For other non-gameplay topics, especially those related to Star Trek and the Star Trek CCG, non-gameplay surveys, trivia questions and puzzles, constructive commentary and more.
  • 1314 posts

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
He has apparently spent 769 years in Starfleet and is an Ultra Mega Deluxe Double Secret Admiral.
Attachments:
182125924_10219415252475460_8203694498516621263_n.jpg
182125924_10219415252475460_8203694498516621263_n.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I often imagined that to be Data's future. Just sitting comfortably behind a Starfleet Admiral's deck, running everything and refusing to retire, as he doesn't suffer from old age.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 pm He has apparently spent 769 years in Starfleet and is an Ultra Mega Deluxe Double Secret Admiral.
Jokes aside, I feel sorry for the guy in the photo, because the medals on the front are photoshopped. (Or else this guy deserves an award for staggering them precisely the same way each loop).

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
If Tuvix memes are wrong, then I don't want to be right!
Attachments:
46wf0lxqyhw41.jpg
46wf0lxqyhw41.jpg (140.63 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 pm He has apparently spent 769 years in Starfleet and is an Ultra Mega Deluxe Double Secret Admiral.
Jokes aside, I feel sorry for the guy in the photo, because the medals on the front are photoshopped. (Or else this guy deserves an award for staggering them precisely the same way each loop).
You think someone willing to wear that uniform isn't Type A enough to pull that off?

Seems on brand for a Type A Star Trek nerd to me...

(Being a Type B Star Trek Nerd, I totally can't relate, but I know it's a thing).
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:30 pm You think someone willing to wear that uniform isn't Type A enough to pull that off?
I'm thinking someone who has that nice a jacket knows enough to not double up on insignias. The bars of medals, sure - I've believe someone wants to go all cray on service record. (Although again - it looks *very* copy/paste to me). But the clasps at the top doesn't read legit to me - it requires someone to go through a lot of effort to make a pretty nice TMP jacket, but then doesn't have any idea of what those jackets would look like. It looks like someone got handed it and told "yeah, it's like scout badges, they just go everywhere". (And the fact that it's all duplicates rings very false to me as well.)

In the end, who cares if it's real or not - I couldn't find an original source so it could be this guy meme'd himself for the lolz. But I'd hate to laugh at a Trekkie that someone else decided to make famous, y'know?
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:56 pm I have never understood people's fascination with that episode.
I think it's because it's a really big meaty topic, and Voyager kinda just glides over it.

But meanwhile, for something more stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-InJXDMwI

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
For me, it's just the whole idea that Janeway (and to a lesser extent the crew) preferred the two separate so she's seemed to have no moral dilemma during or since that episode about essentially murdering this being who categorically did not want to die. The only exception to this was The Doctor who still essentially handed Janeway the loaded gun.

If Tuvix wasn't as good as either Tuvok or Neelix and the crew would have had a higher survival rate and Tuvix volunteered to be split, it would have been a completely different episode (perhaps even with Tuvix needing to be split or he would die as Vulcans and Talaxians really shouldn't be compatible for something like that).

Imagine if Tuvok and Neelix's first words after being split were "Captain! What have you DONE?!" And of course the episodic nature of the show letting neither Janeway or the crew ever think about it again lends itself to the sociopathic nature of the incident, as the article Armus linked alludes to.
Attachments:
hRn5INf.jpg
hRn5INf.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 pm For me, it's just the whole idea that Janeway (and to a lesser extent the crew) preferred the two separate so she's seemed to have no moral dilemma during or since that episode about essentially murdering this being who categorically did not want to die. The only exception to this was The Doctor who still essentially handed Janeway the loaded gun.

If Tuvix wasn't as good as either Tuvok or Neelix and the crew would have had a higher survival rate and Tuvix volunteered to be split, it would have been a completely different episode (perhaps even with Tuvix needing to be split or he would die as Vulcans and Talaxians really shouldn't be compatible for something like that).

Imagine if Tuvok and Neelix's first words after being split were "Captain! What have you DONE?!" And of course the episodic nature of the show letting neither Janeway or the crew ever think about it again lends itself to the sociopathic nature of the incident, as the article Armus linked alludes to.
Yeah, none of that makes any sense to me. It’s like we watched completely different episodes.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Why Spot shouldn't be allowed in the Away Team.
Attachments:
184175379_1975307829302929_1284138848334407796_n.jpg
184175379_1975307829302929_1284138848334407796_n.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 pm For me, it's just the whole idea that Janeway (and to a lesser extent the crew) preferred the two separate so she's seemed to have no moral dilemma during or since that episode about essentially murdering this being who categorically did not want to die. The only exception to this was The Doctor who still essentially handed Janeway the loaded gun.

I always viewed the decision in terms of "military leaders routinely give orders knowing that they likely kill one to save more than one so if we are ok with that idea at all how is this not the same?". I think that the "he could do both jobs equally" part of the article is way overly generous. He has to sleep and can't do tactical and be in the kitchen at the v same time.

I agree with janeway's decision I suppose.
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:50 pm I always viewed the decision in terms of "military leaders routinely give orders knowing that they likely kill one to save more than one so if we are ok with that idea at all how is this not the same?".
I guess it depends on whether you consider Tuvok and Neelix to be "dead" at that moment. For instance, what if the proposition was "We'll send Kim off to get vaporized by the aliens of the week, but in return they'll resurrect the original doctor and helmsperson from the pilot" - is that a hard military decision, or a mad general playing favorites with lives?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation