This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hello, I am going to Worlds and I would like to win. The trophies @JadziaDax8 picked up (and shared on the CC Discord) look lovely and I want the one that says, "World Champion, First Edition, 2021." However, in order to win Worlds, I first have to win several actual games against increasingly challenging opponents. That "Winning Games" bit is the bit where I always run into trouble.

One of the most important ingredients in Winning Games, I am told, is Reading The Meta, which is some kind of arcane ritual performed with Ouija boards and/or The Guardian of Forever. (Speaking of cards that have dropped out of the meta...) Apparently, in order to win games, I have to anticipate my opponents' choices and then act on them. That's a problem for me, because the cumulative rule makes a lot more sense to me than human psychology.

So: what do you good folks think everyone else will be playing at Worlds, so I can anticipate their moves and defeat them? What would you be playing if you wanted to be the World Champion?

To be clear, this thread is intended to be just fun speculation. However, if you are going to Worlds and would like to answer by posting your private decklist link here (or PM'ing it to me privately), I will be grateful and absolutely will not reciprocate.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I have no idea what I'll be playing (I'm notoriously last minute when it comes to decks - even making new decks the day of the event which drives Amber crazy)

My best guess would be TOS-something or a battle deck. If you can beat those, you'll win Worlds.

Michael
 -  
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 pm My best guess would be TOS-something or a battle deck. If you can beat those, you'll win Worlds.
Ay, there's the rub! Beating one of those: doable! Beating both: quite the challenge!

But that does seem like a good meta read. Is TOS still great, after all the trimming it received from our friends at the Balance Barber Shop?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:51 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 pm Is TOS still great, after all the trimming it received from our friends at the Balance Barber Shop?
Yup
*I* just won Continentals with it. If that's true, it must be OP.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:39 pm
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 pm My best guess would be TOS-something or a battle deck. If you can beat those, you'll win Worlds.
Ay, there's the rub! Beating one of those: doable! Beating both: quite the challenge!

But that does seem like a good meta read. Is TOS still great, after all the trimming it received from our friends at the Balance Barber Shop?
If you want to keep speed solvers in check while also staying alive against battle decks, I recommend a nice mid-range Vulcan Power solver. You can get enough weapons out to go shoot a quick Jumpstart ship, while also enjoying the battle-protected time location as your home base (and if other [22] want to fight you there, my response would be "let them come!")

... At least that WOULD HAVE BEEN my recommendation if errata hadn't decided to punch that deck so hard in the dick as to render it unplayable.

I just gave this 2019 office hours a re-listen recently. I'm amazed at how well my take holds up almost 2 years later. Maybe @SirDan and the Balance Team can give this a fresh look and see if I'm on to something.

Maybe you can play [22] [Vul] and prove me wrong. Sarcasm aside I think Wisdom has enough tools to still be tier one, but you'll be racing against speed solvers and turtling against Borg, and you'll be about half a tick slower as a tradeoff.

Anyway, good luck! :cheersL:
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 pm However, if you are going to Worlds and would like to answer by posting your private decklist link here (or PM'ing it to me privately), I will be grateful and absolutely will not reciprocate.
:D :D :D

Michael, please send Team Road Warriors your deck list as soon as you settle on one. Please and thank you. :cheersL:
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm curious myself. I won't be playing in worlds but plan on playing in the other events. I hope to interview the Champ as well.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
StateofSTCCG wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm I'm curious myself. I won't be playing in worlds but plan on playing in the other events. I hope to interview the Champ as well.
You will certainly be welcome. Please preregister, as nearly all the side events are sealed and I need head counts.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
If I were going, I'd be looking at three things:

[Kli] [OS] using Hero of the Empire and point drain dilemmas to hose Fed decks.

[Vid] because reasons.

Treaty: Alpha Quadrant Alliance because it's filled with great personnel.

And as a runner-up:

[Fed] [OS] and using Assignment: Earth in case of menacing, time-traveling Borg.

-crp

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
if I was going I would probably want to try Maquis since it was such a long time since I played them - and I really liked it I remember.
Or maybe an Alpha Dominion/Cardassian deck with some Son'a just because it's cool.
 -  
Community Contributor
These are some great ideas, guys. I'm starting to feel like my decision to spend the past month refining my [1E-DS9] [Fer] / [Dom] deck was... maybe a mistake?

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]