For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 94 posts
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello all,

We're releasing a new expansion, The Trial Never Ended, in just one week. As it's all about Q (and [Q] ), I figured this would be a good chance to run a themed release event tournament. So let's do exactly that!

This will be a 3 round OTF Complete Constructed tournament kicking off on Monday, November 8th - i.e. one week after the release of The Trial Never Ended. I figured that, even though the cards will be legal upon release, giving everyone a week to explore them, the associated errata, and get Lackey updated would be kind.

In the event we get more than 8 players, we'll either split up into pods or add a 4th round to the event. Probably splitting into pods, as November/December tend to be crowded for everyone between the various holidays. In any event, sign up, and let me sort it out; here's the link to preregister:

Q-uality Q-haos Release Event

Of course, what good is a release event without some special, release themed deck building restrictions? And as The Trial Never Ended is all about Q, how about some similar special rules:

You can play any deck you like, provided it meets the following conditions. Note: These were amended slightly on 4 November. Make sure your deck is still legal!
  • You must seed a copy of Q-Flash to open the Q-Continuum. Note this will be the post-errata version (seen here) not the currently visible version.

[*]Your Q Continuum side deck must contain exactly 1 copy of every non-banned [Q] card in the game. It's a total highlander side deck!
  • Your Q Continuum side deck must contain at least 13 different cards, at no more than 1 copy of each.
  • You are limited to a maximum of 4 copies of Miss Q in your deck.
  • Revolving Door, The Genesis Effect, Mortal Q, and Guinan are banned. No dodging or shutting down Q-Flash fun.

That's it! Want to play Borg? Do it, just bring Q. Itching to try out Staging Ground that's okay, just make room for Q. Haven't played in the [1E-DQ] in awhile? Bring some Kazon, just don't forget Q. Get the idea?

For prizes, I'll be purchasing and distributing the contents of 1 First Edition tournament kit. If each and every player posts their decklist to the tournament page within a week of the tournament's end, I'll double that and get 2 tournament kits, doubling the prize pool. Sound good?

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
geraldkw wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:47 pm Too bad there isn't a non-aligned Wesley Crusher that could be required in every deck.
Now I am totally seeding TMW just so I can get him into play for Wesley Gets the Point.

Also, just double checking here - it looks like Q's Planet is currently the only [Q] card on the OTF Ban List. Am I correct?
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I would be interested in this but the requirement to use every q card in your flash deck ruins my fun ideas. Not to mention no requirement to actually have to use q dilemmas to trigger flash justt makes this another "play cutthroat deck with -1 seed card".

Pick a lane charlie. Either silly q fun or play whatever you want
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I have had requests to:

1) Loosen the 1-and-only-1 copy per Q card restriction. You would still need to run 1 of everything, but could run multiples.

2) Require the use of dilemmas that trigger Q-Flashes.

3) Ban Mortal Q.

Any objections to these changes? #2 and #3 are the ones I'm leaning towards, but if there are a lot of people asking for #1 I could be convinced.

-crp

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:47 am I have had requests to:

1) Loosen the 1-and-only-1 copy per Q card restriction. You would still need to run 1 of everything, but could run multiples.

3) Ban Mortal Q.

Any objections to these changes? #2 and #3 are the ones I'm leaning towards, but if there are a lot of people asking for #1 I could be convinced.

-crp
Do this and I am in for some nonsense.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:47 pm 4) Wesley Crusher can mix with any affiliation (assimilated if Borg)

;-)
Bwahahaha!

And you MUST play with him.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:47 pm 4) Wesley Crusher can mix with any affiliation (assimilated if Borg)

;-)
[Bor] Shut Up! of Borg

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:47 am I have had requests to:

3) Ban Mortal Q.

-crp
Since we are playing digitally if you remove the 1 of each only rule, someone can put 99999 Penalty Boxes or The Naked Truth and it won't matter if there is one of the others. You could say you must seed between 1-3 of each card and that means people can strongly alter the odds without removing all doubt and it's more like a game with physical limitations instead of a video game that someone has hacked to allow 99999 whatevers.

The problem is that makes things more complicated and there might end up being illegal decks because we're playing Fizzbin and people forgot it's Tuesday.

Banning Mortal Q is fine.

Require at least one of the Q flash causing dilemmas I could go either way. I am not sure why people would play some cutthroat deck in a release tournament(and I feel like the Q dilemmas might actually be good enough as disruption if good combos are set up anyway), but I think the 99999 copies is something we might expect when given open-ended choices.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm I am not sure why people would play some cutthroat deck in a release tournament
Were you around for the Dogs of War release event last spring? 2 new treaty-based factions, multiple players running stupid high copy counts of The Devil

Sharks gonna shark, man. Release event or no. You don't have to like it, but you best prepare for it if you want to play.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Agreed on the point that you still have to put in place some kind of restriction on the flash deck or someone will do the massive flash overload.

I think instead of the "you must use every q card" i would have preferred something along the lines of "you must use 13 different [Q] cards and no more than 1 copy" and just call it an homage to the qtent. :cheersL:

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:43 pm
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 pm I am not sure why people would play some cutthroat deck in a release tournament
Were you around for the Dogs of War release event last spring? 2 new treaty-based factions, multiple players running stupid high copy counts of The Devil

Sharks gonna shark, man. Release event or no. You don't have to like it, but you best prepare for it if you want to play.
Yeah I would rather just play the game for fun but the tournaments are when I can play so I'll prepare for the worst as best as I can.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]