For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 220 posts

Should We Have a Fifth Round?

Yes
40%
No
40%
No opinion
20%
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Mr.Sloan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm My vote is clear too.
In high level tournaments deciding the number of rounds might be important, but even then i´d say deciding it at the start would be the way to go.
At the start of this event, we had 18 players, which meant we needed 5 rounds.
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 pm
In high level tournaments deciding the number of rounds might be important, but even then i´d say deciding it at the start would be the way to go.
I know. Still if i where at a real life event and suddenly the amount of rounds would be changed because 2 leave that would be strange and i never experienced it. So i am pro remaining rounds in high-level tournaments. But since i am not TDing anymore, its just my preference as a player.
Mr.Sloan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:24 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 pm
I know. Still if i where at a real life event and suddenly the amount of rounds would be changed because 2 leave that would be strange and i never experienced it. So i am pro remaining rounds in high-level tournaments. But since i am not TDing anymore, its just my preference as a player.
I don't find anything strange about adjusting the length of a tournament to suit the revised number of players, in-person or online. It makes logical sense to me. I am content to play the 4 rounds, but nothing says people can't keep playing their same decks against each other after the tournament is over. That used to be a frequent occurrence at live events.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
I'll just openly say this.

I was soooooooo close to adding a certain interrupt to my deck, but I chose not to last minute, as I want to see how these new factions play out.

If you pair with me and have a treaty, don't worry about it.

In fact, my deck relies on your deck working normally :wink:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 amI was soooooooo close to adding a certain interrupt to my deck, but I chose not to last minute
Thanks! :D

I'm so glad I won't have to face Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (I hope I spelt it right?) (I did! :shock: ).
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
sexecutioner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 am I'll just openly say this.

I was soooooooo close to adding a certain interrupt to my deck, but I chose not to last minute, as I want to see how these new factions play out.

I'm actually kinda surprised by people not being prepared for it tbh. I have been working on a Staging Ground deck myself, and have three different ways to get my Treaty either back or get a new one in play. If you tag it, good for you, you have slowed me down for maybe a turn.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:17 am
sexecutioner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:15 am I'll just openly say this.

I'm actually kinda surprised by people not being prepared for it tbh. I have been working on a Staging Ground deck myself, and have three different ways to get my Treaty either back or get a new one in play. If you tag it, good for you, you have slowed me down for maybe a turn.
Why are you assuming people aren't prepared for it?
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Armus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 am Why are you assuming people aren't prepared for it?
Simply inferring from what Niall is saying. I have no idea if they are or are not, just stating it can be worked around from my own research. For all I know, there could be zero Staging Ground decks in this event or several.

IMHO, if someone is going to Nanoprobe the Devil 4 times to keep killing the treaty, I mean...congrats, I guess. That player must be really hyper concerned about Staging Ground to build that much hate into their deck. And odds are that doing so left them open to exploitation from some other design (e.g. TNG Borg or whatever else folks have up their sleeve.) Gotta love meta choices!
I for my part do not play Staging Ground in this event cause of the devil. And I probably won't as long as the Devil is around in its current form. What stops a 500 card deck with excessive draw engine, modern hexany, qs tent and so on to put devil 40+ times in the draw deck additional to tent and retrieval?
Last edited by Caretaker's Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am
Armus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:20 am Why are you assuming people aren't prepared for it?
Simply inferring from what Niall is saying. I have no idea if they are or are not, just stating it can be worked around from my own research. For all I know, there could be zero Staging Ground decks in this event or several.

IMHO, if someone is going to Nanoprobe the Devil 4 times to keep killing the treaty, I mean...congrats, I guess. That player must be really hyper concerned about Staging Ground to build that much hate into their deck. And odds are that doing so left them open to exploitation from some other design (e.g. TNG Borg or whatever else folks have up their sleeve.) Gotta love meta choices!
I think it's more a function of the online big rats saying "Hey this is the release event, everybody is going to be playing new cards and it's all Treaties" ... I mean, sure it's probably the right move if you really want to win this thing (and from what I've heard, more than a few players do), but this ain't exactly online Masters or (not a) Worlds, and part of the "fun" of a release event is supposed to be building new decks with new cards.

But people are going to play what they're going to play.

Clearly I wasn't enough of a big rat to do my own "meta call" and roll in Aggro Borg with Dukat and Bareil as my counterparts to dismantle whichever homeworld would wreck my opponent's strategy.

Lesson learned: If you want to win online, you can only play top tier stuff... so much for trying new things... :?
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]