This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
winterflames wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:48 pm I am just saying that every additional hurdle in the deck building process is a point of no return. The more steps in the process, the fewer decks will actually get made. A flat limit of number of copies is something I can accept since I had that in most of the game's, but it hampers some 1E cards which were intended to be played in multiples. Wormhole and Rogue Borg come to mind. If I can only have 3 Wormholes in the deck, I can't even count on using them once in a game unless I use kahn, STP, or wormhole missions.

But I admit that my Funness Value for games is How Many Played, not How Often Won.
The fact that you immediately gravitated to mentioning two cards that prove my point is interesting. Both have had to ref'd, nerfed and/or banned in the otf environment.

The point of what I'm proposing is to replace all the concern of bans an erratas with short lists that are basically: your recipe is one spicy spice, one medium spice and as much basic ingredients as you want. I've done this very thing with Star wars destiny. It's not that big a deal.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think you are missing my Choice Paralysis point. I conceded that limited copy count isn't that bad, but would shut down certain cards. Beating the dead horse and ignoring the mule running away.

The more hurdles you put into deck creation, the more you complicate the pregame. Right now someone can sit down and put all the federation cards from premier into a deck with 6 trancendence and a couple suprise, add continuing and finest and pick 28 dilemmas and they have a deck. Making them check 4 (2 or even just 1) checklists to see if the deck is legal is a complication. I like how the current deckbuilder tells you which cards make you deck not legal for which formats. If your idea includes a that it might be fine.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:48 pm I think you are missing my Choice Paralysis point. I conceded that limited copy count isn't that bad, but would shut down certain cards. Beating the dead horse and ignoring the mule running away.

The more hurdles you put into deck creation, the more you complicate the pregame. Right now someone can sit down and put all the federation cards from premier into a deck with 6 trancendence and a couple suprise, add continuing and finest and pick 28 dilemmas and they have a deck. Making them check 4 (2 or even just 1) checklists to see if the deck is legal is a complication. I like how the current deckbuilder tells you which cards make you deck not legal for which formats. If your idea includes a that it might be fine.
You're seriously going to argue that the massively complicated game that is 1e is somehow made ubearably complicated by a couple of short checklist columns?

Based on your example it seems that you are focusing on super casual 1e play. Which, wouldn't be impacted at all. It would be just as easy to whip such a simple deck together under my proposal. This is what's called a straw man argument. You set up an easy to defeat enemy "literally any additional work" then called it evil and beat it up.

Fact is that playing in otf already requires checking against the ban list, the glossary and the errata list before building your deck. This would be just another easy step.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I expressed my opinion. It is your format. You do it how you like. I am just some random dude on the internet.

I do admit to not being a True Serious Traveling Tournament Player.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I advise against playing 1E seriously. That way lies madness.

Also, I don't want to engage with the Long Term Plan. I prefer to remain friends and not get caught up in romantic entanglements.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 pm I advise against playing 1E seriously. That way lies madness.

Also, I don't want to engage with the Long Term Plan. I prefer to remain friends and not get caught up in romantic entanglements.
"Me, the boy, the 2 droids and questions asked!"

"What is it, some kind of local trouble?"

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any romantic entanglements."

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 pm I advise against playing 1E seriously. That way lies madness.

Then I guess I am fully mad. :wink: :cheersL:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:38 am"Me, the boy, the 2 droids and questions asked!"

"What is it, some kind of local trouble?"

"Let's just say we'd like to avoid any romantic entanglements."
"Well, that's the trick, isn't it? And it's gonna cost you something extra. Two draws at the Cafe des Artistes. In advance."

"Two draws? We could almost buy our own seed slot for that!"
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm But who's going to design the deck, kid? You?
You bet I could! Y'know, I’m not such a bad deckbuilder myself! We don’t have to sit here and listen--

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:26 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm But who's going to design the deck, kid? You?
You bet I could! Y'know, I’m not such a bad deckbuilder myself! We don’t have to sit here and listen--
@Hoss-Drone we can pay you 2 thousand (pennies) now... plus 15 (pennies) when we win Worlds...
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]