This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hi folks,

Please use this thread to ask questions directly to the design team of Second Star to the Right. Through the magic of the internet, they will edit their responses directly into your posts - as they have time, of course. Please keep the questions on topic, and start separate discussion threads if you wish to go more in depth into a topic.

Your design team is:

Paddy Tye [KazonPADD]
Derrick Marsh [HoodieDM]
Niall Matthew [sexecutioner]
Allen Gould [AllenGould]

Have fun!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
How did each of you feel about the decision to split the set into two? What factors contributed to your decisions about which cards went into SSttR?

-crp

I think it was the right call, as there was a clear differential between the “easy to test” factions where we were confident with the cards, and the “hard to test” factions which were less close to being ready…

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
How many cards that were 'ready' were pushed to the second set to make for a proper split into two equal 'mini sets'?

It really depends on your definition - the split is largely on theme, so if the theme wasn't 100% baked, can any of the individual cards be considered 'ready'?

There are a few [Fed] & [Kli] cards that got pushed to Paradise Lost but as we haven’t driven for those ones to be ready for this release there may still be some changes to those. It was the first time we’d split a set like this, so we identified a few that we could release later without effecting the playability of the released factions. I can certainly think of one card that was held back and didn’t make the final cut.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Brad sent me.
Tell him I said "hi", and ask if there's gonna be another run of sweatshirts any time soon. (He'll know what I mean.)
Tell Brad to take a look on Facebook for a spoiler with 6 Easter Eggs!

That being said....

Will [CF] [Fed] and [CF] [Kli] have distinct flavors that can differentiate them from other eras?
I’d say that in addition to obvious HQ themes, they each have some distinct tricks up their sleeves…

Though I feel the Feds have a distinct movie feel to them, Klingon players are in for a wild ride...
 -  
Prophet
Was there something you realized late should have been in SSttR but isn't? Or something you pushed off to the 2nd half you regret not having here?

-crp

A d***** m***** (starting with the letter 'G') has the perfect theme for this set, but you'll all have to wait...

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
so... seriously... yesterday at work I was trying to access a large air handling unit. It was high pressure inside and running, so it was very difficult to push the access door open. While trying to push it open i was saying "Give me genesis!!!!!!!!!" (no, no one was around me to hear this.......)

Now it's a card!

Okay here is my question........... how do I use this? It seems this card only gives me an advantage if I steal a mission, since I can't use it on my own mission... I assume you put that restriction in there because the card was broken otherwise?

But I can still use it to drop on my opponent's mission to make it worth 0...

okay that's cool, but why don't I just seed GD under my mission (which can be any mission i want rather than those restricted by the card) which costs me the same 1 seed slot?

Sure I can download Kruge for basically an easy 10 points if i keep GD on his ship (his 15 plus losing 5 for the download of him), but then I can't use GD on a mission anywhere.

Other than download Kruge, I'm searching for the answer to: "What extra advantage do I get for putting up with the restrictions this card puts on me that make it better than just seeding/using GD anywhere I want?"

So there’s a lot going on with this card!
Firstly, it kills the doubling for BOTH players, so if your opponent was planning a 2-mission win using Genesis, they’ll need to solve a third mission.
The focus of the objective is to support the lesser-used options with the Artifact (and discourage the popular one).
Zero-bombing is great if you’ve locked your opponent out of one mission with Dead End and you can then make sure it’s not just a temporary delay!
The Kruge option is the more Klingon focused option. You could draw into Kruge (or download using Kronos One) for 15 points, or use the objective to grab him for 10 points instead. Between that and Reunite Legends, that’s up to 25 bonus points. Throw in Arbiter that’s a whole 3rd mission.
Another upside of using the objective is gamesmanship. If your opponent is using Kobayashi, a seeded Artifact is a red flag where to seed that! Now your opponent could have multiple potential targets for where is should go, or where their toughest combos should seed.
So similar to Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner, this adds options to how you want to play!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Any hope of getting the one major personnel of the rank most often overlooked in Star Trek, Master Chief Petty Officer?

Specifically, Janice Rand in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (There's also three in Star Trek VI but I only found that out once I looked up the rank in Memory Alpha.)
Sorry, but we overlooked that!
But seriously, at least now we know for next time!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm curious about the wording on Admiral Bill's special skill. Why is it "play as admirals?"
Its just to allow them to report for free to Office of the President. Seemed more appropriate to focus on Admirals than presidents or ambassadors!

My first thought was something to do with Inspection, but that's exchange anyways, do that wouldn't work as is. I guess the Bajoran guy that has a similar ability extends free reports and similar wording would perhaps make it seem like you could get another report out of it rather than just expanding the pool?

Also, why do you hate Once More Unto the Breach? Clearly this was the right spot for it to come back from it being relegated to ... That *other* edition of which we shall not speak.
Generally, when we design a set we look at what cards that group needs first, and any conversions are secondary. A member of Creative suggested using Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, and we stole the odd universal personnel from 2E, however Once More Unto the Breach was not raised at any point!

Lastly, did anyone come up with any fun combos to stack guess who's coming to dinner with in playtesting? That's the one I'd be most concerned about as the restriction to just quo'nos maybe leaves a door open to stack it with non-CF decks.
The fact that using non- [CF] personnel / ships resulted in reduced Range and one less card draw meant that combining [CF] and non [CF] cards needed to be really good to justify. We found that with Fed decks we needed a harsher lock, but we didn’t find such a need for the Klingons.

As a longtime CF Klingons player (since the beginning wooo -- oh wait, damn that [CF] means I'm super old now :( ) very impressed with this whole set. And all the universals that play free at Great Hall :D Sorry Gorath/Korchoth, make way for better options, yay!
Kor’choth remained a useful option in my Klingon decks!

Well done guys.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
princedetenebres wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:12 pm I'm curious about the wording on Admiral Bill's special skill. Why is it "play as admirals?"
If I had to guess, Regime Change.

Now, questions...
Are we getting any ❖ ships? Any Cool ships? Any Vulcan shuttle enhancement?
One unique ship in this set. There are others in Paradise Lost though…

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
How long did it take to get prisoner Martia's download of you dirty rat to go to hand? And was it dilemma shenanigans that caused that particular parenthetical?
It was flagged by Rules for Odo in Dogs of War and we used the same wording here.

We originally started with a joke download of “Not Everyone Keeps Their Genitals in the Same Place” but we couldn’t decide what to do with it so dropped it for some existing shape shifter tech!

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, what's up with the [SKR] Sha Ka Ree icon on Red Spock?
So I think you’ve already grasped that this will be something Sybok related. It’s also clearly something to do with compatibility.

There are currently a trio of affiliated personnel with a similar mixing ability to allow them to mix with each other and Sybok. But those are purely name based, which doesn’t allow us to expand that group. You’ll discover more about this soon…

I’ll also note that this is an UNLOADED icon, so it does nothing in itself, just referenced on its own card and other cards.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Before I zoomed in and saw it was the “rock pillars” I thought it was a cake dome lol
[SKR]

Intrigued to see who will have the pillars icon??? Controller Sulu and Uhura?
I imagine folks can think of four pretty easily...
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation