This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Dizzle of Borg (Dizzle of Borg)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hey all!!!

I was just wondering (and I didn't see it asked here) If there were any plans on Making 1E expansions based on Discovery, Picard, or Lower Decks?

I've really enjoyed all of the shows and would love the chance to have Saru or Michael Burnham on my ship. :D

Thanks for any info!!!

:borg:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I really love the new shows, too, but we will not be making any cards from them in the near future.

From the FAQ:
The Continuing Committee would very much like to make use of this source material in our virtual cards. However, we feel that using these properties would tempt fate in terms of copyright complaints. Decipher had the license to five TV shows (The Original Series, Deep Space 9, Voyager and Enterprise) and the first ten movies (The Motion Picture through Nemesis). Additionally, we occasionally use images from The Animated Series. We feel that since even the newest of these properties is nearly twenty years old, it’s safe to continue to use them. The newer properties are making money for CBS/Paramount right now, and we feel that they would be more likely to send us a Cease and Desist letter for making use of them.

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:49 pm I really love the new shows, too, but we will not be making any cards from them in the near future.

From the FAQ:
The Continuing Committee would very much like to make use of this source material in our virtual cards. However, we feel that using these properties would tempt fate in terms of copyright complaints. Decipher had the license to five TV shows (The Original Series, Deep Space 9, Voyager and Enterprise) and the first ten movies (The Motion Picture through Nemesis). Additionally, we occasionally use images from The Animated Series. We feel that since even the newest of these properties is nearly twenty years old, it’s safe to continue to use them. The newer properties are making money for CBS/Paramount right now, and we feel that they would be more likely to send us a Cease and Desist letter for making use of them.
TWENTY MORE YEARS! TWENTY MORE YEARS!!
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I'd love to see CC cards of the currently produced Star Trek.

Alas…
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jjh wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:55 pm I'd love to see CC cards of the currently produced Star Trek.

Alas…
I can't watch Lower Decks without thinking about the awesome cards I feel I'm capable of, but alas cannot, make. Sadly I'll never get Jennifer the Andorian, Badgey Has Some Issues, or Sarcastic Vulcan Salute as cards.

-crp

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
but the cc isnt selling cards. i dont think showing framed screenshots is forbidden, otherwise all dreamcards would get lawsuits

new series could attract a younger audience

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:39 am but the cc isnt selling cards. i dont think showing framed screenshots is forbidden, otherwise all dreamcards would get lawsuits

new series could attract a younger audience
No probably not, but CBS is unlikely to make money selling the rights to make a game based on the the Decipher era series, but they could make money selling the rights to a current card company who could make a game based on modern series. If we try to make cards based on that and CBS decides that they want a piece of the action themselves, they will shut us down as part of that process. If we steer clear of these series and CBS still decides to sell the rights, they can still ignore us and let us continue.

The problem with dreamcard makers is that they are individuals and not an organization; they CAN Cease and Desist us, but not 100 individual dreamcard makers.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
what else is the cc than 100 dream card makers?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Players

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:55 am what else is the cc than 100 dream card makers?
Eh... I dabbled in a couple of Dream Card contests over the years, but if that's all this community was, I doubt it would've held my interest this long.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
yeah its a little more organized, but in a legal way its just fan stuff.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
As I understand it, TrekCC was also blessed off by Decipher (The original license-holder) in the end, which makes them more legitimate than just a bunch of dreamcard makers. Whether they have stayed true to that legacy is up to you to decide.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i dont know what decipher has to do with the cc, but i kinda doubt they got the licence for the tng era and tos trek stuff. so whoever has the rights right now, could shut down cc anyway
even if cbs decides to publish a trek card game, it would be completely different to 1e and 2e, so no conflicts there.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:34 pm i dont know what decipher has to do with the cc, but i kinda doubt they got the licence for the tng era and tos trek stuff. so whoever has the rights right now, could shut down cc anyway
even if cbs decides to publish a trek card game, it would be completely different to 1e and 2e, so no conflicts there.
You see not to understand. The rights to ANY Star Trek Game are owned by CBS. They own the Intellectual Property. CBS knows about us, but they can safely ignore us. If we do anything that threatens their IP, then they have 2 choices....

1) Ignore it, and thus loose their rights to the IP which would cost them a fortune

2) Officially take notice of those parties threatening the IP, and take legal action (Cease and Desist for example).

Given that they will certainly choose the option to keep the rights to the IP, they will have to shut us down the moment we threaten the IP. Since we have always operated under the original Decipher license, which covered properties that are all now 20 years old or older, we don't pose a threat to the current IP.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
afaik you can buy a license for publishing for a certain time. i doubt decipher or cc have the lifetime rights to tng trek. its already a grey zone at best. its just as long as no money is involved there is no issue. with either series. cc is a fansite, nothing more. its self awareness seems mislead though.

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]