This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Jpropati
 -  
Hello all,

I'm seeking general interest in a new Solo Variant for Star Trek TNG CCG card game.

I played Star Trek TNG CCG card game back in the 90's yet never played it solo. I know there have been a number of solo variants out there but I never took the time to check them out or play them. Plus, I've always wanted to make my own Solo variant and I thought that if I looked at the ones here it might influence me on what I wanted to create.

So, I have a completely new idea for a solo variant and it goes kind of like this:

Here is the game layout "Still in the play test phase"
Star Trek TNG solo Variant V1.JPG
Star Trek TNG solo Variant V1.JPG (116.04 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
My idea is not to cover any episodes but to play a game that covers the 5 year mission. There wouldn't be a seed deck and you would setup the game in a certain way. It can be played using just the original ST-TNG 1st edition complete set of cards or cards from other TNG sets. It would definitely be configurable with the ST TNG expansion cards.

One of the things I thought the card game should have is a full neutral zone so I added the idea of having a Neutral Zone that you could travel in and possibly encounter Romulan ships for battle or Romulan personnel when using an away team.

The basic victory conditions are; you have 30 turns "30 cards in the draw deck" to complete the five year mission. You must earn at least 150 points and collect 3 artifacts of which 2 can only be found in the Neutral Zone.

Some of the things that I do different in this solo game from the original card game is:
1. You don't have a starting hand, you can build up a hand as you draw a card each turn.
2. You will be representing the Federation and will control two star ships during play.
3. You will create a personnel draw deck that will be based on some character you choose and the rest random. These personnel will enter the game and be posted at the three outposts but will only stay there for three turn and then go back to the draw deck. During this time you can move your star ship to the outpost to pick up a character.
4. You will begin with a single officer of your choice for each of the two star ships.
5. You have a main draw deck that will have Events, Dilemmas, Nothing Happens cards "which are basically non-usable cards", and equipment cards. This deck makes up 30 cards for the 30 turns.
6. You not only have a space line but you also have a Neutral Zone to travel in.
7. Each ship can carry up to 6 personnel and one shuttle.
8. There are cards that represent non events called "nothing happens" or "nothing there" for when you complete a dilemma under a mission card and randomly see if there is an artifact under the mission card.
9.When traveling through the space line and upon reaching an outpost to pick up a single personnel, you must move to or through the middle outpost before you can go back and pick up another personnel.
10. Each turn a new personnel will show up and the previous will move one space to the right or left. On the third move the personnel card is transferred back to the bottom of the personnel draw deck which would allow the personnel card to enter again at a later turn.
and more.

Components:
You can use cards from the entire complete set of the 1st edition Star Trek - The Next Generation CCG game cards or use cards from other Star Trek TNG sets as long as you have at least the minimum card totals shown below:

If you have the full Star Trek TNG CCG set, you will need to use cards from the following types:
2 - Federation Shuttles
11 - Federation Starships
57 - Federation Personnel cards
9 - Artifacts
21 - Planet Dilemmas
19 - Space Dilemmas
11 - Equipment
38 - Events
39 - Interrupts
28 - Planet Missions
21 - Space Missions
3 - Federation outposts "if you have two neutral outpost cards you can use them"
8 - "Nothing Happens" cards which will be the non-aligned affiliation cards "gold colored border".
5 - "Nothing Found" cards which will be the non-aligned affiliation cards "gold colored border".
6 - Romulan starships
20 - Romulan personnel

NOTE: If you don't have the complete Star Trek TNG card set then you will need to use cards from other Star Trek TNG CCG sets.

I'm currently play testing and putting the rules together but I wanted to see if there was any interest still in a solo variant for ST TNG CCG card game. If so I would love to hear some feedback on what I have so far and if you have any ideas that I might be able to use to enhance what I have.

Here is a game photo of the layout.
ST TNG CCG CARD GAME.jpg
ST TNG CCG CARD GAME.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1455 times
Thanks for checking this out and I hope to hear from you.

Joe
Last edited by Jpropati on Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi! What Keii said. I am a potential target for this endeavour of yours (I have been following as many solo versions of this game I could find), and at least I'll be reading along to see what you create.

Edit: ooh I love the graphic. :thumbsup:

Good luck! :cheersL:

By Jpropati
 -  
Hello all,

Great to hear. I will be posting updates here and on BoardGameGeek.com
in the following Star Trek TNG CCG thread if anyone is interested.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/266060 ... on-ccg-car

I'm currently working on the rules so I can get a version posted as soon as possible. I'd like for people to play test this and let me know what they think.

By Jpropati
 -  
My main goal is to make the game playable using only the Star Trek TNG set which I would assume most players have. So far testing has only been with these cards. I do have other sets such as Q Continuum, Alternate Universe and the Borg so I will make sure these cards can also be used.

It may be a little weird for most people since you don't start out with a 7 card hand but as you draw cards per turn some of these cards will create a hand. I also found that cards which tell you to do something against your opponent will be used against the main draw deck with the mindset that this is somewhat of an opponent you are playing against.

I've tested most of the actions and mechanics that seem to work well but I need to play test the area with the Neutral Zone and ship to ship attacks. I feel this would be more realistic to what is in the TV series. This is actually what got me into making this version of the solo game. I've watch the series a large number of times and every time I get through the series I would get more ideas for the solo variant. I finally said enough is enough and started writing down my ideas. So far I haven't play a full 5 year mission yet since I'm focusing on the parts and the different areas of play. I need to get everything to mesh and then I can tighten up the victory conditions and point totals.

It always made more sense to me to already have one or two ships at the start instead of waiting for your ships to be drawn. I also had a neat idea to always have a cycle of personnel that would stay at outpost for a certain amount of time but then disappear as if they went to work somewhere else. The would show up again later as if their assignment was completed and they became available again at the same or a different outpost. This to me made more sense since it would give you the ability to move your ship over the outpost and pick up the new personnel to help you complete missions. Since the missions and dilemma are random you need a certain amount of diverse skills from a large number of personnel to complete the number of mission required for the 5 year mission.

If anyone has any interesting ideas they would like to see incorporated into the variation please let me know. The revolving personnel, the Neutral Zone, and the ship to ship or away team battles will hopefully add a new twist to the solo game.

By Jpropati
 -  
Hey everyone,

Here are the steps to the setup of the cards to create the play area for the 5-Year mission. Please check it out and let me know if it makes sense. If you have the cards please go through the setup and let me know if I missed anything or if the steps don't make sense. You can use just the cards from the initial Star Trek TNG CCG set. If you don't have all these cards you can use equivalent cards from other expansions.

Synopsis: You and another star ship will embark together on a five year mission to boldly go where no man has gone before. This solo variant will explore the outer reaches of space and beyond for a time frame of five years. During this five year mission you will continue to man your ship with a diverse crew, explore the galaxy and try to accomplish space and planet missions by using the starship's crew or sending an away team, resolve dilemmas and events, discover rare artifact, find and use equipment, and enter the neutral zone to battle Romulans ship to ship or on away teams, accomplish secret Romulan mission, find rare artifacts and resolve dilemmas.

During game play your "5-Year Mission draw deck" will be your timer with every card drawn being the equivalent of two months of time. When the last card is drawn, your five year mission will come to an end and it will be time to see just how successful your mission was. At the end of the five years you will tally your score and if you obtain a score of 150 or greater and discover at least three artifacts in the process "2 artifacts can only be found in the Neutral Zone", your five year mission was successful and you win the game.

This solo variation does not use the normal rules of play and is of its own creation. It follows the mechanics of Star Trek CCG game play and has required cards and a Victory Point system to determine a win/loss for victory conditions.

Components:
You can use cards from the entire complete set of the 1st edition Star Trek - The Next Generation CCG game cards or use cards from other Star Trek TNG sets as long as you have at least the minimum card totals shown below:

If you have the full Star Trek TNG CCG set, you will need to use cards from the following types:
2 - Federation Shuttles
11 - Federation Starships
57 - Federation Personnel cards
9 - Artifacts
18 - Planet Dilemmas
18 - Space Dilemmas
10 - Equipment
35 - Events
35 - Interrupts
20 - Planet Missions
20 - Space Missions
3 - Federation outposts "if you have two neutral outpost cards you can use them to replace two of the Federation outposts"
8 - "Nothing Happens" cards which will be the non-aligned affiliation cards "gold colored border".
9 - "Nothing Found" cards which will be the non-aligned affiliation cards "gold colored border".
6 - Romulan starships
20 - Romulan personnel

NOTE: If you don't have the complete Star Trek TNG card set then you will need to use cards from other Star Trek TNG CCG sets.

Below are the following steps to setup the cards into their card types and decks:
Game Setup:

Creating the Space Line
1. Take 20 Planet Mission cards and shuffle them together. Deal out [3] cards face down.
2. Take 20 Space Mission cards and shuffle them together. Deal out [3] cards face down on top of the three Planet Mission cards. Shuffle these [6] mission cards together and deal them out face up in a horizontal line. This is the Space Line your ships will travel through to accomplish your five year mission. Place the remaining Space and Planet Mission cards off to the side in their separate piles face-down, they will be used again later.
3. Take the 9 Artifact cards and shuffle them together. Deal one card face down. Now place [5] of the non-assigned gold borders "which I will reference as Nothing Found" cards on top of the artifact card and shuffle them together to make a deck. Deal out each card by placing it face down under each mission card in the Space Line. Place the remaining Artifact cards off to the side, you will be using these again for the Neutral Zone.
4. Take the 18 Planet Dilemma cards and shuffle them together. Deal out one card at a time face down under each of the three Planet mission cards within the Space Line. Place this deck off to the side to be used later for the Neutral Zone.
5. Take the 18 Space Dilemma cards and shuffle them together. Deal out one card at a time face down under each of the three Space mission cards within the Space Line. Place this deck off to the side to be used later for the Neutral Zone.
6. Place a Federation outpost card below the 3rd or 4th mission card starting from the left; your choice.
7. Place a Federation outpost card at each end of the Space Line next to the mission cards "you can use two neutral outpost cards if you have them". This is where the Federation personnel will enter the game from the Federation personnel deck.

Creating the Neutral Zone
8. Take the remaining Planet Mission cards and shuffle them together. Deal out [3] Planet Mission cards face down. Place the remaining Planet Mission cards in their designated space in the play area.
9. Take the remaining Space Mission cards and shuffle them together. Deal out [3] Space Mission cards face down on top of the three Planet Mission cards. Place the remaining Space Mission cards in their designated space in the play area.
10. Shuffle these [6] mission cards together and deal them out face down in a horizontal line above the Space Line leaving a 1-card gap between them. This is the Neutral Zone Space Line.
11. Take the remaining Artifact cards and deal two cards face down. Now place [4] of the non-assigned gold borders "which I will reference as Nothing Found" cards on top of the artifact cards and shuffle them together. Deal out one card at a time face down under each of the mission cards within the Neutral Zone Space Line.
12. When you enter the Neutral Zone mission card you will turn it over and find out if it is a Planet or Space Mission. Once the type of mission is discovered and attempt the mission, you will draw the required "space or planet" dilemma card from the specific deck for that mission type.

Choosing your two Federation starships and officers
13. Look through the Federation starship cards and choose two ships. Place them side by side directly below the Federation outpost card that is below the Space Line. Place the rest of the ships back in the box.
14. Look through the Federation personnel cards and choose two officers with Command ability. Each officer will captain a starship. Place each officer in front of you; one to the left and the other to the right. Place a Federation shuttle card next to each officer.
15. Take the 10 Equipment cards and shuffle them together. Deal one equipment card to each Officer of each starship.

Creating the Federation personnel draw deck
16. Take the remaining Federation personnel cards and separate them into stacks representing each of the seven classifications. Search through each stack and pick one person from each classification of your choice:
• Officer
• Engineer
• Security
• Medical
• Science
• V.I.P.
• Civilian
17. Place these seven personnel cards face down in a stack. Next, shuffle each of the classification and then randomly draw two cards from each classification stack. Place these fourteen cards face down on top of the initial seven personnel cards you chose earlier to make a Federation personnel deck. Now, shuffle this entire deck and place it face down to the left of the play area.
18. Draw two cards from the Federation personnel deck and place each card face up on top of each outpost card that sits on the outer edges of the space line. Now place the Federation Personnel deck off to the side in its designated space.

Romulan ships and personnel
19. Place the 6 Romulan ship cards off to the side.
20. Place the 20 Romulan personnel cards off to the side.

Creating the 5-Year Mission draw deck
21. Take the 35 Event cards and shuffle them together. Deal eight Event cards and place them face down.
22. Take the 35 Interrupt cards and shuffle them together. Deal eight Interrupt cards and place them face down on top of the Event cards.
23. Take the remaining Federation Personnel deck and shuffle them together. Deal four personnel cards and place them on top of the Event and Interrupt cards.
24. Take the remaining Equipment cards and shuffle them together. Deal two Equipment cards on top of the previous cards.
25. Take eight non-assigned gold borders "which I will reference as Nothing Happens" cards and place them on top of the previous cards.
26. Shuffle these card together to create the 5-Year Mission Draw Deck and place it in its designated space.
27. The game is now ready to play.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation