
Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
Wow... and you played 1e for how many years? :wink:
 
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
#544586
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm I may not know a lot about HoF, but it seems like Tyler here is considering a comeback :shifty:
Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
20 years is a long time. Maybe one day you'll return when CC figures out what's wrong with their game and fix most of the issues. Waiting 5+ years to ban dumb cards is not how to solve the issues. I'm glad people across the world have made been making own fb pages and cards and are doing their own thing. Hopefully someone besides CC will stand out in the near future and make CC realize there going down the wrong tube.
User avatar
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Grand Nagus
Donor
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2020
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2020
#544632
StateofSTCCG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:15 pm Waiting 5+ years to ban dumb cards is not how to solve the issues.
Point of order here; it's actually 10 years. :shifty:

We're happy that people keep playing this game. If folks want to use their own house rules for kitchen table games, we think that's awesome. That being said, we also would love to see you all hosting tournaments regularly (COVID dependent, of course) and posting the results here. Designers regularly use tournament data to inform how they make cards. Hearing about your experiences is important to us.
User avatar
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Legate
#544660
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm I may not know a lot about HoF, but it seems like Tyler here is considering a comeback :shifty:
Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
I'd love your perspective on my bridge crew format alternate rules, I think it deals with some of this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZeP ... 7Eu_k/edit
User avatar
 
By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Wanderer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2019
2E British National Second Runner-Up 2019
#544666
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:50 pm
StateofSTCCG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:15 pm Waiting 5+ years to ban dumb cards is not how to solve the issues.
Point of order here; it's actually 10 years. :shifty:
Yeah, when you put it like that, it seems kinda crazy. I wonder if the uptake in voting and HoF play would be greater it people knew they could potentially exclude stuff like Nothing to Lose and The Weak Will Perish as of 2021? Surely they've been played enough to warrant an induction?


DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
I can see that. I think when I started playing (2008 at the kitchen table, 2009 at the TrekCC), it was 90% for "the game" and love of Trek, 10% playing with friends, and making new ones. As the years have passed, the ratios have definitely changed. The game obviously has flaws (but not insurmountable), and I definitely play better things, but when I want a Trek-hit and/or to hang out with the London crew, 2E's still got a pull.

Plus, I think new stuff's that coming out (and soon to come out) is still pretty good and innovative, considering 2E's fairly rigid framework and wording architecture.
User avatar
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Legate
#544671
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
I know that you, like others here, had sort of thought that Star Wars: Destiny was that better thing, and then FFG beat it with their ineptiwand. Now I'm sceptical of joining in anything collectible in future... any guesses what you'll move on to next?
User avatar
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Legate
#544672
Danny wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:03 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:50 pm
StateofSTCCG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:15 pm Waiting 5+ years to ban dumb cards is not how to solve the issues.
Point of order here; it's actually 10 years. :shifty:
Yeah, when you put it like that, it seems kinda crazy. I wonder if the uptake in voting and HoF play would be greater it people knew they could potentially exclude stuff like Nothing to Lose and The Weak Will Perish as of 2021? Surely they've been played enough to warrant an induction?
Agreed: let's hear it for 5 years in '21!
User avatar
 
By DJstormtrooper (Tyler Fultz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
#544674
Fritzinger wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 am
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm Wife and I played a game last night just for old times' sake. 2E holds up pretty well, but the flaws in it grow more apparent with time. There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great. Trek and me had a good run (20 years!) but it's time to move on to better things.
I know that you, like others here, had sort of thought that Star Wars: Destiny was that better thing, and then FFG beat it with their ineptiwand. Now I'm sceptical of joining in anything collectible in future... any guesses what you'll move on to next?
I really liked the gameplay of Legends of Runeterra. The design is so smooth. And it's free! But you also miss out on the human element and tournament-day excitement when you go to a fully-digital card game. There was only so much I could play it... For the 1st time in decades, I don't have a go-to cardgame.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy the rights to Aliens v. Predator and remake that game. :shifty:
User avatar
 
By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Praetor
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2020
#544701
DJstormtrooper wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm There's too much text on the cards, the games take too long, the rules overhead is too great.
Image
Marry: There's too much text on the cards
Fuck: the rules overhead is too great
Kill: the games take too long
Espionage Mission - Federation?

And the Thematic Objectives are: File Annual Re[…]

In any case, this is proving to be a very interest[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to my homie, @MrVorlon ! I hop[…]

Humq: Shiny New Toy

It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through th[…]