For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Maybe it's time to discuss/re-examine if online events should be rated. I've expressed my concern about the online environments ripeness for cheating and it seems that the general consensus is that the "internet tough guy" phenomenon infects the monthly online environment also.

Maybe the default setting needs to be unrated and then they are made rated when they are of sufficient importance only.

At a minimum I think release events shouldn't be...you just keep players like me out. I've had fun playing these casual recorded games and its honestly making me question if I ever want to play anything rated ever again. Worlds included.

Mod Edit [Boffo97]: This thread has been split from the Dogs of War Release Event Thread.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
I think this is simple --
If ratings are more important to you than playing this game, then don't play this game and protect your rating.

If you enjoy this game more than having the highest rating possible, then play this game.

To say everyone else can't have rated, Online Play experience because you want to protect your rating AND play, well, then, that is where we will part ways.

TK
bosskamiura wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm I think this is simple --
If ratings are more important to you than playing this game, then don't play this game and protect your rating.

If you enjoy this game more than having the highest rating possible, then play this game.

To say everyone else can't have rated, Online Play experience because you want to protect your rating AND play, well, then, that is where we will part ways.

TK
Did I say they couldn't have it at all ever? No.

I earned that rating through a lot of hard work and I have every right to care about it.

There's a lot of reasons that a lot of top players are not around anymore and one of them is this attitude: that we don't get to have fun at tournaments bc we have to live with the target on our back always. Driving us away is as much if a concern as driving away new players.and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you wouldn't care bc driving us away is probably the only way you'll ever sniff our air.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm Did I say they couldn't have it at all ever? No.

I earned that rating through a lot of hard work and I have every right to care about it.

There's a lot of reasons that a lot of top players are not around anymore and one of them is this attitude: that we don't get to have fun at tournaments bc we have to live with the target on our back always. Driving us away is as much if a concern as driving away new players.and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you wouldn't care bc driving us away is probably the only way you'll ever sniff our air.
Why are you so angry? Because I pointed out you avoid playing to protect you're rating?

Be a player who puts their rating on the line consistently like MVB, Nate W, or even me (back before I quit). The three of us each have been over 1900, but we never quit playing during these times.

"Sniff our air"? Hahaha.

You've never beat me Kevin, I've beaten you. Remember that.

TK
bosskamiura wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 pm
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm Did I say they couldn't have it at all ever? No.

Why are you so angry? Because I pointed out you avoid playing to protect you're rating?

Be a player who puts their rating on the line consistently like MVB, Nate W, or even me (back before I quit). The three of us each have been over 1900, but we never quit playing during these times.

You've never beat me Kevin, I've beaten you. Remember that.

TK
Still the same troll as always. Still the same internet tough guy.

Funny that the guy who quit is lecturing someone about playing and putting rating on the line. Why don't you come back and put your money where your mouth is instead of popping in to troll. No I'm sure you're happy with your own personal mountain top of 1900 built on the back of never qualifying for a day 2 of a worlds. Makes total sense that you would jump in to defend the idea of sharking low stakes events since that's all you ever did.

Edit:. Just so we are all on the same page:. Tk's rating in 1e is currently 1685 having topped at 1729 and is 1787 in 2e having topped at 1913 which you only held for....oh 0 more events and the got over again once and again, couldn't hold it. Wow, blowing me away with your prowess. I'm glad you have that one win in a throwaway online game where I played a casual deck to clutch to since honestly, I don't even remember that game since it meant nothing to me.
Last edited by Hoss-Drone on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 pm Still the same troll as always. Still the same internet tough guy.

Funny that the guy who quit is lecturing someone about playing and putting rating on the line. Why don't you come back and put your money where your mouth is instead of popping in to troll. No I'm sure you're happy with your own personal mountain top of 1900 built on the back of never qualifying for a day 2 of a worlds. Makes total sense that you would jump in to defend the idea of sharking low stakes events since that's all you ever did.
Trolling, or just pointing out yet another example of how Angry Kev wants his cake and to eat it too?

I don't care about my rating anymore - because I've stopped playing. I organize communities now, friend. That's my legacy.

Now stop hiding that rating, put your big boy pants on and play!

(I'll shut up now before you threaten to sue me too! )

TK
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
It’s impossible for you to hit one of my nerves. You’re too new to this.

EDIT: A true champion doesn’t hide - they play. They put their rating on the line.

EDIT: Don’t reply to this or there might be a legal threat made against you.

EDIT: A throw away game? You mean that game when you rage quit never to be seen again?

TK
Last edited by bosskamiura on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Guys, can you take this discussion to PM so we don't have to lock this thread? I don't think anyone else is interested.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Per request, I have moved this discussion out of the Dogs of War Release Event thread into its own thread.

I will repeat my request however to move the personal sniping to PM, and discuss the topic on its own merits, rather than flaming the other participants.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 pm At a minimum I think release events shouldn't be...you just keep players like me out. I've had fun playing these casual recorded games and its honestly making me question if I ever want to play anything rated ever again. Worlds included.
On the other hand, how is any other player ever supposed to catch up if all the ratings points are tied up with players who won't play for keepsies?

Is the solution just changing the displays to max(score), so even when you start losing you still get to show your high score?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
A number of semi-interconnected statements, regarding all this...

I have no idea where -- i.e., in what camp or solution -- my below-stated opinions end up in. That's for others logic/causality (which I can't yet see) to decide. I just wanted to chime in, as relatively new player.

I like having a rating; but much more, I like earning achievements, and while I think those two are tied ATM, I'd not like to see achievements go out the window for me (as a low-level player).

So that may entail encountering big shots. And that's where I have to manage my expectations, as Lore said.

I would've like to have seen a more diverse player base, with fun (not "shark"?) decks, participate in low-level events.
Right now, it is easy to get the "play same player five times" achv; but I think I already have it, so now I'd like to get on and play more different people. 8)

I would hate to see low-level play become "shark"-infested waters. I appreciate high-level (veteran) players who sometimes bring out fun and risky decks, so that I may experience and learn from that, instead getting wiped off the table.

Also, I'll admit, I don't hate the notion that a veteran could -- in theory -- play their deck super offensively against another veteran in a tourney (so that they both have a good match), but then can tone their strategy (with the same deck) down a few notches to at least give me some semblance of hope (and LATER wipe me off the table). (So that I can have a good match and get to really try out my deck, and the veteran can chalk up "a good deed" of teaching me a bit more than otherwise possible; and also chalk up their win.)
I don't care if that can be seen as patronizing. It gives me more play time in a match, and more opportunities to learn and cards to experience. And I like doing it in a tourney / rated environment because... well, that has a more realistic, and exciting, and definitive feel to it. And because I like to be a part of the community, not just watch from the sidelines (like I did 2016-2020).
(Which is not to say I don't also play casual -- no secret I'm a big fan of that, too.)
I'm not even sure if people are doing this "opponent-adaptive strength play" thing, or not -- and that's okay! Usually I lose anyway, but at least I get to play and practice.

All the better, of course, if there were an official forum (i.e.: achievements! :D ) where veterans and n00bs could interact with each other with more risky, and fun, and playful decks.
Without the fear of being wiped off the table in the first turn (which, yes, I do still fear) OR losing a hard-earned rating. Perhaps cut the ties between those 2? Or do so partially -- for a certain type of 'playful' OP environment? But I don't know what the repercussions are of that.

Having absolutely no chance, or options, at all would spoil the game for me; just losing the game after 90 or 105 minutes of Trekking, doesn't. (Obviously.)

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think perhaps the solution is to come up with a fun anti NPE format.

Is that OTF with a lot of the lockout cards and combos removed or is that a new format where we take out a lot of the old decipher stuff that some people feel is OP but has been elusive to the banhammer.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:47 am NPE as in "Negative Play Experiences" or "New Player Experience"?
Is that a joke? :P :lol:
But, because the question has been asked seriously in recent times:
Everybody here, except for one (relatively new) person, has used this abbrev. for the concept of "Negative PE". So, just for the sake of less confusion, let's stick to that?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]